• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scottcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2016
    Avon
    Hey guys and gals ! Happy Friday! So been hunting with my bow. I have a fred bear lights out. I love it for hunting. I cant keep up with all news compound tech but over the years I've come to find that one of my favorite things of preparing for deer season is getting my bow out and shooting it. I just really enjoy it and was looking to see if anyone can tell me about archery clubs and competition archery. One of my concerns is having sufficient gear to stay competitive. Any personal xp and opinions would be helpful. Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!

racegunz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    USPSA is starting up a archery division along with a muzzle loader division
    should be just what you need for speed shooting
    critters

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    USPSA is starting up a archery division along with a muzzle loader division
    should be just what you need for speed shooting
    critters

You joke but such an event does or at least did exist. The NMLRA hosts the national matches in Friendship, IN. The primitive matches (divisions) competitors had to wear period clothing and use traditional weapons. They ran through the woods, shot targets in the trees, shot axe blades to split the bullets, reloaded while moving, threw tomahawk & knife. Blcak powder or archery is a completely different marksmanship game.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Accuracy with black powder...is a completely different marksmanship game.

Meh. Referring specifically to marksmanship--that being the human's part in deploying accurate rifle fire--all the same tenets apply to it as to any other rifle use.

-Nate

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Meh. Referring specifically to marksmanship--that being the human's part in deploying accurate rifle fire--all the same tenets apply to it as to any other rifle use.

-Nate

I agree completely. Fundamentals are the same. In fact even more critical. Especially as it applies to rifle use. Marksmanship is really a combination of speed vs accuracy. As my post was directed towards the uspsa comment I pointed out the distinction. USPSA is different then bullseye shooting for example, mostly in tempo as opposed to fundamentals.

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Sorry for the responses you've gotten so far. Not much help and not very encouraging for a new visitor to the site.

I sent a pm with some suggestions and info.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    After hunting season a lot of folks shoot the 20 yard indoor bullseye leagues.

Sportsman/archery clubs have open 3D shoots starting in the spring, some shops even have ranges set up all the time (non club, no membership, just pay to shoot).

There you can practice on some days, before they go out and change the stakes and have a "trophy shoot" on a weekend.
    One place I know of is Bass n Bucks in Wabash.

I used to travel to some shoot every weekend back in the day, loads of fun. Unfortunately even back then I saw a change in the average participant I did not like.
    So I said screw it and quit.

Now I just shoot with a buddy, once in a while, non trophy shoots. Much more fun.

Competition does add pressure, which helps you to develop focus and make you a better shot (if you try to compete LOL).
    Once you have arrived at that level of concentration, do well all the time with hunting gear...........you'll have to either "play the game" or just accept that your hunting gear will not put you at #1.

The 3D game has changed from what it was in the 80's. Less bowhunting, more target archery.

There are classes in competition based on gear type, but even within those.........if you want to compete..........have a thick wallet.
    IMHO, showing up with a bud, even on trophy shoots, and keeping score...........is fun.
    Beat your bud or top the score you shot there last time..................good enough.

You want to win your class against others? Gonna cost you some time and money.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Hey guys and gals ! Happy Friday! So been hunting with my bow. I have a fred bear lights out. I love it for hunting. I cant keep up with all news compound tech but over the years I've come to find that one of my favorite things of preparing for deer season is getting my bow out and shooting it. I just really enjoy it and was looking to see if anyone can tell me about archery clubs and competition archery. One of my concerns is having sufficient gear to stay competitive. Any personal xp and opinions would be helpful. Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!

I am one of the directors for our local conservation club, and we do quite a bit with archery. We host 4 outdoor shoots every year that usually draws around 175 shooters per shoot. 3 of them are just the standard 30 target 3d course, but our shoot in March has vendors and dealers from bow companies, game call companies, prize target shoots, half pot targets, and lots of other stuff. During the winter we have an indoor league that had 30 shooters in it.

Top Bottom