Are there any 3 gun competitions close to central Indy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Nope. Atlanta and Lafayette are the closest to Indy. There may be one starting up to the west of Indy, but it's still going to be a about an hour.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Doesn't that seem odd? I figured Indy would have more shooters than any other area of the state, not to mention all of the ranges around. Wonder why nothing has ever been offered...

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Are you kidding? An hour drive and that's too far???
    Kinda what I was thinking. I'm lucky in that the Fort has both multigun & USPSA in town, but I also drive 2hrs (one way) to all the other multigun events. From the majority of postings in the Shooting Sports forum, I think that's pretty typical. Seems like everybody's got a home club, but travels as well.

Slightly different situation down in Indy, cause "in town" can be an hour or more away, but think about the folks in Southern Indiana that have to drive 2-3 hours just to get close to INMG.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

It's relative for me. I used to be within 10 minutes of a nice indoor range and 20 from a nice outdoor club(Wildcat). Now living in Bloomington, I believe I am looking at an hour drive, maybe longer to find any kind of shooting match. I will probably do it next year, but I am kind of spoiled and would rather not spend two hours of my weekend time driving.

I may go to matches, but I won't be making weekly trips to the ranges for practice. I can't carve out that much time every weekend. And no way would I be able to make a weekly Trap shoot since by the time I get out of work and drive and hour or more, I would be too late.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Problem with the Indy area is the lack of rifle ranges. You can't have 3-gun without rifle (you know what I mean), and that significantly limits options. But after you've driven 8 hours for a 3-gun match, or flown cross country, the hour-long drives are refreshing!

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    lol, an hour? I too am from the Bloomington area soo every match we go to is min an hour. Took my kid to a scholastic shooting match down at the ky bluegrass range last Saturday. "4 hours one way"
    travel time is one of the prices you pay to shoot competitions.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these competitions seem like they would be an all day affair. Next year I will have two boys under two, so I am sure my opportunities to get away for an entire day will be limited. Driving an hour isn't out of the question, but I still find it odd that the closest 3 gun competition for Indy residents is an hour away. That's all I'm saying.

I am a member at Martinville Sportman Conservation Club, and I am surprised no one has ever organized something there. They have the ability to do different stages on different bays/ranges and even have the 300 yard range.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    I am a member at Martinville Sportman Conservation Club, and I am surprised no one has ever organized something there. They have the ability to do different stages on different bays/ranges and even have the 300 yard range.
    I live in Indy, and Martinsville is an hour drive for me. It's close for you, but that doesn't make it close for "Indy".

There is a lot that goes into organizing a proper 3 gun match. From the time it takes to design and build the stages, to the money involved in all of the targets needed, it's a huge affair.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but these competitions seem like they would be an all day affair. Next year I will have two boys under two, so I am sure my opportunities to get away for an entire day will be limited. Driving an hour isn't out of the question, but I still find it odd that the closest 3 gun competition for Indy residents is an hour away. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, most of them run for 8-10 hours. For the out of town matches, I usually leave at 6ish am and get home around 8ish pm. No doubt it's a big commitment. I think the bigger issue for your area may be just getting around Indy. For you, getting to Atlanta is a 40 mile trip that takes an hour. For me, its a 90 mile trip that takes an hour and a half. There's your difference, and it only gets worse when you talk about getting to Wildcat or Hillside.

Also, I don't know anything about the club you're at, but matches are a pretty big production for a club. They'll need special insurance, facilities to support 60-70 shooters all at once for a full day, and enough dedicated members to direct, setup, and clean up after matches on almost a monthly basis. That's a huge commitment that many clubs won't or just can't support. Bring it up at the next meeting, see what your BOD says. I highly doubt INMG would be against the possibility of another venue, especially in your area and considering the number of people that come up from Indy to participate in the series.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I live in Indy, and Martinsville is an hour drive for me. It's close for you, but that doesn't make it close for "Indy".

There is a lot that goes into organizing a proper 3 gun match. From the time it takes to design and build the stages, to the money involved in all of the targets needed, it's a huge affair.
    Ya beat me to it, lol.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Ok fine. I will quit complaining about driving over an hour to compete. I think it is worth it. I have so much fun and have learned a lot. IDPA at Atlanta has me leaving house at 7:30am and usually home about 3:00pm. And costs about $100. Match fee, GAS, food, and ammo being the expenses. There are usually about 65 shooters there.

I haven't done 3 gun yet. But that is next!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I shot 3-gun regularly, I drove from Montgomery Co. to Owensboro (KY) every time they had a 3-gun match. Back then, the only 3-gun in central Indiana were the USPSA 3-gun and then Multigun matches that we held at AtlantaCC. We only had one at WVPPS/RileyCC in this millenium.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Hey The Big Sitt shoot me a PM. There are 3 of us on the Southside, close to Perry-Meridian HS, that go to IDPA matches up in Atlanta. We also want to try Wildcat in the near future. I have a crew cab f250 so we have plenty of room. If interested send me your contact info and we can talk. -Jason

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Just to add to this, there may be an announcement soon about a range that will begin hosting 3 gun matches south of Indy next season... :thumbsup:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just to add to this, there may be an announcement soon about a range that will begin hosting 3 gun matches south of Indy next season... :thumbsup:

Please tell us where? Because if they are going to host 3-gun, maybe, just maybe they will have some pistol action shooting too.

I just moved to Bloomington and am suffering with the "blues" due to not having places to shoot!

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I drive 2-3 hours each way for a good club match. I'll drive 5-6 hours for a good Multi day match.

hopefully someday every gun club out there will offer a monthly 3-gun match.

good luck!

Top Bottom