• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have been wanting to try out some competitive shooting for a couple years now but have been a bit nervous and have not yet just jumped in. IN doing some research, it seems like FNS @ MCFG might be a good introduction for me. I was on their website yesterday getting familiar with the set up and rules. Just had a couple questions:

1. How many shooters usually participate?

2. How long does the entire competition take?

3. What percentage of shooters enter and shoot multiple guns?

Thanks to INGO for any insight you can provide.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    I went twice last summer. Very laid back atmosphere and would be a great start to get your feet wet shooting competitively. Range commands are essentially the same as USPSA, and cold range rules apply. You can start at low-ready position, so you don't have to worry about drawing from a holster, etc. Drawing from a holster may be an option, but I don't remember. Round count is about perfect, nothing crazy but you get plenty of shooting. Most stages were probably in the 8-10 round range, so reloads weren't an issue unless you miss a bunch or are shooting a revolver/single stack... They are great in regards to range safety, as there seemed to be a fairly large number of new shooters there. Make it known you are a first-time competitor, and they'll make sure you fully understand the safety rules, range commands, etc.

1.) Probably 50-75 shooters (it was summertime when I went, so YMMV). Usually 5-6 squads with 10-15 in each.
    2.) I believe it took about 3-4 hours, give or take. It seemed to move pretty quickly.
    3.) There were a few that entered multiple firearms, but not many.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I've been 3 times (I think) and by no means am I a competitive shooter. I go for fun. There are 5 stages, shoot 3 strings at each stage. Usually a string consists of 6 shots (provided you don't miss like I do). Have at least 4 mags (or speed loaders) for your gun as loading mags on the line is not allowed. 1 mag per string with a backup.

1) I think I've seen 8-12 per squad
    2) Be there by 6 (I think it is 6:15 now) for the meeting, usually done and packed up by 8:30ish or so depending on the number of shooters in each squad
    3) I've seen it a couple of times, but if there are a lot of people that night they don't allow it. This time of year there probably aren't as many people, so multiple guns would be fine.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Well there ya go. Questions answered by some experienced pros. It's an excellent venue for newer shooters to try out competition. I'd say it runs 2-3 hours, not 3-4. Make sure you arrive with an UNLOADED GUN!!! In a bag! or pouch or holster. UNLOADED.

If it's your first time, only bring one gun. Make it your most accurate gun. It only counts if you hit the targets! I've seen shooters burn nearly 100 rounds when they only should have used 15 on a stage! At worst, you either run out of ammo or you hit the 30 second time limit. Neither is real fun!

bconn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, In
    For your first time be sure you have 4 or 5 magazines and about 150 to 200 rounds. Until the main range is finished being renevated there are 4 stages . 2 stages in each bay. If you are a member it is $10 or nonmembers $15 . The RO's are very helpful for new shooters. Safety meeting starts at 6:15 and is mandatory. Usually over by 8:30 or 9.

Top Bottom