Event Information:
    When
    Sunday, November 15 2015
    Setup: 9:30-11 AM
    Shooters Meeting and Safety Briefing: 11:45
    Stages: 5 COF
    Round Count: TBD

Match Fee: $20/ $15 to ACC Members; $3 open bolt indicators

Atlanta Conservation Club (ACC) will be holding tactical carbine match this Sunday morning April 28th. We ask everyone to Pre-register as this helps us with staff planning. The URL to pre-register is:

https://practiscore.com/november-15th-carbine/register

Second, weather can sometime be an issue, on days that weather is a concern please check INGunOwners - Indiana Gun Owners Community under "shooting sports" and indyidpa.com for any cancellations.

Open bolt indicators are mandatory for this match and will try to have a limited number for sale for $3. However, please bring your own if you have one. On arrival at match, please leave guns bagged until directed otherwise.

The safety briefing is MANDATORY for all shooters, miss the briefing miss the match!

Classifications:

MRO - Modern Rifle Optic
    MRI - Modern Rifle Iron
    PCO - Pistol Carbine Optic
    PCI - Pistol Carbine Iron
    WW2 - World War 2 Era Rifles (Garand, M1 Carbine)
    MBR - Main Battle Rifle (.308)
    AK - Kalashnikov style Rifles (47/74) <- NEW FOR THIS MATCH!

Finally, please feel free to email us at carbine.shooters@yahoo.com if you have any questions. Thanks!

Last edited:

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    What would be needed as far as gear goes? I would like to give it a shot but don't have a whole lot other than my rifle and some magazines.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    What would be needed as far as gear goes? I would like to give it a shot but don't have a whole lot other than my rifle and some magazines.

....and a bag to store it in an you are gtg. Of course this assumes eye/hearing protection as well.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know if I would need a mini chest rig or rifle mag pouches. I think I will try to attend if I'm free. Sounds like a good time.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have to look and see if I am free to. This sounds like it would be great fun

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If I wanted to sign myself and a friend up would I create a group registration or do it individually?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    another vote for "sounds like fun". Ill try to get a kitchen pass. Here is the original announcement with more details:

Tactical Carbine Match!!!

Where
    Atlanta Conservation Club (ACC)

When
    Sunday, November 15 2015
    Setup: 9:30-11 AM
    Shooters Meeting and Safety Briefing: 11:45

Cost: $20/ $15 to ACC Members Round Count: ~150 rounds

Please RSVP and Send Questions To: carbine.shooters@yahoo.com

Purpose
    Expose the shooter to tactical problem solving situations utilizing modern semi-automatic rifles/carbines under the framework of IDPA-inspired rules and format.

What to Expect
    Our goal is to take common IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) scenarios and tailor them to the tactical carbine format. Although this match is in no way affiliated or sponsored by IDPA, the fundamental rules, format, and procedures from IDPA will be the basis. IDPA is an excellent organization and we feel their rules and format form a solid foundation for tactical shooting sports.

This is not intended to be a match for “gamers”, nor a chance to see who has the coolest AR. It is designed around the concept of fighting with the carbine. Stages will be setup so the shooter can test what he/she can do with a carbine against multiple aggressive opponents under circumstances where a carbine is at its best. Ranges will vary from bad breath distance to the max size of the bays. There will be movement, reloads, multiple targets, and hopefully tactical thinking.

However, it is not Ranger school and will not be so strenuous that you have to be athletic to participate. We will be inclusive to shooters with differing skills, capabilities, equipment, and physical conditions. As long as you are safe, courteous, want to shoot, and desire to have fun then please come out and join us!

What to Bring
    First and foremost, a clear and attentive mind focused on safety and tactical problem solving.
    Next, bring a desire to have fun with your fellow shooters in a courteous and mutually supportive environment. Sure we’re competing, but we’re also all friends and on the same side.
    As for hardware, below are general recommendations, but if you don’t have all this equipment come and shoot anyway! As long as you have a long gun, we’ll find a way to accommodate.

Firearm
    Match is geared toward modern, semi-automatic rifles/carbines in 5.56/7.62x39 with the most common platforms being AR’s and AK’s. Other carbines in that category are fine too, such as Mini-14’s, SKS, HK-93’s, SIG 556’s, etc. Full size files such as M-14’s, FAL’s, and HK-91’s will also do well. 9mm sub-guns such as Uzi’s, MP5’s, etc are welcome and accommodations will be made for longer shooting distances.

Less “tactical” firearms such as 30/30 lever actions, and slide actions can be used, but you’ll just have work harder and we may have to customize the stage rules a little to accommodate. WWII era equipment such as M1 Carbines or the legendary M1 Garand are welcome and really not at as much of a disadvantage as you might think. We will have a special Korean War/WW2 era classification and a Kalashnikov division.

While we like “cool” toys that require special licensing, there are some restrictions we need to put on. SBR’s are fine as long as they are handled safety. Full-autos need to be fired in only semi-auto mode. Sound suppressed weapons can have issues with the timer picking up shots. If you bring one, also bring a backup in case the timer doesn’t pick it up. Unfortunately, we won’t have a lot of time to tweak the timer settings to accommodate.

Pistols are not part of this match (This includes AR-15/Draco/etc pistols). While we’d love to run transition stages, those are not feasible at this time. Shotguns (even with slugs) are not applicable here either.

Equipment
    A range bag to store your gun or a gun cart are required between moving between bays in addition to open bolt indicators to indicate your gun is safe.

