• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diverjes06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    GREENWOOD
    I've been considering an open gun in 9 Major. I'd like to get suggestions concerning loads for 9 Major. I have been unable to find anything that would generate sufficient velocity in the loading manual I have. I assume jacketed bullets would be necessary, but what weight? Are certain powders better than others?
    Don't want anyone to give away secrets, but any information would be appreciated.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    You won't find any in loading manuals. 9mm major loads are a little tricky as they are above the SAAMI specs and are not designed for your over the counter 9mm pistols. hS6 and autocomp are 2 of the more popular major powders.

Tomt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    7.8 grains of Vihta Vuori N37 with Montana Gold 124 Gr. JHP. works for me in my STI gun with a KKM barrel. Whether this recipe works for anyone else is pure conjecture

Last edited:

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I would be careful recommending major loads publicly. Please take caution and work your way up. A chrono is a must.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My only exposure to the 9mm Major was from a customer. He would buy 9mm brass 5000 or 10,000 at a time. He shot major with a custom gun. He said he didn't trust the brass more than 1 time. That seems kind of to be an indication of something that really should not be done.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    My only exposure to the 9mm Major was from a customer. He would buy 9mm brass 5000 or 10,000 at a time. He shot major with a custom gun. He said he didn't trust the brass more than 1 time. That seems kind of to be an indication of something that really should not be done.

That seems fairly common with 9 major loaders, most only use the brass once.

Tomt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Actually the 7.8 grains does not always meet major power factor so I have factored in working up the load. Reloading ammunition must always include the safety factor. Using Vihta Vuori N37 is almost self limiting since the case is usually totally full and the powder is being compressed. Information and the accumulation of data is always the responsiblity of the reloader. If the reloader is not willing to do the necessary research and steps to safe loads I suppose reloading should not be considered. Your point of recommending major loads is well taken and I will change my recommendation to " 7.8 grains of Vihta Vuori N37 with Montana Gold 124 Fr. JHP works for me and should not be considered to be a recommendation for anyone else to use this setup"

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    That seems fairly common with 9 major loaders, most only use the brass once.

Is it fair to question the ethics of a person who leaves 9mm brass laying on a range that has been loaded to major? They don't trust it to shoot again themselves but it almost invariably winds up in someone else's brass bag.

True, most people aren't loading major and subsequent loadings might be fine. But I find it to be irresponsible.

With all the problems I hear about 9mm major, is it really worth it? Why not 40 or 9x23?

Perhaps I am being overly cautious.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I'm sure I've picked up and loaded plenty of brass that was shot 9 major. I think you answered your question though, the concern would likely be loading it to 9 major again and it doesn't seem those guys do that much or at all, although I can't really speak to it not shooting open.

For my puny production loads I've never had a problem. But I also inspect cases as I'm loading. IMO in would be more irresponsible not inspecting your cases or checking them as you load.

Id assume 40 equals less mag capacity and 9x23 equals more expensive.

Is it fair to question the ethics of a person who leaves 9mm brass laying on a range that has been loaded to major? They don't trust it to shoot again themselves but it almost invariably winds up in someone else's brass bag.

True, most people aren't loading major and subsequent loadings might be fine. But I find it to be irresponsible.

With all the problems I hear about 9mm major, is it really worth it? Why not 40 or 9x23?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

This is why I thnk the 9mm being so much cheaper than .38 super argument may be a bit overstated. I'll load my super brass a half dozen times, and that's just because I've usually lost it at a match or I would be comfortable loading more; I've not seen any signs of excessive pressure, eg flat or popped primers or loose primer pockets. All I need is 3-4 loadings and it actually works out cheaper than buying once-fired 9mm and using it only once.

As sv40sw45 points out, I'm sure there are 9mm loads that have reasonable pressure, but back when I bought my open gun, I saw all these problems with 9mm reliability (mainly mags/spacers and oal issues) and folks only using brass 1x, so went super and never looked back...

:dunno:

-rvb

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw

Isn't that a downside to picking up range brass? How is it the shooters fault?

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis

Is it fair to question the ethics of a person who draws conclusions based on things they hear?

The way I see it, bulged Glock brass is dangerous. I question the ethics of all shooters have unsupported chambers and don't pick up there brass.

I can't figure out how to do purple text, but that should be in purple.

:draw:

Top Bottom