Match DQ during Indiana Multigun Match at Wildcat.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    Earlier today I received my first match DQ. Ever. The worst part - it was for breaking 180.

Initially I was shocked and taken aback because I didn't think I had broken 180 -- I honestly thought I was shooting within the bounds of 180 degrees. I wanted to argue about it -- but didn't. Instead, I quietly walked to the back of the bay (obviously after everything was clear and the RO announced accordingly), got my stuff together, and loaded out.

I stayed around for another hour and watched the next stage before leaving for the day. During that hour, I did something I now view as stupid -- I made (2) passive comments about my DQ.

I regret that now.

Regardless of whether or not I broke 180 -- I'm glad I got DQ'd. I would even say I needed to be DQ'd.

Why? Because when it happened, I felt like it was bogus.

I love shooting. I grew up competing in American skeet -- today was my first 3 gun match -- shooting sports are something for which I have a great passion.

The fact someone called my violation and held me responsible is awesome. Safety is a big deal, and today proved there are a lot of people that share that sentiment. The minute we stop making safety the number 1 priority is the minute we should lay things down and step away. I'm glad I got called out, and I guarantee I won't react the same way if this ever happens again. My RO did an exceptional job today.

A big thank you to all ROs and range staff today. While my first match may have been cut short, it was a great experience and I will be back.

On a side note -- the few people I met today were a class-act. Extremely kind and helpful. I look forward to shooting another match in the future.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There are two kinds of people that shoot competition. Those who have been DQ'ed and those that will be.

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    There are two kinds of people that shoot competition. Those who have been DQ'ed and those that will be.

I'm part of the second group. I know it's coming, just trying to play safe.

R.O.'s need to keep safety in mind for all participants.

Thanks for playing the sport, come back and try again.....

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Earlier today I received my first match DQ. Ever. The worst part - it was for breaking 180.

Initially I was shocked and taken aback because I didn't think I had broken 180 -- I honestly thought I was shooting within the bounds of 180 degrees.
    I love shooting. I grew up competing in American skeet -- today was my first 3 gun match -- shooting sports are something for which I have a great passion.

So you've competed in skeet... ok, any other "practical" competitions like uspsa/idpa, or was this 3-gun event your first such match? complete muzzle awareness while moving, shooting, reloading, even falling down is a learned trait. Most people who don't do that type of shooting believe they have great muzzle awareness, but are really only aware of it 10% of the time. even if you've done practical pistol, a long gun makes it easier to accidently break the 180, especially when moving or engaging to your weak side.

Try not to be so close to the 180 that a degree or two matters. most 180's on targets near the edge don't happen during the actual shooting, but as you come into or out of the position (not aware of the muzzle when moving). exaggerate keeping the muzzle down-range as much as you can to avoid the debate with the RO as to whether you were at 179 or 181...

-rvb

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    aspiringsnd;6643844 ...I stayed around for another hour and watched the next stage before leaving for the day...[/QUOTE said:
    Next time this happens, and if you compete long enough it will happen again, you might want to stick around and help with the stages. You might also learn a few other things about stage management and breakdown as well as gun handling.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Excellent post, and excellent learning moment. Rep +1

You're kind is welcome on a range with me anytime.

-Nate

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Next time this happens, and if you compete long enough it will happen again, you might want to stick around and help with the stages.

That is the classy number one option, but I think it only works well in situations where you can get past being crabby and less than ideal company.

Not that I have ever held on to being crabby about anything, certainly didn't pout all afternoon and then during the long ride home after my first dq, not me.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    My only experience is a stage DQ, which I got early for stepping over a rope that I thought I had my ankle inside. I would have liked to have been allowed to shoot the stage for no score anyway, since it wasn't a safety dq, but oh well. I wasn't mad. My approach was to laugh about it and move on.

I gotta say that if I got a match DQ, I doubt I would stay the rest of the match if it was early on. I wouldn't be mad, just wouldn't be willing to give the rest of my day away from my family to spectate. Not bad sportsmanship, not pouting, just hard for me to get away as it is to shoot a match, so if I am not shooting, I am back home with the kids.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    Getting DQ'd on the second stage was pretty awful -- especially when there's so much good shooting left of which I could not participate. In the end, being crabby about the situation -- even for a brief time -- was fairly childish.

I can honestly say I learned a lot from this situation -- and will certainly do my best to keep it from ever happening again.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I picked up my first dq at the last riley match. No arguing was needed.
    I stayed and ro'd
    I am always crabby so I don't think anyone noticed.

You can say that again!!:stickpoke:

He's almost as grouchy as I am!

People are always saying, "That riverman67 is almost as crabby as rhino!"

My only experience is a stage DQ, which I got early for stepping over a rope that I thought I had my ankle inside. I would have liked to have been allowed to shoot the stage for no score anyway, since it wasn't a safety dq, but oh well. I wasn't mad. My approach was to laugh about it and move on.

I gotta say that if I got a match DQ, I doubt I would stay the rest of the match if it was early on. I wouldn't be mad, just wouldn't be willing to give the rest of my day away from my family to spectate. Not bad sportsmanship, not pouting, just hard for me to get away as it is to shoot a match, so if I am not shooting, I am back home with the kids.

What sport were you shooting where there was a "stage DQ" and not a match DQ? USPSA and IDPA a DQ is for the whole match. Are you talking about a penalty of some kind?

Well I like to keep it on an even keel

And you do well.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    He's almost as grouchy as I am!

People are always saying, "That riverman67 is almost as crabby as rhino!"

What sport were you shooting where there was a "stage DQ" and not a match DQ? USPSA and IDPA a DQ is for the whole match. Are you talking about a penalty of some kind?

And you do well.
    IN Multigun..... And it was a stage DQ

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Getting DQ'd on the second stage was pretty awful -- especially when there's so much good shooting left of which I could not participate. In the end, being crabby about the situation -- even for a brief time -- was fairly childish.

I can honestly say I learned a lot from this situation -- and will certainly do my best to keep it from ever happening again.

No, Crabby for a brief time is not childish. Its normal. Its when you cant get over yourself is when it becomes childish. If the latter happens, just move on down the road and let the rest of the squad have their fun without a grumpy gus raining on their parade. I'm sure they wont miss the crabby pair of hands at the end helping clean up.

And I agree, stick around and help. (IF you are able to get over yourself) You already planned on spending the day out there and then helping clean up, so why change? Hang out with good folks, and maybe learn something. Maybe your goal for the day at that point is to be the best damned paster on the range. :):

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    Your right coach. Thanks for handing me one of mine. I had it coming. i recall you calmly handing me my gun and saying "do you know what this means?"

Top Bottom