How is the component/ammo shortage affecting you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I just curious (and a little bored)... is the recent shortage of ammo and primers affecting your choices of which events to attend and how much practicing you do?

Do you think the shortage has the potential to lower attendance at high round count events like USPSA, multi-gun, Friday Night Steel, and the like?

I see limited ammo availability and high prices as a serious barrier to entry for handgun shooting sports. I'm glad I took up this hobby last fall and laid in a stock of components.

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It affects me in that as I plan my day out, my routes to my varios stops I have to make, if there is a Wal-Mart, Gander, etc on the way, I stop in to see if they have what I need. I read the posts on here, and if someone posts something that is near me, I take a look. I need to get better at updating myself, but my phone doesn't handle this web site that well.

I make these stops because I would rather pay $10 for 50 rounds of ammo than over $14 a box at a firearms store. So the time/gass is worth it if it makes sense during the course of my day.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The biggest effect that shortages are having on me is through the higher prices they create; I'm not having any trouble finding ammo, but paying for it sucks wind. I'm also having to plan farther in advance, given the higher prices and the long lead times most online vendors are citing.

Cases in point - I'm taking a Magpul Dynamics carbine course in two weeks. 1500 rounds of 5.56 and 200 rounds of 9mm over two days. I put my 5.56 ammo on layaway about two months ago; it was fairly reasonably priced, but the quantity required made the total bill a bit more than I could handle at one time. I'm also taking an EAG pistol course in July. I had to order my ammo for that (1000 rounds of 9mm ball) in late April, just to ensure that it arrives in time.

After those courses are done, I'm going to take a nice long break from shooting (other than maybe FNS), in order to get the associated expenses paid off.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Doesn't effect me at all. I stocked up over a year ago with enough to last me for years. I saw this coming. My wife, who at the time could not understand why I was doing this, just the other day said you sure was smart to buy all that ammo when you did.:D

Although, I will be glad when things return to normal, if they ever do.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I'm not having any trouble finding ammo, but paying for it sucks wind.

I am laughing uncontrollably at this statement....partially because of the truth within. That about sums it up right there....not much more to say.

I personally have resorted to a lot of .22LR shooting to feed the addiction and keep the cost down.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I personally have resorted to a lot of .22LR shooting to feed the addiction and keep the cost down.

Me too... I've been practicing with .22 a lot more and have been using the centerfire sparingly. I am fairly stocked up on reloading components, but I'm not confident that I'll find primers once I run out. I have enough for about 1 year of shooting, at my current (reduced) rate.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Previous years I shot between 15 and 20 thousand rounds.
    So far this year as of May 1? ... 2100.
    Practice is pretty much dry-fire only with a handful of lower-round-count live-fire practices mixed in. Planning to add a significant amount of live fire prior to Area-5. So I'm planning on going through about 6-8k this year.

once (if) some back-orders get filled I'll be able to pick the pace back up. Good thing I have a reserve... I'll be able to shoot at my current planned pace for 2-3 years. primers are the worst.... I have enough powder and bullets for about 30k 38-supers for my open gun, but getting low on the wsr primers I use in the load, like about 6k. Once those are gone it'll be back to production division for me...

I purposely let my reserve get low before moving last summer so I'd have less to move. Now I'm regretting that...

I bought a .22 conversion for my production gun, but I only have about 5k 22s on hand and that seems to be getting hard to find even, so I'm not sure that's going to help much. So unless things ease up and some back orders get filled relatively soon, I'm done shooting in a couple years. (powder valley has stopped taking backorders even, saying they have 50 MILLION primers on back order...)

all those "hoarders" either better start shooting or start sharing......

-rvb

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    1. Less practice.
    2. Haven't signed up for any training this year.
    3. Not buying any guns in calibers I don't already have.

Of 9mm/45acp/40sw/38spl/357mag/380acp, the only one available locally in any kind of quantity is 40 S&W at the local MC Sports (and that just came in last week).

When I shoot I buy new, put it in stock, and shoot older ammo from stock.
    Therefore, if I can't resupply, I don't shoot, since I refuse to depleat my stock.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Only that I have been buying ammo when I find it.

The cost of ammo today may seen like a bargain tomorrow, or at least until this BS Government learns they better back off.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am almost out of my range ammo and I don't reload, I also refuse to pay the current prices on ammo.

So when I run out, I will only be shooting .22lr until prices come down.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Started reloading in '77 through '98. Got back into reloading in '08 and have enough reloading components to load ~ 20,000 rounds plus several thousand factory rounds... so I am set for a while.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I ran my credit card up in November n bought about 3K for my rifles and 3k for my handguns...... Man it goes fast when your having fun.... And now prices are crazy and I can barley feed my habit. I was high on range time and the detoxing sucks. I'm thinking of buying an air soft AK as sort of my synthetic fix. I really want a wasr 22 or something like that to off-set expenses.

Think ammo is screwed? or ya think it will stabilize before the gooberments next sandstorm?

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I am way low on primers. I'm out of brass. If I can't pick up some at next gun show i'm going to have to buy off the shelf for the IN state sectional.

Top Bottom