• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Let's talk about the weather and other stuff....

Since this seems to be such a popular topic I figured we might as well making it sporting and throw some money down

I am going to amend some ground rules, and institute a pool on who can come closest to posting what the correct weather will be at a match
    -everyone throws in $5
    -you have to have your guess by 1 week before the match
    -you have to post it at least twice
    -you have to have at least 200 words in your post talking about it, or a "remember when" story related to weather
    -links to the weather channel or similar sites are strictly forbidden
    -any discussion about actual shooting in your post is strictly forbidden
    -and while there cannot be bonus points added, it is highly encourage to post weather related video or pictures in your post as well

I am working right now on setting up weather classifications based on
    -using the farmers almanac
    -using online weather resources
    -reading tarot cards
    -using the patterns of birds
    -reading tree leaves
    -if you have a sore knee, elbow or other body part

Looking outside the morning of a match and seeing what the weather is like will not be allowed (that is just stupid thinking anyway)

You can include any weather related
    rituals you want, you just need to include video

In many magical traditions, weather magic is a popular focus of workings. The term “weather magic” can be used to mean anything from divination and forecasting to actual control of the weather itself. When you consider that many of today’s folk magic customs are rooted in our agricultural past, it makes sense that an ability to foretell or change weather patterns might be considered a valuable skill. After all, if your family’s livelihood and life depended on the success of your crops, weather magic would be a handy thing to know.

See if we can figure out how to make this work for matches
    Harvest Predictions

In many rural and agricultural societies, fertility rituals were conducted to ensure a strong and healthy harvest. For instance, the use of the Maypole during the Beltane season often tied in to the fertility of the fields. In other cases, farmers used divination to determine whether the grain season would be successful – a few kernels of corn placed on a hot iron would pop and jump around. The behavior of the hot kernels indicated whether or not the price of grain would go up or down in the fall.

Watch your Cows
    Some weather prediction folklore related to animals. In Appalachia, there’s a legend that if the cows are laying down in their fields, it means rain is on the way, although this may well be something that mountain folks tell outsiders – most cows seek shelter under trees or in a barn when bad weather comes. However, there are also stories that if a rooster crows in the middle of the night, it is foretelling rain the next day, and that if dogs begin running in circles, poor weather is coming. It is also said that if birds build their nests closer to the ground than usual, a hard winter is on its way.

There is hope!!

The term “weather magic” is one that is met with a variety of reactions in the Pagan community. The very notion that a single practitioner could generate enough magical power to control such a powerful force as the weather is one that should be met with a degree of skepticism. Weather is created by a complex combination of forces all working in tandem together, and it’s unlikely that you’re going to bump into someone who has the skill, the focus, and the knowledge to actually control anything as vast as weather patterns.
    This is not to say that weather control magic is impossible – it certainly is, and the more people involved in it, the more likely the chances of success. It is indeed a complex process, and one unlikely to be carried out by an inexperienced and unfocused solo practitioner.
    However, it is often possible to influence existing weather systems, particularly if you’re looking at a short-term need that has to be met

I will start looking for a range cow, someone needs to get a rooster and we need someone to head up a group of ten or more people that can meet the night before a match and start working on doing some sort of weather magic, we are going to need a virgin and a real whore....might as well cover all the bases.

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok so per the fertility rituals where they would use kernels of corn on a hot iron I need to see if anyone would like to try this will a loaded round on a hot plate
    -if you get it to go off in less than 1 minute it will probably snow
    -if you get it to go off in between 1 minutes and 3 minutes there is a 50/50 chance of rain (it could also mean locust, haven't worked that out yet)
    -if it goes off and shoots something in the house (ceiling, lamp, glass, dog) it is going to be a 50/50 chance of sun
    -if it hits you, but doesn't kill you then there is a good chance that it will be sunny and really nice, but you will not be able to make to the match (duh, you just shot yourself with a round from a hot plate!!!)
    -if it goes off and kills you then it doesn't matter anyway (but you should have someone give us a call, cause that means it will be humid, and that someone needs to come over and go thru your gear)

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Hey Obama of Ingo,

This is about as simple as the affordable care act.

Screw all that crap...it is sunny and friggin nice out today. Looks like rain Wednesday Through Friday will rain. Partly Sunny Saturday and Sunday highs in the 50s.

Quit worrying about what other people are writing about on match day threads.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mike I have and joined in on all the friendly banter about the weather...

Unfortunately I am work and unable to enjoy the nice weather today, hell I bet it would have been a good day for a match, but that seems silly to actually discuss the shooting sports in the shooting sports forum.
    So how about solar flares and cell phone reception when it happens, crazy stuff:

these impressive flares have been responsible for disrupting a variety of satellite communications, even causing some blackouts that have lasted from nine to 25 minutes. Cell phones, radios and GPS devices can all be affected by solar flare radiation.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Screw all that crap...it is sunny and friggin nice out today. Looks like rain Wednesday Through Friday will rain. Partly Sunny Saturday and Sunday highs in the 50s.

Only concerned about next Saturday since Wildcat has a match and next Sunday since South Central has a pistol match and 3gun at Wildcat on Sunday.
    So you can triple enter for this weekend!!!

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Only concerned about next Saturday since Wildcat has a match and next Sunday since South Central has a pistol match and 3gun at Wildcat on Sunday.
    So you can triple enter for this weekend!!!
    CORRECTION!!!!!
    Do not forget about the steel challenge match at Riley on Saturday, you get into the pool 4 times now!!!!

So many matches to talk about the weather......
    I hope it is sunny, with a slight breeze and in the upper 60's....because when wearing a TechWear shirt in those conditions my nipples get hard!!!

Come on WHO's WITH ME ON THAT?!?!?!?!?!

Seems no one wants to talk about the weather?!?!?!?

Crazy.........

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmmm.

I'm getting the vaguest of impressions that someone is attempting to make a point. I'm just not quite sure what it is, though. It's just too subtle.

​rhino out!

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hmmm.

I'm getting the vaguest of impressions that someone is attempting to make a point. I'm just not quite sure what it is, though. It's just too subtle.

​rhino out!

It rained this morning...... And no one has mentioned how that may effect things.... I think it will help the grass grow and you know what what they say about April showers...............

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Lot's of matches this weekend
    USPSA WildCat Valley
    Steel Challenge at Riley
    USPSA at South Central
    USPSA North Porter County
    3gun at Wildcat Valley

so here is to a good weekend of weather
    [video=youtube_share;iPUmE-tne5U]http://youtu.be/iPUmE-tne5U[/video]

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    How about this: If it's a local and I hear thunder while I'm still in bed, I stay in bed.

If it's a major, I'm going to get wet, cold and/or muddy. I remember dropping mags at Warsaw and thinking, " I wonder if I'll ever be able to use that mag again". Just what Ineed to be thinking during a COF.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    How about this: If it's a local and I hear thunder while I'm still in bed, I stay in bed.

If it's a major, I'm going to get wet, cold and/or muddy. I remember dropping mags at Warsaw and thinking, " I wonder if I'll ever be able to use that mag again". Just what Ineed to be thinking during a COF.

(keeping with the spirit)

I remember a match not too long ago where it was so wet and muddy, all the Open and Limited guys were doing "tactical" reloads with retention in order to avoid losing $100-something mags in the mud.

The titanium plates in my head tell me that the weather is going to be awesome this weekend.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Raincoats

molo-rainbow-jacket.jpg

Top Bottom