Magnified optics, red-dot sights, or iron sights are all allowed.

Ideally at least 4 high capacity magazines loaded to 10 rounds unless otherwise specified. We will be doing speed loads, tac-loads, etc so multiple magazines will help. Most stages will be 10 rounds per magazine, but some may have the magazine fully charged, some less. If you don’t have that many magazines, come anyway and either someone may lend you one or we’ll find a way to accommodate.

A way to carry your magazines, preferably in magazine carries and not your pockets unless you enjoy fumbling your magazine loads. If you only have pockets, that is okay but your reloads will be slower. If you have a tactical vest, LBE, bug-out bag, etc, then you are welcome to use it. The key thing is to bring the equipment you realistically expect to be fighting in. This is an excellent way to find out if that cool-guy, high speed ammo carrier you got at the last gun show really works as well as you think it will. Or, if you only keep two magazines on your belt and one in the gun, then go with that but keep your equipment realistic to your personal situation and lifestyle.

Given the nature of the equipment we are using, cover garments are not required since your carbine is clearly visible. However, many IDPA-style cover garment vests have AR/AK magazine pockets so they may prove useful.

Knee and elbow pads are suggested if you have them. Shooting prone, kneeling, and transitions between those positions are part of some stages so that equipment may make your shooting experience more enjoyable.

Eye protection and ear protection is mandatory; no explanation necessary.

Safety Rules and Range Procedures

Safety rules on the range are non-negotiable and enforced; will not have a hazardous environment and simply cannot tolerate unsafe behaviors. We thank you for your support in this important effort.

Regarding safety, a great place to start is the Four Fundamental Rules started at Gunsite by the late Col. Jeff Cooper:

ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, at all times, no matter what.
    Think and BELIEVE every time the gun is handled, it could fire.

NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY.

Be conscious of the direction of your muzzle is pointed at all times.
    This includes yourself, any other person, animal, or property.
    It DOES NOT MATTER if the slide is open, gun unloaded, or on safe; do NOT sweep people with the gun. This is of particular risk for administrative handling of rifles when racking or bagging your gun and moving from/to the firing line.

KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ALIGNED WITH THE TARGET.

Considered the “Golden Rule”; do NOT let your finger contact the trigger until the gun is on target. Unless you have your sights on the target, keep your finger indexed along side the gun, not on the trigger.

BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND ITS SURROUNDINGS.

Pay attention to what is going on around your target, in front of the target, and behind your target.
    YOU are morally, ethically, and legally responsible for the final resting place of the bullet, intentionally fired or not, no matter what happened.

A full list of administrative range rules for Atlanta Conversation Club (ACC) can be found here: http://www.eteamz.com/AtlantaConservationClub/news/index.cfm?cat=593278

A few specific items for this match at ACC include:

ACC is a COLD range. That means weapons are unloaded except on the firing line under the direction of a Range Officer (RO). You can load your magazines, but do NOT load your weapon until told to do so by the RO prior to your turn shooting.
    Upon arrival on the range and match registration, either keep your rifle in its shooting bag Keep bolt locked to rear and safety on where possible.
    Open bolt indicators are mandatory and we MAY have a small amount available for purchase at the match.
    When handling you weapon, be conscious of where the muzzle is pointing and do NOT allow it to cover anyone, even if it is unloaded. Be especially vigilant when putting your weapon on the rack, taking it off, and moving to/from the shooting position.
    Handle your weapon either in the designated safe area or only under the supervision and direction of a Range Officer. We all want to show off our guns to our buddies, but do so at home or in the safe area.
    We observe the 180 degree rule on the shooting range; if the muzzle breaks the 180 degree line on the range you will be disqualified.
    All shooters, including current ACC members, will be required to sign a release of liability to participate. Yes, we know this is not common for other matches, but it is for most shooting schools and will be implemented here.

Any questions, please ask a Range Officer and we’ll be happy to help (that’s why we are here). Follow the safety rules above, THINK about what you are doing before you do it, and use good judgment so we won’t have any incidents and everyone can have fun.

Tentative Stages
    Stages will be either a real-world scenario format or a skills test; most will be scenarios. IDPA shooters will find these to be familiar. Depending on the number of shooters, skill level, range conditions, and weather the match directors may add, remove, or alter stages as needed. The intent is to keep the match within a 3-4 hour timeframe once we start shooting.

Each scenario stage follows the general guideline of “could this happen in real life?” If so, it is a candidate for a stage. Often times they push you to shoot “outside your comfort zone” by shooting in ways you may be unfamiliar; that is the idea. Examples would be shooting on the move or firing weak handed. Or they will seek to stress a tactical concept such as moving towards cover.

Skills tests are simply that; a way to test your skill. These are non-scenario based and are designed to test your ability to perform specific tasks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    All,
    Due to strong demand the match is now full and we cannot accept any more new competitors. IF you have already registered, emailed us, or have something worked out with an RO you are good to go and we look forward to seeing you on Sunday. I'm sorry we had to take this drastic step: but we only have a 4-5 hour window to execute the match in and once you start talking squads of 14+ that get's a lot harder to get done.

Thank you for the strong interest and we hope to put on another match when the weather get's nicer in the spring.

Mike C

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Woo hoo! I am the king! Top Pistol Caliber Irons!
    Overall, I was...wait. I was 54th...out of 59. Ohhhhhh. I must've been the ONLY PCI shooter. OK then. Never mind.

Top Bottom