"Outlaw" Turkey Shooting Competition, Tell me about them.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    My neighbor has become interested in participating in Target-Turkey Shooting matches held around the State. I recently bought a monster single shot Winchester shotgun with a 60 inch barrel to assist him in getting 'into' the sport.

I have never been to one of these competitions...Do any of you shoot in these contests? Where and when are they held? What are the rules for participation? Any limits on the firearms used? Is there an organization that oversees this sort of shooting event? Where can I get more info about this topic?

I am to shakey to try to compete, but I would love to observe how it is done.
    AL

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    My neighbor has become interested in participating in Target-Turkey Shooting matches held around the State. I recently bought a monster single shot Winchester shotgun with a 60 inch barrel to assist him in getting 'into' the sport.

I have never been to one of these competitions...Do any of you shoot in these contests? Where and when are they held? What are the rules for participation? Any limits on the firearms used? Is there an organization that oversees this sort of shooting event? Where can I get more info about this topic?

I am to shakey to try to compete, but I would love to observe how it is done.
    AL

O.K, I can help, who is shooting in the competition, you or your neighbor?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I was a member at a club that used to hold them.. helped run one once..
    the rules are up to the club.. but basiclly you shoot at a target and they measure who put a hole the closest to the center.. some provide the shell, some places let you use your own.. some limit equipment, some do not.. i suggest you go watch the local club and see how they do it..

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was a member at a club that used to hold them.. helped run one once..
    the rules are up to the club.. but basiclly you shoot at a target and they measure who put a hole the closest to the center.. some provide the shell, some places let you use your own.. some limit equipment, some do not.. i suggest you go watch the local club and see how they do it..

And you use shotguns with a 60 inch barrel? Re-read the OP. This cannot be a real question. I have been to turkey shoots and meat shoots. Nobody actually shoots at a turkey, chicken, or steer. Like you say, the results on a paper target determine the winner.

I judge this to be a troll thread.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    No Trolling here guys. My neighbor is the steady hand shooter (using a table rest etc).. I figured it was target , not live critter. I did a search and found this website that answers some of my questions.
    Turkeyshoot.net

Here is the Winchester 37 with a custom (Indiana built) barrel.

13300.jpg

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Your shoots are mostly in southern Indiana. The people that run the turkey trot festivals hold what they call the bean shoot with free ham and beans, the conservation club and vol fire dept in schnelville (sp) hold shoots till Easter from November.

There are others. It these two can get you started. The gun you got should do well. I have never shot where shells were not provided mainly red or grey Winchester AAA 7 shot. You mark up a board and cut an x into it. That x is the bullseye and they use a special micrometer optic to see how close to the x you hit.

You are going to want to put about 50 pellets per shell into the target to do well consistently. Then again I have won meat with shotguns putting as few as 35 on a board. Some of it is luck. Lots of it is getting the pattern to hit perfect where you make the x.

To to hold the barrel up most use jack stands. AO scopes of 24 power and up can help in where your pattern is hitting on the board.

Make sure you are shooting the correct target in the correct lane. Once I had a gentleman next to me shoot 10 shells into my target besides my 8 shots. I won a half pork off that board.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Thanks for the info. I will be an observer soon, as my neighbor tries his skills. A friend of his is active in the sport now, using a 48 inch Winchester model 37a. We bought the 60" and a 36" at the auction in Clayton last week. Since I bought the guns,we will split any prizes he wins. Makes a good partnership.

BTW- RE the troll judgements, I will be attending todays, meet-n-eat in Greenwood...My first 'contact' with INGO folks. If you are there , please introduce yourself. Thanks
    AL

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    And you use shotguns with a 60 inch barrel? Re-read the OP. This cannot be a real question. I have been to turkey shoots and meat shoots. Nobody actually shoots at a turkey, chicken, or steer. Like you say, the results on a paper target determine the winner.

I judge this to be a troll thread.

You might want to do your own research about guns, Yes there are many specific build guns out in the world.. Guys doing the turkey shoot rounds will build up all sorts of things.. from 50" + barrells to chokes so tight that the shot comes out 2 by 2 ..
    It is really up to the host what limits there is on equipment, how & how often the gun can be "cleaned" , who provieds the shot.. and so on.. the sport is not regulated other than State gaming laws..

