• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    After shooting a dozen or so matches (USPSA and 3-gun) the past couple of years with my Glock 23, I've decided to try a G35 and have some set-up questions for the Limited class. So far it's stock with a set of Dawson F/O sights. Getting much better with the pistol each range trip...

1.) Anyone have experience with the Taran Tactical +5/6 mag extensions? Reviews seem positive for the most part, but may not play well with certain magwells?? Just wanted some opinions on performance and durability before dropping $40/each for these. Not afraid to spend the money if they work. Are the magazines still legal for USPSA limited with these on there?

2.) Magwells. Do I need one and what brand are people using? Which ones will work with the Taran mag extensions?

3.) Trigger. Do I need to upgrade, or just work with what's on it? I have accumulated a pretty good amount of work with Glock triggers over the years and am comfortable using them. Necessary upgrade or waste of money?

Anything else I missed, or any other advice?

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    1) ref the Taran basepads, I have several for my M&P and they are solid. Only issue I've had is longevity of mag springs. My first set took a set rather quickly (TTI replaced them without question). You definitely need something and it seems like the most popular are TTI or Taylor Freelance. Arredondo makes some too I think, but I have no experience with them.

Not it familiar with glock magwells, but I think Dawson makes an Ice magwell for it. Everything else I've bought from Dawson was high quality so if it was me I'd look there.

Trigger is is a definite yes on upgrading. Not sure what path you want to take for that but getting a lighter more crisp trigger is a major plus with any race type gun. I've found that anytime I've upgraded the trigger in any gun I almost immediately wondered what took me so long to do it!

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I dont have any experience with Taran extensions, but I have used the Dawson extensions and they have worked very well with the Carver Mag Well.

As far as the mag well goes checkout Carver Custom. Their mag wells are great. Welcome to B&B Enterprise Jacksonville, FL they also have a number of upgrades that may appeal to you.

The glock 35 comes with a 3.5lb trigger. However there are still a number of people that work on their trigger pull. I like the stock 3.5lb, but thats just me.

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    I dont have any experience with Taran extensions, but I have used the Dawson extensions and they have worked very well with the Carver Mag Well.

As far as the mag well goes checkout Carver Custom. Their mag wells are great. Welcome to B&B Enterprise Jacksonville, FL they also have a number of upgrades that may appeal to you.

The glock 35 comes with a 3.5lb trigger. However there are still a number of people that work on their trigger pull. I like the stock 3.5lb, but thats just me.

I used the Arredondo extensions. They worked nice. They make the mag 20. Don't go crazy on the internals. I have one for sale if you need one. PM me if interested.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    After shooting a dozen or so matches (USPSA and 3-gun) the past couple of years with my Glock 23, I've decided to try a G35 and have some set-up questions for the Limited class. So far it's stock with a set of Dawson F/O sights. Getting much better with the pistol each range trip...

1.) Anyone have experience with the Taran Tactical +5/6 mag extensions? Reviews seem positive for the most part, but may not play well with certain magwells?? Just wanted some opinions on performance and durability before dropping $40/each for these. Not afraid to spend the money if they work. Are the magazines still legal for USPSA limited with these on there?

2.) Magwells. Do I need one and what brand are people using? Which ones will work with the Taran mag extensions?

3.) Trigger. Do I need to upgrade, or just work with what's on it? I have accumulated a pretty good amount of work with Glock triggers over the years and am comfortable using them. Necessary upgrade or waste of money?

I can't speak to the other items, but I use the Taran extensions for my G34 & G35 and like them. I load them to 19 rds. in .40 caliber...haven't tried loading them deeper because I haven't needed to for the matches I shoot (USPSA). They are pricey at $40 a pop. But durable & easy to use. I like that they make the bottom of the mag flat when installed, instead of angled, so the mags will stand up by themselves on a flat surface and it's easier to load rounds in them with your mag loader.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    1.) Anyone have experience with the Taran Tactical +5/6 mag extensions?

It's all I've used so far. Can take a little work (filing on the follower) to get them to fill up easily. They hold 20, but it's tight. only one time in a match have I loaded 20 (to have 1 spare round on a 20 round course).

but may not play well with certain magwells??
    don't know, I don't use a magwell.

. Are the magazines still legal for USPSA limited with these on there?
    Mine fit the gauge. They might all work, but IMO, you never know until you try in the gauge... it's usually only a few thou clearance.

Need one? I don't know, can you hit the mag well w/o one? ;) they can be a help on a slightly imperfect reload and add some weight. Where the gun sits in my hand, I haven't found one I like that doesn't affect my grip, so I don't use one (plus I want my Lim and Prod setups to be pretty similar). I do use one on my 2011, but the magwell sits more below my hand than in my hand.

3.) Trigger. Do I need to upgrade, or just work with what's on it? ... Necessary upgrade or waste of money?
    Up to you. Factory trigger ok except the standard is too heavy and the "-" is too mushy. I tried the taran and it's not bad for the price. But it's a glock, you can only polish that turd so much, so I quit screwing with it and dryfired....

-rvb

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort

One of the issues I have been seeing with the Taran Extensions is when loading the mag to capacity (20) Seems to be putting Extreme pressure on the Mag Catch And Causing The notch on the mag to wear out rather quickly Mostly on Gen 4 mags. I used Arredondo Extentions For several years with no issues.

Get the Heaviest one you can find. plus this SJC Glock Frame Weight - SJ Customs

Most people are happy with the $ 0.50 trigger job. Polishing parts!!!

Anything else I missed, or any other advice? PRACTICE!!!!

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN

1) don't know, I use Arradondo and have not had problems.

2) why wouldn't you use one? heavy ice magwell.

3) A good trigger will probably be the biggest help to shooting betterer. You don't need one, but a trigger upgrade is a huge help. I have a Vanek trigger and it breaks around 2.75# with much reduced take up and reset. I have always wanted to try others but the Vanek has served me well.

Get a tungsten guide rod and play with different main springs until you find a good one with the loads you are shooting.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    My son Nick shoots lots of USPSA, He runs a Glock 17 with +5/6 Taran Base pads but do not load them full load them to -1 of max (Nick only loads his to 22 rounds of 9mm), yes they are legal in USPSA and 3Gun. He also runs a Zev magwell, they are helpful in guiding the mag in a little quicker like others have said go heavy. As for trigger thats depends on what you like, Nick started of with a stock trigger that he had some work done to, but he started having issues with double taps, he now uses the GlockTriggers.com "Edge" trigger and loves it. It is a full drop in and is easy to do! Here is a photo of it https://www.facebook.com/nickdmcinn...3004771216656/367393533444446/?type=3&theater.

Zev Technologies - Performance Glock Parts
    The EDGE Competition Trigger System - Glocktriggers.com

Last edited:
    Top Bottom