nra hi power rifle what do i need and where are they held?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    interested in this not real sure what its about but it involves rifles so im interested in it, i have a 1903a3 will this be a legal rifle in high power? is there a amateur class?

bigdaddy1427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There are five classes in Highpower. Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master and High Master. The first match you shoot in, you shoot in the Master (unclassified) class. After that, you keep a temporary score book and shoot according to your score.
    The scores are sent into the NRA, and after the first 120 rounds they send you a card with your classification.
    The 03A3 is legal for NRA matches, but probably not close to being a best choice for a beginner. The rapid fire stages are 10 shots in 60 seconds sitting with a reload (5 and 5), and 10 shots in 70 seconds prone rapid fire with a reload (5 and 5).
    It is difficult as a beginner to learn to manipulate the bolt in the rapid fire stages, and load from stripper clips.
    If that is all you have, go out and have fun. That is what it is all about anyway. Just get a couple of stripper clips and some ammo.
    Most matches are 80 shots for record, and 8 sighter shots (2 from each yard line). 20 shots standing slow fire from 200 yards, 20 shots rapid fire sitting or kneeling from 200 yards (2 strings of 10), 20 shots rapid fire from 300 yards (two strings of 10), and 20 shots slow fire from 600 yards.
    Your best bet would probably be Camp Atterbury with the Central Indiana High Power Rifle Shooters. They have a web site with the details.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    There are five classes in Highpower. Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master and High Master. The first match you shoot in, you shoot in the Master (unclassified) class. After that, you keep a temporary score book and shoot according to your score.
    The scores are sent into the NRA, and after the first 120 rounds they send you a card with your classification.
    The 03A3 is legal for NRA matches, but probably not close to being a best choice for a beginner. The rapid fire stages are 10 shots in 60 seconds sitting with a reload (5 and 5), and 10 shots in 70 seconds prone rapid fire with a reload (5 and 5).
    It is difficult as a beginner to learn to manipulate the bolt in the rapid fire stages, and load from stripper clips.
    If that is all you have, go out and have fun. That is what it is all about anyway. Just get a couple of stripper clips and some ammo.
    Most matches are 80 shots for record, and 8 sighter shots (2 from each yard line). 20 shots standing slow fire from 200 yards, 20 shots rapid fire sitting or kneeling from 200 yards (2 strings of 10), 20 shots rapid fire from 300 yards (two strings of 10), and 20 shots slow fire from 600 yards.
    Your best bet would probably be Camp Atterbury with the Central Indiana High Power Rifle Shooters. They have a web site with the details.
    so maybe i should use the akm, i dont mind not winning i want to have fun but i doubt i could get a hit at 600 yards with my ak. so i might be able to use this as an excuse to myself for a ar15 or a hk 91 clone.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The AR15 is good for Highpower as long as it has a 20 inch barrel and irons. The AKM and HK91 cannot be used. Neither can the AK. Under any circumstance.

The legal rifles are the M1 Garand, the M1A (M14), and the AR15 (M16). And then the "match" rifles which for lack of a better word, are unlimited rifles. I don't have my rulebook nearby, but I am almost positive that the 1903 Springfield is shot in the match rifle class if used in a NRA Highpower match.

The CMP has game matches for the 1903 Springfield. I think the Springfield match is this weekend at Camp Perry. It is a fine old rifle and fairly impressive scores can still be fired with it, but most matches fired with it are CMP Games matches. At 200 yards only. Fired for fun and medals and t-shirts.

A stock AR with at least a 1X9 twist barrel, 20 inches long with 69 grain bullets at 2900 fps is an excellent way to get started in NRA Highpower. Later on you can add a free float tube, a better barrel, 1/2 minute sights, and a two stage trigger. But that can wait until later.

Even High Masters learn something new at every match. I try to rub shoulders with the High Masters. I hope something good will rub off..... I am a mere Master....:):

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is also a wealth of information put out by the US Army Marksmanship Unit.....

CMP - Service Rifle USAMU Shooting Tips

A background in Highpower should be considered basic training for the rifle disciplines. A competent Highpower shooter is a Rifleman in every sense of the word. A Highpower shooter easily transitions to three gun or other disciplines. it does not work the other way...

I hope to see you on the range. We will all help if you want it.

Forgot to add, www.isrpa.org to see where matches are held in Indiana.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    RoadRunner,
    Can't speak for Indiana clubs but where I shot high power in PA we had club rifles that we would let people interested in shooting shoot their first time. Also there is always someone at matches willing to show a new person the ropes and let them see and try out gear. I would suggest just going to a match and ask questions. I shot my first season with a standard M1A, a borrowed spotting scope and a sleeping mat. The second season I upgraded to my own spotting scope, a cloth shooting jacket and the same sleeping mat.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    RoadRunner,
    Can't speak for Indiana clubs but where I shot high power in PA we had club rifles that we would let people interested in shooting shoot their first time. Also there is always someone at matches willing to show a new person the ropes and let them see and try out gear. I would suggest just going to a match and ask questions. I shot my first season with a standard M1A, a borrowed spotting scope and a sleeping mat. The second season I upgraded to my own spotting scope, a cloth shooting jacket and the same sleeping mat.

This is true of every club I've shot with. They are always happy that you drug your butt out of bed early on a Saturday morning to shoot. There IS always someone that will help you get up on your feet in the highpower game.