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    At both the above shoots both of you can shoot the gun in the meat match without worry just switch out shooters.

Remember ear pro as when I started most of the match shooting guy's favorite word was "what".

The 37 Winchester with full choke barrel is a great starter place. They had wonderfull smooth barrels and were what we most likely would consider x-full choke today. I have found a few sweet spots on choke at about .655 to .658 if you happen to have the makers choke tubes. Howard is a good guy looks like you bought one of his older creations. Normally the shell ejector is missing and you have to pull each round by hand. That scope mount is different is it offset from the bore. The other thing once you have established the shot is hitting in mass on your board then leave the heavy barrel right there and let the reciever drop to replace the shell. Once you get the pattern on target do as little to change the pattern as possible: easier to pull up the reciever to reload and keep the barrel on target. That is one of the reasons some guys will use bolt or auto guns instead of the old single shots.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    About 25 years ago I saw a sign for a recurring Turkey Shoot. I thought I was pretty good with my shotgun so I showed up one weekend. I had a very nice 28" barrel improved cyclinder 12ga shotgun. I shot well and lost miserably. They were shooting customized shotguns with ridiculously long barrels that had been "squeezed" down to restrict the pattern.

Different places have different rules regarding equipment. Some are setup to allow factory guns to be competitive with a full choke. The shoot I attended was pretty much a "bring what ya got" affair and my only chance was a random pellet hitting near the "X".

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Dear Troll Judges, Maybe, Just Maybe, there could be some sort of firearms that you have not experienced, and some that you may have heard rumors about, but have not an intimate knowledge of... That certainly is true for me. It might be something to consider, that instead of snarky comments about the OP and his issues, you could either shut up and learn from those who seem to know something on the subject, or assist the OP with possible sources for finding the answer to his questions.

I asked some valid questions and received some good info and found a website that has more info.... I also got 'Snarked" instead of encouraged by a couple of folks. Your lack of manners to a newby is noted. If you want new members to become more active in the group, I respectfully suggest you Snarkers try a little genuine Welcome-fellowship, it works a lot better than the smart-axx comments.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Thanks Jmarriott, I am combing that Turkeyshoot.net website. it has a ton of info about these shooting matches..I really had no idea these custom guns existed. The 60 inch is something else. It sure isn't "Pretty", but it is unbelieveably accurate. the barrel diameter is about an inch and a half and looking at it at the muzzle reminds me of looking at a 22 lr Bull Barrel (only it has a 12 ga opening) There is no way I could shoot it (or the 36" little brother to it) in a standing/offhand shoot !! I need a bench rest and shooting stick, and a chair that won't tip my old (but large) tailend over with the recoil !

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    :wow: I shoulda known better. All kinds of shooting going on out there. There always has been.

Please accept my sincere apology. It is the 5 foot long shotgun barrel that got me.....

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Most of the guys are just using screw up type jacks stands as front and middle rests with some covering protection on the steel.

On that 60 inch there will not be any real recoil with aaa Winchester loads.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Dear Troll Judges, Maybe, Just Maybe, there could be some sort of firearms that you have not experienced, and some that you may have heard rumors about, but have not an intimate knowledge of... That certainly is true for me. It might be something to consider, that instead of snarky comments about the OP and his issues, you could either shut up and learn from those who seem to know something on the subject, or assist the OP with possible sources for finding the answer to his questions.

I asked some valid questions and received some good info and found a website that has more info.... I also got 'Snarked" instead of encouraged by a couple of folks. Your lack of manners to a newby is noted. If you want new members to become more active in the group, I respectfully suggest you Snarkers try a little genuine Welcome-fellowship, it works a lot better than the smart-axx comments.
    +1 to you

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    In Perry, Spencer, and Dubois Counties in the Fall, lots of Catholic churches hold picnic/shooting matches and Conservation Clubs hold matches, some weekly at night. Rules appear to be few, the most prevalent one being that the host furnishes the ammo.

Top Bottom