Taking an extended break from pistol shooting sports, sell gear??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I only shot 3 matches last year due to family obligations, cost, and ammo. I don't plan on shooting in action pistol (USPSA or IDPA) in 2014. Should I sell my gun, mags, holsters, and other sport specific stuff or just hang on to it and hope its still the division (production,SSP) I will want to shoot in the future...

I have other interests now that the $ could go towwrds, but mostly because they don't take place on Sundays like run and gun games seem to...my heart belongs to uspsa...

BTW. Its an xdm 5.25

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    If you keep it and decide to get back into shooting it would be much cheaper and easier to grab your gear and go then have to come up with the funds to buy new. Unless you are done with it which it would probably already be sold, I would hold off for a while. If you want to change classes in the future then it is a good time for out with the old and in with the new

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see what the OP is saying. Once you get away from something, other things fill up the time and interests go in other directions. To get "Back into" something that takes as much time/effort/money is hard to do.

I have always had guns. I have always had other hobbies such as motorcycles/boats/racing. Once I left one hobby and moved on I never looked back. Boats turned to bikes and then to racing.
    Now I play with my guns. I have 5 projects (build/repair) on my bench. Relaxing.

Like I said, I have always had guns.

OP, if this is your only gun keep it. If it is just used to compete, sell it and move on.

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    I always look at it this way, is it eating anything? If not it is not costing you anything to keep it. If you do sell it and then decided you want to start shooting USPSA again it will likely cost you more to repurchase gear than you sold it for. I'd hold on to it if it were me.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I race bicycles and as such, have several. (Correct number of bicycles is the same as the correct number of guns -- N+1) Last year I struggled with racing. Heck, I struggled with riding at times. Some time away from it was what I needed. If I were to not race this year, I would NOT sell my main stash of bikes. Duplicates/backups, possibly. But not my primary ones. And if I were in the same situation with firearms, I would take the same approach. Why? Really hard to tell if you are really ready to go back to the sport if you don't have an inexpensive way to test yourself. Sell extra supplies, but keep the minimum you would need to walk back into a match or even a practice session.

If you need the storage space (easier to understand with bikes) or need the $$$, my answer MIGHT change. A buddy of mine keeps changing hobbies, sells the gear when he changes, and then has to go back and buy replacement parts when he returns to a previous sport. Each time, the changes costs him more $$$.

If after a year (or two, or five) you decide you are not going back to competition, then you can sell the rest. How much space does your gear take up?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I sold everything when I left the state (and country). I figured I am not a sentimental guy, I would just buy more if I ever wanted it again. One of the criteria was that I would be living out of a duffle bag, so storage was an additional complication. Six years later I was in a position where I wanted some of the equipment I used to have. To start with, the stuff is at least double the price. Some of what I was really comfortable with just isn't out there anymore. I have paid dearly for some of it from used sources.

In my case, I still did not have many options. If you are going to maintain your same life, and have a place to store the equipment without additional expense, I would recommend just keeping it. It will be easier to get back into the sport if a short term opportunity presents itself. Unless you need the money for food or medicine for the babies, just hang on to your stuff.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    No....unless family finances warrant an extreme change then just store them...I was heavy competitor in IPSC/USPSA in the good days (mid 80s -early 90s) because of circumstances with family and ex-wife I sold my tuned up Colt Gold Cup National Match, all my Ernie Hill speed leather and my Dillon progressive reloader

Now I come back and prices are astronomical in comparison to what I originally bought and should have kept.

Save them if you can....you won't ever have regrets

shopgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Since you are undecided about getting back into shooting, hold on. when you are sure you are done, thats the time to sell

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    I used to hunt in every season years ago.
    Work, family and, other interests eventually took over
    and I haven't hunted for a long time.
    I didn't sell thinking I might get back to hunting.
    I did sell the reloading equipment.
    A couple of months ago my sons were visiting and the
    discussion turned to hunting guns.
    I unpacked mine for show and tell.
    The wows and that's nices were loud and strong.
    Did I make the correct decission?
    I think so. After all, we can always use the money,
    but once they're gone, they're gone.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I will be keeping the rest of my shooting stuff... I am actually taking a break from IPSC/uspsa/IDPA..m to allow more time for rifle shooting, archery, hunting, and what not. I would only be selling 1 gun of mine... I have others, even a set up for limited/esp if needed... I'm leaning towards selling. If I could do production again, it would probably be a CZ any ways... Or just a 1911 like I want anyways...

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will keep my belt and mag pouches for my house gun thats set up for limited minor... At least i can play in the future if I wanted...

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    If you think there is a possibilty of getting back to shooting, keep it!! If you are convinced that you will not use it and want to fund other hobbies, then I can understand but you probably wont replace it for what you will get out of it.
    Guns are usually better than money in the bank, they seldom go down in value and they wait patiently untill you get them out and shoot them.
    Every time I have sold a gun that I like, I have regreted it a some point in the future.
    Good luck on you decision.

Top Bottom