• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    There is a "long range" shoot, near Brookston In.

In April, they have kind of open house, and you can go and take a 4 hour class,

and then go shoot .....

I have been once, and want to go back .....

You get a Certificate, that lets you purchase

firearms from CMP .....

Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    Highpower Prone matches at Wildcat allow pretty much anything. I saw tricked out AR platform guns next to precision muzzleloaders at the one I attended. They run them out to 300 yards.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Are there any longer range matches around the state? Everything in here looks to be pistol.

Nah, you just have to know where to look, and some good advice has been given here. Let me fill it out a little...

From Lapel,
    --you can drive Northeast to Fort Wayne and shoot 300 yards up there,
    --head down 9 to Shelbyville and across to Camp Atterbury (cihprs.org) to shoot up to 2,700 yards (NOT the Johnson County range...) on the military base with electronic targets out to 1,000 yards,
    --head west/northwest--probably through Frankfort?--to Wildcat in Brookston (wvrpc.org) for 300 yards and excellent pits with a crew very willing to teach and help,
    --and you are within decent driving distance of Southern Indiana Rifle & Pistol (600 yard), Camp Perry, Ohio (1,000 yard), and Miami Rifle & Pistol down at Cincinnati, which is one of the nicest 600 yard sheltered ranges you've ever seen if you need help on just shooting loads without so much wind. They also cook lunch on match days...;)

For the most comprehensive list/map of the entire midwest, look to the following webpage, and thank your lucky stars for someone as kind and giving of his time as Konrad Powers of Illinois Highpower. Just don't shoot against him.

10-State Schedule

There is a "long range" shoot, near Brookston In.

In April, they have kind of open house, and you can go and take a 4 hour class,

and then go shoot .....

I have been once, and want to go back .....

You get a Certificate, that lets you purchase

firearms from CMP .....

Very true. It's called the Beginner's Clinic, and I teach almost every year. You also get instruction from some of the best-of-the-best in your State as far as being able to ACTUALLY drive a rifle. No kidding, these guys do alright at the Nationals. It's like Appleseed or Revere on equine steroids.

If you've been once, and you want to go back...man, you are in trouble. :cool:

Highpower Prone matches at Wildcat allow pretty much anything. I saw tricked out AR platform guns next to precision muzzleloaders at the one I attended. They run them out to 300 yards.

Well actually, as long as it is a safe centerfire, and YOU are safe shooting it, Wildcat will allow just about anything in just about any match except the larger magnums; I'd guess their insurance may not be good for the .400 and .500 caliber magnums.

That's not the same as saying every rifle will be fun, or competitive.

But anyhow, good on you for looking for something to make you better with your 6.5 Creed. Nothing like getting out there and shooting more to find out how to do it better, and as far as help if you need it, you are lucky enough to be in a great state for fellow shooters that both know, and are willing to help.

If you have questions you think I might have an answer to, feel free to shoot me a PM.

-Nate

Top Bottom