How much experience should I have before my first IDPA visit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I have had a few classes but not a lot of range time. I certainly intend to visit the range much more often but practical shooting intrigues me over simple target shooting. I did pretty well at my NRA pistol class. And I recently took some private instruction with drawing from holster to hitting multiple targets. The instructor thought I did fine.

I don't want to jump ahead and waste money and time but I would like to obtain a more practical skillset.

Thoughts?

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    You must be able to SAFELY manipulate your firearm including drawing, loading, shooting, unloading, and clearing malfunctions. You must be able to follow instructions when they are given. If you can fo that, you're ready for your first match!

FNS is a great place to start as well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    FNS is cool, but you can't draw, unless the rules have changed. Take a basic pistol self defense course, where you can learn drawing and mag changes, then go for it. Let them know you are a new shooter and I'm sure someone will show you the ropes.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    As long as you can safely perform the actions mentioned above,load, unload, shoot and maintain muzzle discipline you are ready. The IDPA clubs I shoot at have a new shooter orientation before the regular safety meeting that will keep everything fresh in your mind. Usually new shooters will be split up between squads so one SO doesn't have all new shooters. Most SO's will also put new shooters toward the bottom of the shooting order so they can watch other shooters before their turn. This also gives time for the more experienced shooters time to get to know you and they will give you advice to help keep you out of trouble. Aside from that just keep safety first and foremost in your mind, don't try to shoot faster than you can do so safely and you will do fine. Jim.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I would recommend that you attend a match just to watch and ask questions the first time. That way you can see what is expected of the shooter and ask questions about equipment, rules and procedure. I was much more comfortable at my first match, knowing what was expected. Above all, get involved and have a great time. All shooters welcome the new folks. Check out the Atlanta Conservation Club, they have all kinds of shoots. Hope to see you soon!!!
    Atlanta Conservation Club

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Not a bad idea to go to the IDPA website and read section 2 in the rule book, that is the safety stuff and it is only a few pages.

While you are at it, might as well skim through anything else that strikes your fancy (optional).

One of the better shooters wrote that he prepares for IDPA by moving from room to room with an empty gun and having a friend occasionally scream "COVER" for no apparent reason. That is probably not something to worry about until after you have shot a few matches though.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    As others have said, being safe and being able to safely handle your weapon is key. When I have done new shooter safety briefs I've always told them to only go as quickly as they could all while being mistake free. There is some stress than shooting in front of your peers and being able to set that aside to get some experience is also key. IDPA, USPSA, Friday Night Steel...any handgun shooting sport, isn't a sprint where you are a 1 and Done. it takes about half a dozen matches just to get a feel for the sport itself so it isn't necessary that you feel like you should be able to come out and compete for wins right out of the gate. The competition field is littered with lots and lots of pride for those that wanted to come out and show the locals how it is done...and sadly some don't come back because they did make a mistake and that is unfortunate. Mistakes are only bad if they are not learned from.

Saddle up, bring your gear and contact the match directors ahead of time and let them know you are interested in attending and that you are new to competitive shooting. Watching a match can be beneficial but can also be intimidating if you don't take what you see with some perspective. Don't watch the fastest shooters and think that you can't compete with them and then never come back. In the end only about 1% of those that shoot competitively are really other-worldly at it the rest of us are out to have fun, get some sun and exercise and to better ourselves so the competition aspect of it is really just pitting our current self against our former self and trying to constantly improve. Head out there, have a good time, go slowly and safely the first few matches, ask questions, join any discussion group (like this one) and ask many questions from them too! Most importantly: Have fun! Be Safe! Help participate in the club by tearing down the props when the match is over, paste targets and reset steel when called upon and refrain from the urge to pick up empty brass until the match is over or the course of fire is clear and no squad is waiting behind you!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Since you're in the Marion County area, I recommend the above also, because it involves a lot of things that are good for a beginner to learn. You'll get to work on drawing, moving, & reloading while engaging multiple targets, and it's completely centered around beginners so you won't feel out of place. The match director is an instructor himself. I've taken newbie instruction from him and would heartily recommend getting in touch with him by PM. If you've already taken NRA pistol and some private instruction, this would be a good next step.

Top Bottom