Good luck.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Yeah, I forgot to add, www.fwrr.us has two loaner AR15 RRA service rifles for the use of new shooters and Juniors. You can just show up at a match with 69 grain ammo and I will hand you a rifle to use that is competitive. I have one of them in my safe.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    2znoco7.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A lot of good advice given already. Take it from someone who rowed a bolt action rifle for most of 9 years, the 03a3 is tough. It is pretty light and kicks the snot out of you in sitting rapid fire. The 03a3 and the M1917 US enfield have been off the "service rifle" allowed list for many years. You can shoot them as a "match rifle" Which is anything .30 caliber or smaller that can hold at least 5 rounds in the magazine and using iron sights. I made special loads for the 200 yard events to tame the recoil, but it was still no picnic.

A much better option is to try National Match highpower with a borrowed 20 inch, fixed stock, carry handle, iron sight AR. Lots cheaper on the ammo too. Many clubs that have an active NRA High power program have one day training clinics where the courses of fire, the equipment and the proper positions are all taught. Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol club has a training clinic every spring. If you want to gather some knowledge on your own, The NRA rule book for National Match Highpower shooting is available online. Many people have posted parts of a match on youtube. I have seen a number of people come to a match or two just to observe and become familiar with the sport, kind of the picture is worth a 1000 words deal.

SLoughfoot has made a great offer. Some others are helpfull too. You might also want to look up Falls Creek gun club. I think they are really close to you. They are a great bunch of guys. Their range is only 100 yards but the NRA has sanctioned reduced targets to simulate a regular 200, 300, and 600 yard course. At only 100 yards you do not have wind drift to worry about and you do not have to take a turn in the target pits or hump your gear hundreds of yards, but it is a good way to become familiar with the course of fire, the range commands and rules. It is not cake walk as the "X" ring on the scaled down prone slowfire target is covered by a dime, so you still have to aim and fire really well. Usually only 1/2 of the participants are firing at a time, so it is a good chance to talk to others as they wait for their relay to be called to the firing line.

Last edited:

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Yeah, I forgot to add, www.fwrr.us has two loaner AR15 RRA service rifles for the use of new shooters and Juniors. You can just show up at a match with 69 grain ammo and I will hand you a rifle to use that is competitive. I have one of them in my safe.
    that is very generous of you thank you, but im going to start small i think and im going try leo's suggestion on a falls creeks club match as i drive by there quiet often and its very close. but i really do appreciate the offer sir and thanks for the info.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The AR15 is good for Highpower as long as it has a 20 inch barrel and irons. The AKM and HK91 cannot be used. Neither can the AK. Under any circumstance.

The legal rifles are the M1 Garand, the M1A (M14), and the AR15 (M16). And then the "match" rifles which for lack of a better word, are unlimited rifles. I don't have my rulebook nearby, but I am almost positive that the 1903 Springfield is shot in the match rifle class if used in a NRA Highpower match.

The CMP has game matches for the 1903 Springfield. I think the Springfield match is this weekend at Camp Perry. It is a fine old rifle and fairly impressive scores can still be fired with it, but most matches fired with it are CMP Games matches. At 200 yards only. Fired for fun and medals and t-shirts.

A stock AR with at least a 1X9 twist barrel, 20 inches long with 69 grain bullets at 2900 fps is an excellent way to get started in NRA Highpower. Later on you can add a free float tube, a better barrel, 1/2 minute sights, and a two stage trigger. But that can wait until later.

Even High Masters learn something new at every match. I try to rub shoulders with the High Masters. I hope something good will rub off..... I am a mere Master....:):
    I believe that only the 'Civilian Marksmanship Program" requires the use of US military rifles. In NRA matches, you can bring your mosin, AKM, or Ruger mini 14, you just have to shoot in 'match rifle' class with all the REAL match rifle shooters. In any case, in a club match nobody would care. Bring what you've got! FYI in november (I think) fcvcc has a NRA 'sporting rifle' match. The course of fire is similar but geared to bolt action hunting rifles. The only restriction I know of is that the rifle can't weigh more than 9lbs

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I believe that only the 'Civilian Marksmanship Program" requires the use of US military rifles. In NRA matches, you can bring your mosin, AKM, or Ruger mini 14, you just have to shoot in 'match rifle' class with all the REAL match rifle shooters. In any case, in a club match nobody would care. Bring what you've got! FYI in november (I think) fcvcc has a NRA 'sporting rifle' match. The course of fire is similar but geared to bolt action hunting rifles. The only restriction I know of is that the rifle can't weigh more than 9lbs

Shooting a Mini14 or a Mosin in a highpower match is a good way for someone to be totally frustrated. Heck neither can even be slung up properly.

Trying to shoot any of these crude rifles in a precision, position match is just an exersize in futility. Just bring a suitable rifle and at least shoot a marksman score with a rifle with good old american rifleman adjustable sights on it.

It is true, in a club match nobody would care. It is pretty sad for a guy to shoot a 150/500 with a Mosin when even a non-modified Garand can shoot a 420/500.

Nobody wants to get beat by a 12 Y/O shooting her first match with her Daddy's AR15. I have been. Trust me, it is very humbling.

Last edited:

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    It isn't one of the three service rifles.
    thats not a service rifle? uh thought it would be considered one. so m1, m14, and m16? i would like to have all 3 to be honest think ill start with the ar15 i was looking for a excuse to assemble one i think bcm parts should do.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom