• ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'm not sure what you are asking.

Are you interested in shooting pistol or rifle? CMP leg matches are only shot with the Service Rifle or Service pistol. For example, my home club is CMP affiliated because we have a Junior program, but we do not shoot any matches whose scores are reported to the CMP. But, because of this affiliation, the Club can purchase ammo from the CMP and other benefits too.

If you are interested in going distinguished in rifle or pistol, you must shoot leg matches in each discipline. Leg match scores are reported to the CMP. A club may be CMP affiliated, but not host any leg matches. All of its matches may be NRA matches, the scores of which are only reported to the NRA.

A lot of ranges are "CMP Affiliated" but that is a part of the Junior shooting programs required by the CMP and federal law.

The difference between leg matches (rifle) and NRA matches (rifle) are that all leg matches are 50 shot matches, with no sighter shots at 200, 300, and either 500 or 600 yards. NRA matches may be either 50 or 80 shot matches with sighters and may be shot with reduced courses of fire.

The next rifle leg match I know of is the Camp Perry match on Memorial day weekend. There will be a rifle Leg match run by the Indiana State R&P Assoc in June at Camp Atterbury. The rules are that a regional match hosted by a State Association must be followed by either a team match or a leg match.

Many local clubs in Indiana and surrounding states will also host leg matches throughout the summer season.

I commend you for asking the question, I hope I have not confused the issue for you. Go to your nearest club, shoot their matches and go from there. Plenty of folks there that can explain it to you.

PM me for my phone number, I would be glad to talk you through this confusing issue for new shooters. And this offer is also for anyone else reading this that I have totally confused.

Regards

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    What I was looking for was, clubs that are affiliated where you shoot the matches to be eligible to purchase M1's and ammo from the CMP.
    My cousin did this in the 80's and bought a Garand. Him, my brother, and I are thinking of doing this this summer. He would travel to other clubs and shoot matches. If I remember correctly he said (back then) that the match cost $10, and you received 50 rounds. You shot so many sitting, standing, and prone.
    If I remember correctly you had to shoot a minimum score to qualify.
    Sloughfoot let me contact him and see if he talked to the club he used to belong to. If not I will pm you. Thanks for the reply
    Kenny

Top Bottom