New M&P Pro 5"...Sights, mag base pads, grip tape?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    My new M&P Pro should be here in a day or so, and i was wondering what competition accessories everyone recommends. I was thinking Teran Tac mag base plates and springs, SSS mag-well (not sure which one to get), some kind of grip tape or stippling , sights and trigger job as well.

I know that is a long list but i thought I would just get it all out in one post.

I already picked up a BladTech dropped and offset holster for it so I think I am set there.

Thanks in advance for any advice

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I put Dawson Sights on mine, Adjustable, Black Rear and Black Front, (The way sights should be) Apex trigger and I've been shooting that for about 2 years and happy

I've never been a grip tape person but I wouldn't mind putting a little extra Grip on my slide but I have had such good reliability that there have not been many running Slide manipulations and I try not to hit slide lock during a run

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Thanks for the reply. What Apex parts did you replace? I was looking and it seems like Apex has a TON of different options for replacing parts. I'm no gunsmith so I don't really know what is a solid idea as far as what to replace. I noticed they had an aluminum trigger instead of the polymer one. is that a good idea?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Just remember if you are using this M&P for production division that the modifications/upgrades are legal for the division.

Do they allow DOS holsters for production? Or is the OP a LEO wearing a duty belt? I personally prefer the Bowie Tactical trigger to the Apex. Better reset. Just IMO.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I too went with Dawson sights in contrasting fiber optic, the way they should be...Okay, that is a matter of user preference. I don't have the best eyes and can pick up the front sight much better with the FO's than flat black. I run green in back and red in front. I also use and recommend the Talon grips to help prevent slipping. I use the granulate. TALON Grips for Glock, XD, XDM, Kahr, Ruger and Kel-Tec Pistols. Free Shipping! Also I installed the Apex competition kit myself and had the Apex extractor installed by a gunsmith. The M&P extractor pins are nearly impossible to remove.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I'm expecting my stippled frame back from Phylodog today. I have some grit & some rubber Talon tape to try the thumb index points. Haven't touched the sights or trigger, yet. I love the sound of the BT XLT (?) that mimics the 1911 trigger, but not sure I like the 4 - 6 months I'd have to wait...

Last edited:

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Unless you're worried about being Production legal in USPSA, I highly recommend the Apex Tactical FSS trigger kit. Completely changed the gun for me. Little to no take-up and a nice clean break.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I guess I'll be the first to say it but... "Magazines and Ammo." Those are the 2 things I'd buy in bulk before anything else. Shoot that Pro and see what you think of it before adding a ton of extras. Unless you've shot a lot of competition before and know exactly what sport, division, class etc you are going for you could end up buying a lot of unnecessary parts.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Thanks guys!
    I don't care about production division. I want to put all the wiz-bang-cool guy stuff on it!
    I just wanted to ask for opinions because there isn't as much out there for the M&P like there is for the Glock and the STI 2011's.
    Now that I have all of this information, I guess I need to go spend some money and hide it from my Wife!
    Hopefully the pistol makes it here soon so I can take it to practice on Thurdsday!

Thanks again!

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Unless you're worried about being Production legal in USPSA, I highly recommend the Apex Tactical FSS trigger kit. Completely changed the gun for me. Little to no take-up and a nice clean break.
    I think I will do that one for sure!
    I didn't check on those backstraps for you, i was too busy ordering my new pistol! I did find some online for about 5 bucks though. They even had the flat dark earth coloration as well. I can look that link up for you if you would like. Let me know

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I think I will do that one for sure!
    I didn't check on those backstraps for you, i was too busy ordering my new pistol! I did find some online for about 5 bucks though. They even had the flat dark earth coloration as well. I can look that link up for you if you would like. Let me know
    No worries, I drive by there all the time. I would be interested in the online site though, thanks! Hope you like that M&P!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    My new M&P Pro should be here in a day or so, and i was wondering what competition accessories everyone recommends. I was thinking Teran Tac mag base plates and springs, SSS mag-well (not sure which one to get), some kind of grip tape or stippling , sights and trigger job as well.

I know that is a long list but i thought I would just get it all out in one post.

I already picked up a BladTech dropped and offset holster for it so I think I am set there.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Taylor Freelance, great stuff.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Anyone use the Teran Tactical Base-pads? They look cool as hell and the push-button release looks easy for cleaning at a match.
    I also wonder if anyone uses the Speed Shooter Specialties mag-well? I don't know if I should get the ESP or the other one if i plan on using the Teran Base-pads. Any thoughts on that?

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    I have 4 Taylor freelance mags that hold 23 rounds that I may let go... Pm me if interested.

I don't have enough posts yet to PM but I'm interested
    If you send me a PM i can read it, so get me your email or phone # and I will get in touch with you

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    No worries, I drive by there all the time. I would be interested in the online site though, thanks! Hope you like that M&P!
    Picked up my Blaster today and asked about the back straps. He said that he had one of every size and would let them go for cheep! Plus I would be willing to let go of the ones that I don't use when I decide which one to use.
    I believe that I found the one online at SSS for about $5

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Ordered the Teran basepads and springs (red) Apex trigger and plunger. Just need to decide on the magwell now and try out some grip tape!

Has anyone done any Dremel work on their M&P? I did a little on my old Glock and it worked out well. Just wonder if anyone already did it and has any advise

See you all at the range soon!

Top Bottom