• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    So I'm looking into getting into highpower service rifle shooting this year and it appears that most serious shooters use a shooting coat. What are the benefits of using a coat? Is it just for the recoil reduction or no-slip surface on the shoulder? Or is it that you can tighten it up during off hand for more support? Sorry if these questions are rather simple but I'm just trying to figure this all out. Also, other than Creedmoor, what other manufacturers have you worn and like or dislike? Any brands to stay away from? Thanks in advance!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So I'm looking into getting into highpower service rifle shooting this year and it appears that most serious shooters use a shooting coat. What are the benefits of using a coat? Is it just for the recoil reduction or no-slip surface on the shoulder? Or is it that you can tighten it up during off hand for more support? Sorry if these questions are rather simple but I'm just trying to figure this all out. Also, other than Creedmoor, what other manufacturers have you worn and like or dislike? Any brands to stay away from? Thanks in advance!

All the shooters use them. They provide support in all stages of the match, standing, sitting, and prone. I have a Freeland coat that is a good value but I think everyone that's played the game would agree Creedmoor's coats are top of the line. If you have the spare time, I have a couple of books on the subject that I can loan you. If you really want to do it I am happy to drag you out this spring for a match.

Then you'll be doing this:

[video=youtube_share;BQ_3OlG153U]http://youtu.be/BQ_3OlG153U[/video]

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Highpower rifle competition is the only game that causes insanity to the point that the nutjobs purchase their own straight jackets.

I have run the full course over the years, starting with a canvas "10X coat" that actually had buttons like a shirt and thin rubber pads on the elbows and shoulder. The next one was similar but thicker rubber and straps with "D" rings so you could pull it firm to help with posture in offhand. Then there was several cordura coats with "padding" in the back to help you stay rigid, then I went with a well made (but oppressively hot) custom fit leather coat, and another one that was called a hardback with stiffners to prevent any flex in your back.

This is what I have determined to be critical. 1) tight fit across the shoulders so your body does not slide around in it. 2) thick enough materials on at least the left bicept area to dampen any pulse you WILL get in the sling in sitting of prone position. 3) Rubberized elbow pads that not only pad your elbows, but do not slide around when you are planted in sitting or prone position. 4) A thin enough shoulder pad that does not distort the placement of the rifle butt into the natural shoulder pocket. I once actually removed a too thick shoulder rubber because it affected my hold, but the metal on my M1a chewed up the cloth pretty fast. 5) Straps that give you a lot of control on how much tension you want if you are wearing a sweat shirt, a uniform shirt or a T shirt. Quick release is a nice feature as you'll want that that hot coat off you as soon as your event is over in the summer. 6) if you are looking at a padded/rigid coat, make sure it has thin places that let you move your arms freely without a lot of cloth bunching up.

Champions choice in LaVergne, TN, Creedmore Sports, and Champions Shooters Supply in New Albany, OH. are good places to look. I used to like MO's in Conn, but I heard he retired.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey John, Nice video of a well controlled, 200 yard sitting rapid event. It is sure a lot calmer these days now that you do not have to start from standing position. Who was that masked man in that sexy jungle boonie hat? ;)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Nice write up Leo. I kinda miss the transition to sitting (and prone) but I understand why they changed the rule. (That's my lucky boonie, not worried how it looks).

Redwing: If you think that looks like fun, try your hand at dropping 20 rounds into the 6" center of a 36" black circle 600 yards away.. with iron sights!

[video=youtube_share;ASVWUTUTl90]http://youtu.be/ASVWUTUTl90[/video]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nice write up Leo. I kinda miss the transition to sitting (and prone) but I understand why they changed the rule. (That's my lucky boonie, not worried how it looks).

Redwing: If you think that looks like fun, try your hand at dropping 20 rounds into the 6" center of a 36" black circle 600 yards away.. with iron sights!

[video=youtube_share;ASVWUTUTl90]http://youtu.be/ASVWUTUTl90[/video]

I can't even see that far!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I can't even see that far!

Me either, I just line up the sights precisely over the tiny fuzzy spot where I think is a good place for a target. I make any compensations I think are needed for wind offsets. As long as I remember to properly calculate the bullet drop, the bullet finds it's way to the bullseye. Being able to see the target is way over rated.

Use the force Greg, use the force...........

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Highpower rifle competition is the only game that causes insanity to the point that the nutjobs purchase their own straight jackets.

Leo, That's by FAR the best description of Highpower I EVER saw!!!!! (And the nutjobs put on the coats and wear them in summer heat!!) :)

Redwing shooter, Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club hosts a Spring Highpower Clinic for beginning highpower shooters-- usually in April-- look for it on their website. It's a one day clinic and it is THE best intro in Indiana to the addiction, er, discipline! :) They will walk you through all the gear and course of fire, and answer any questions.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For the OP, a sweatshirt will get you started. Funny how all these Highpower shooters pop out of the woodwork with great advice. If you are determined to get a shooting coat, you can't go wrong wth a Creedmore.

For the vision doubters, put a black round paster on the wall and back off 20 feet or so. That is what all highpower targets look like, no matter the distance. Then to get ready for at least the offhand stage, dry fire on that paster hundreds of times and learn to "call your shots".

There is lots of good info from the US Army Marksmanship Unit here......

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/USAMU/ShootingTips.htm

Last edited:

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Leo, That's by FAR the best description of Highpower I EVER saw!!!!! (And the nutjobs put on the coats and wear them in summer heat!!) :)

Redwing shooter, Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club hosts a Spring Highpower Clinic for beginning highpower shooters-- usually in April-- look for it on their website. It's a one day clinic and it is THE best intro in Indiana to the addiction, er, discipline! :) They will walk you through all the gear and course of fire, and answer any questions.

Mog, thank you for telling me about the clinic, I will definitely have to check that out and sign up!

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    All the shooters use them. They provide support in all stages of the match, standing, sitting, and prone. I have a Freeland coat that is a good value but I think everyone that's played the game would agree Creedmoor's coats are top of the line. If you have the spare time, I have a couple of books on the subject that I can loan you. If you really want to do it I am happy to drag you out this spring for a match.

Then you'll be doing this:

[video=youtube_share;BQ_3OlG153U]http://youtu.be/BQ_3OlG153U[/video]

John,

I'd absolutely love to borrow some books off of you at some point. I had no idea they had highpower matches at Atterburry, I go shooting there in the spring/summer/fall all the time. I'd love to go to a match with you at some point, if nothing else just to observe and see how it all works.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Do you have to bring something to shoot or can you just come to see how it all works? I don't have a rifle for Highpower.

Top Bottom