Need some help...is USPSA the right direction?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    All,

I'm looking for some advice. While I'm a shooter and enjoy it at home, I've never competed in a shooting sport beyond the occasional backyard/range contest with friends or family.

I'm really intrigued by the idea of getting going in one (or maybe more) of the shooting disciplines. I'm hoping to check out the Indiana Multi-gun match on Sunday at ACC, if all goes well, just to see what its about.

My question.......for the complete rookie, where would you suggest I start or what to consider? I'll take it seriously, but I also don't want to hold the show up and get in over my head. I'm looking for an environment that doesn't mind the new folks showing up and getting started. Is USPSA the right direction?

Any help or advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bk

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Safety First and Always. You won't hold the show up. I'm also new to shooting and I've shot 3 USPSA matches. It is much more enjoyable than standing in one spot and punching holes in a bulls-eye target. You don't need to drop a bunch of money to get started. I would try it for sure. Once you shoot one match, you will be hooked. Everyone I shot with at USPSA events has been helpful and very mindful of safety. Yeah, there's going to be a Richard Cranium or 2 wherever you go, but that's life. 99% of people are willing to go out of their way to help a new shooter and most have given me tips on how to improve. If they offer a practice night where you are intending to shoot, that would be great. You learn all of the rules at a slower pace than the match will go. Watch some youtube USPSA videos and you'll get the idea regarding range commands, etc.

Just make sure they know at sign-ups that you are a new shooter, and also tell the RO's at each stage that you are new. They will probably ask if you understand all of the range commands and they will keep a close eye on you to make sure you and everyone around you stays safe. You will not regret trying USPSA.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I found IDPA to be very similar to what sdtech58 mentions above. The SO's are very good at working with new shooters to make sure they understand the rules and are comfortable with what they need to do. First match is free, but afterwards you have to be a member of IDPA to shoot matches. I haven't tried USPSA, but I've been to two IDPA matches so far and have enjoyed them both. You mentioned ACC and that's where I'm heading today for a match. Registration starts at 9am I believe. If you have time, come check it out.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    USPSA, IDPA, Steels - In my opinion they are all fun and all new shooter friendly.

Good is: the new guy that shows up and already understands the 4 rules of gun safety, already is familiar with his gun, and does not try to run at warp speed his first time out. Bonus points if you are energetic at helping reset the stages between shooters.
    I think being safe and having fun is a good goal set for the first few matches, if you need another goal then throw in accuracy, speed comes last.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    All,

I'm looking for some advice. While I'm a shooter and enjoy it at home, I've never competed in a shooting sport beyond the occasional backyard/range contest with friends or family.

I'm really intrigued by the idea of getting going in one (or maybe more) of the shooting disciplines. I'm hoping to check out the Indiana Multi-gun match on Sunday at ACC, if all goes well, just to see what its about.

My question.......for the complete rookie, where would you suggest I start or what to consider? I'll take it seriously, but I also don't want to hold the show up and get in over my head. I'm looking for an environment that doesn't mind the new folks showing up and getting started. Is USPSA the right direction?

Any help or advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bk

If you can be safe with your gun you will be fine. I recommend shooting a pistol match or two before jumping into multigun. Get familiar with the rules and scoring and how things work before trying to get three guns running and involved. As far as people you will find what you are looking for in USPSA.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Try USPSA out. I was hesitant to go to a match at first thinking the guys shooting it would be no help to a new shooter. But my RO would answer any question I had. The 15 other shooters on my squad also gave me advice. You mentioned ACC. They have a USPSA match on 7/27/14. Its going to be a "NO" match. No steel, no hard cover, no no-shoots, no shots over 10 yards. South Central will be having a USPSA "NO" match tomorrow on 7/6/14.

Link To South Central Match Details: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...18-south-central-gun-club-july-6th-match.html

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Really terrible advice given in this thread. It's time for light to shine into this darkness.

Just stay home. Don't get into comp shooting sports. It's like a black hole into which copious amounts of time and energy will be sent and like letting the fed run your banking account. Sure, it's fun and will increase your gun handling skills. But once you're into it, it becomes your own personal Hotel California. You'll log on to INGO and only read the shooting sports forum. You'll join the Enos forum.

And for the highly unaware, you might even join the Doodie Project.

Heed my words. And then get thyself to whatever pistol shoot you can first. :D

But be sure to start there before multigun. Multigun is a whole other level of selling your soul.

:laugh:Have fun with it OP!

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    If you're around Indy, consider Friday Night Steel, hosted by Marion Co Fish & Game in Speedway, on July 11th. Safety Meeting is at 6pm, registration is at 530pm, range setup is at 5pm. You're able to see other threads about them in this Sub. I highly suggest them as an intro to Action Pistol / Shooting Sports!

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    If you are not comfortable then just go watch a match. Introduce yourself to the range master and he will assist you. Just do it you will be fine.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The thing about shooting competitions of any variety is that just about everyone loves to share the passion for the sport with anyone that'll listen. Show up to a USPSA, IDPA or steel match and I guarantee you'll be able to find someone (most likely a few dozen someones) who will be happy to help out. If you can be safe with a handgun, you will be welcome at any club in the state, in my experience.

At ACC, BJones (INGO member) usually does a very good, comprehensive new shooter briefing before the USPSA matches to get people comfortable with the game. I think he does it for IDPA as well.

mwwilkew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Good advice given. As long as you can safely handle your pistol come on out to a match. Steel, USPSA, IDPA whatever fits your schedule - they are all fun. As far as being a new shooter - don't worry about it. There are new shooters at every match so you won't be the only one. We had 20 new shooters at the ACC IDPA match yesterday. Just be safe and have fun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For all of the people considering shooting sports, I think it makes sense to elaborate on the very good caveat "if you can handle your gun safely." Some people reading this may think they know what that means, but in some cases, don't. Or, they are unaware that they don't.

First, the four basic rules will always serve you well. If you can't live by them at all times, the specifics of the safety rules in the shooting sports are going to be impossible for you.

1. Handle all guns as if they are loaded.

In most cases, you should verify the condition of a weapon you encounter, and then still handle it as if it was loaded. In other words, there are not separate gun handling rules for loaded and unloaded guns. "Cold Ranges" (which are now ubiquitous among shooting sports) sometimes breed the unloaded okay, loaded not okay mentality, but we have to guard against that.

2. Muzzle control - keep it pointed in the safest possible direction.

3. Keep your finger off of the trigger and outside of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.

4. Be sure of your target, what is near it, and what is behind it.

The safety rules for the shooting sports tend to be specific applications of some version of the 4 above. Here are some things you MUST BE ABLE TO DO ALL THE TIME, or you're going to have a huge problem at shooting matches.

• READ THE RULES BEFORE YOU GO. ALL OF THEM Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association
    • DO WHAT THE RANGE OFFICER TELLS YOU TO DO.
    • DO NOT DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR GUN UNTIL THE RANGE OFFICER TELLS YOU IT'S OKAY UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN IT IS OKAY.
    • Your gun must be unloaded with no magazine inserted unless and until you come to the firing line and the range officer directs you to make ready.
    • Your gun must remain in the holster (or case) unless you are on the firing line and the range officer directs you to make ready. An exception is if you are in the designated Safe Area. In the Safe Area, you may handle your gun, but you may not handle ammunition or loaded magazines there.
    • After the make ready command, you must keep your muzzle pointed downrange any time it is not in the holster, which in the case of a shooting range is the safest possible direction. At a match, you will probably hear someone mention "breaking the 180." If you do not know for absolute certain what "breaking the 180" means, you should ask and have it explained to you. Keeping your muzzle downrange (pointed at the backstop) is also required while you are reloading!
    • Do not point your muzzle at any part of anyone's body, including your own. If you put your hand in front of your muzzle for some reason, you're going to be disqualified whether you think it was safe or not. There is a specific exception in the USPSA rules for inadvertently pointing the muzzle at your lower body during the draw/reholster, but you should still avoid that.
    • Unless you are engaging targets, keep your trigger finger obviously outside of the trigger guard. You may know it's not on the trigger, but the range officer has to see it outside of the trigger guard. If you are reloading, drawing, reholstering, or moving while not shooting at targets, your finger must be outside of the trigger guard.

I hope I covered most of the big points. If I missed something, I hope someone will correct me or add to it.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    My first time, I just went and watched. I also helped paste targets and just got a feel for how things worked. I also got lucky and me RePete and he walked me through everything all day long. He even let me shoot a stage with his gear!
    After watching the whole match, i felt much more comfortable.

Just a suggestion....but yes it is an awesome sport with great people.

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    The easiest place to start is in Steel Challenge. Then progress to something more dynamic like IPDA, USPSA, ICORE, etc. Then move to 3-gun. With that said I have seen many shooters start in 3-gun. Watch videos online and ask a bunch of questions here and you will be ready to go.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Steel Challenge for fun.
    IDPA for tactical pistol training.
    3 Gun for pistol/rifle/shotgun gear fanatics
    USPSA for overall pistol competition.

Each group of folks welcomes new shooters

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    stop fishing for excuses and just go do it. it's a ton of fun, the people are great, and it's as competitive as you want to make it. you'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner.

Do take a look at the rule book, especially the parts about the safe areas, range commands, and safety violations / DQs.

-rvb

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    stop fishing for excuses and just go do it.
    -rvb
    :+1: I started with 3 gun, coming from a limited (hunting only) shooting background and absolutely no competition experience. The learning curve can be steep but by no means impossible. As long as you're safe, you'll be welcomed in whichever one you try. Biggest PIA with 3 gun is all the gear you need. If getting all that together is an issue (it was fun for me), I'd say try pistol (USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge) first.

I'm hoping to check out the Indiana Multi-gun match on Sunday at ACC, if all goes well, just to see what its about.
    Did you make it to ACC? What'd ya think?

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    USPSA but can be habit forming. When I started in uspsa in 1999 was with old SA1911 I had, since I have added SA1911 wide frame, SA XDM's 45 apc and 40s&w and god knows how much equipment much less reloading presses (Dillon) and reloading equipment. Then I started going to every area match and major match that I could:). From east coast to west as far as Colorado, Mich. to North and south Carolina. It can be VERY habit forming but did I mention that it is a blast and the most fun you can have with your pants on;). You don't need the lastest and greatest equipment to start, just join and see what you think get with a good range officer let him (or her) know you are a rookie. If you get a good group like I started out with is even better. Yes there are A-HOLES around who throw a fit if their $1000 gun didn't work right, and they will always be around. But all and all the shooters are a great bunch that you can make pals with and learn from. Just my:twocents:

Top Bottom