• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    Should I use a different choke when shooting at a gun club where I'm 16 yards behind the launcher vs. using a portable clay pigeon thrower at home where I'm pretty much even with the thrower? What should I use in each situation?
    Also, if I'm a beginner missing most of the targets with full choke, should I change the choke or do I just need more practice?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Center of the pattern is center of the pattern ;)

I used to run a modified choke from the 16-20 yard line in trap, worked fine.
    Mostly ran a full choke though -smoking a target more fun than just breaking it ;)

Home thrower? I still run mod and full, but when the kids or wife wants to shoot, I change to Imp Cyl and toss straightaways to help them get more hits.

FWIW I used to run a 20 gauge 870 Special Field sometimes for fun, at my local trap range. 21"bbl, modified choke (fixed). It did just fine to 20 yards.
    Old timers hated it, said it was really loud :)

My main trap rigs (and dove rigs) were 1100's in 12 gauge.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Most people do well with a modified choke for most recreational shooting. Like Hookeye said, "choke for smoke" is fun after you can reliably hit. It is pretty discouraging if you never hit anything. Screw in a modified choke and have fun!

Top Bottom