• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Just Shot sporting clays for the first time Saturday. I loved it but wondered if I was using the correct choke. I was using a modified. What would be the recommendation for a beginner? Thanks

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'd say the choke you have (will use often) is the best one.

Really though, all the rest of the fundamentals of shooting a flying target with a shotgun are going to have much more impact on your results than which choke you're using. Engagement range will also be an important factor in choosing.

Take the money you'd spend on a different choke and use it for more ammo/birds. When you're hitting them 10/10, let them get a bit further down range and try again.

harrna02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    columbia city
    Just Shot sporting clays for the first time Saturday. I loved it but wondered if I was using the correct choke. I was using a modified. What would be the recommendation for a beginner? Thanks
    I agree with rosejm. Don't worry about the choke or firearm. Use what you have and just go shoot! When you have more experience, you can then worry about tweaking equipment. You will have a much better idea of what your difficulties are and what equipment you need after shooting more clays! It's a heck of a lot of fun isn't it!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Modified is a pretty useful choke. I have seen people that are seriously involved in the sport and they have a tray style box where they actually have different ammo for different target presentations and have speed crank type choke wrenches to spin different chokes in and out for the same purpose. I tried that one year, it seemed like all that hurried prep work didn't actually get me any more score. If a person is already averaging 98-99% on a sporting clays field, the extra stuff my push you to 100%, maybe not.

I shoot a selectable O/U and I shoot a modified on top and an improved cylinder on the bottom. I use standard loads of #8. Other than a pair of 60 yard presentations at Beaumont Gun Club, I have never felt I was not well prepared. In a single barrel gun, Modified (or light modified) would be the best ticket.

Then to muddy the waters more, a modified in my big bore optima barrel Beretta groups almost as tight as the Full in my field grade 1100 with the same ammo on the target board.

Last edited:

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    My recommendation would be use the choke you have. Probably the most important thing you can do in my opinion is take your gun out and pattern it to see where it actually shoots. I just did that this weekend with the gun I am going to deer hunt with. Turn out when I shoot my shotgun with slugs it (or I) shoot about 4 inches right and an inch and a half high. Good thing to know if I see a deer this weekend.

Point being if your not shooting where you think you are it will greatly affect you sporting clays score.

Top Bottom