• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    WOW. The drive is shorter for us but I'm not sure Camp Atterbury is better prepared in terms of parking or housing. I wonder what was behind the decision? The ranges themselves are equally adequate.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Does that mean we get the CMP store aswell??

For the sanctity of my bank account, God I hope not.

my inlaws live between Columbus and Taylorsville, so I am there all the time. I dont need the temptation. "Hey honey, I'll be back in a bit, I need to run an errand." "Oh, do you need to run to the outlet mall?" "ummmmmmm. Sure. Thats it."

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ok I've never been to the matches, but this may change that! so if you're not shooting, is there anything to do?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Having shot at Perry, I'll admit I have mixed emotions on this. Camp Perry certainly has all the mystique one would expect from the "hallowed grounds" so to speak. But I'm so excited about it being in our back yard. The long drive and over night stays have made it impractical for me to shoot the last few years.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ok I've never been to the matches, but this may change that! so if you're not shooting, is there anything to do?

Even if you're not competing, they still have the Small Arms Firing Schools, which are kinda neat if you've never done it. They also have indoor airgun matches open to to the public, and their pistol "combat course" during the pistol phase, which are things anybody can do (since pistol is apparently staying in Perry, this last wouldn't apply).

Great for Indiana, but for the shooters, IMO it will be a minus. Can't take a dip in Lake Erie at the public beach after shooting. Another piece of history down the drain. And, the NRA is giving scant information about the decision, of course. So I'm guessing it's probably something political.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have many fond memories from Camp Perry and hate to see the tradition stop. OTOH, the shooting sports are mostly about the people and people are what really made the sport so great for me. The place will be different, but the people will stay the same. This is a big coup for Indiana.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Even if you're not competing, they still have the Small Arms Firing Schools, which are kinda neat if you've never done it. They also have indoor airgun matches open to to the public, and their pistol "combat course" during the pistol phase, which are things anybody can do (since pistol is apparently staying in Perry, this last wouldn't apply).

Great for Indiana, but for the shooters, IMO it will be a minus. Can't take a dip in Lake Erie at the public beach after shooting. Another piece of history down the drain. And, the NRA is giving scant information about the decision, of course. So I'm guessing it's probably something political.

Two things that come to mind, and I'm 100% spitballing here...no facts behind it.

1) They may have some environmental pressure as several of the ranges have a "Splash down" zone into the lake. Maybe some pressure from the locals to reduce the amount of lead in the water, and also perhaps improve safety. There is an enforced no-boat zone and every year they have to stop courses of fire because boats and jet skis somehow find their way in.

2) Part of the base is still active as a National Guard training base, so perhaps they are changing its mission to increase the use of the base for that need and hosting the matches may get in the way of that. Perhaps Atterbury's training schedule is going to be slowing down.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Camp Perry land is like any lakefront land...worth truckloads of money. The EPA is...., politics is..........etc. There has been talk about selling that land since at least the early 1990's

Since the National Championships have been there since 1903, the history is there for many who have been around a while. I still have the 1969 issue of American Rifleman magazine where Ted Fasy had just won the National Championships. They photographed him in front of the Rail car monument with his .30 caliber bolt action Winchester. There is a similar photo of yours truly taken years later. I am holding my 30 caliber Winchester bolt action in the same way at the monument, but I had only taken 3rd Expert, not quite up to the level of being in the NRA magazine. Even at that G. David Tubb, who was top dog that year (and many other times) made a point to personally congratulate me, as well as the man I beat out of the medal by only two points out of 2400. Great display of class and Sportsmanship

It is a lot like when we lost Vandalia, Ohio, which had also hosted the American Trap Association "Grand American" Championship for 100 plus years. The place meant a lot to those of us that tested ourselves against the best of the best at that facility. They moved it to Sparta, Illinois.

Both Championships have a lot of great memories for me, and the new place just does not feel right for the older shooters, including me. I check the scores, the next generation of shooters seem to be doing a great job at the new place. They are setting their names in the history books, and recording some great scores. They are building their own memories, their own names and testing themselves against today's best.

Wherever the National Rifle Championships end up, I have only the best wishes for that next group of competitors and hope they have every opportunity to make a name for themselves at the top of the stack. Maybe they will not mind the old timers shooting next to them. I will not even get offended if they make fun of my old school rifles and gear.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Fraught with peril.

I have been looking for a reason to use my favorite phrase for years. Thanks for the opportunity.

It will be either good or bad. We will see.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    funny how this thread pops up here and yesterday I got an email from CMP about their national matches and how they will still be at Camp Perry

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    funny how this thread pops up here and yesterday I got an email from CMP about their national matches and how they will still be at Camp Perry
    The CMP matches will be at Perry, as well as, the NRA pistol championships. The NRA highpower matches will not.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Two things that come to mind, and I'm 100% spitballing here...no facts behind it.

1) They may have some environmental pressure as several of the ranges have a "Splash down" zone into the lake. Maybe some pressure from the locals to reduce the amount of lead in the water, and also perhaps improve safety. There is an enforced no-boat zone and every year they have to stop courses of fire because boats and jet skis somehow find their way in.

2) Part of the base is still active as a National Guard training base, so perhaps they are changing its mission to increase the use of the base for that need and hosting the matches may get in the way of that. Perhaps Atterbury's training schedule is going to be slowing down.
    (1)They stop the shooting of pistol matches when boat enters the danger zone. I don't think the locals want the matches moved. It is a great source of revenue for local businesses. I doubt that many stray rounds end up in the lake. (2) The Ohio National Guard has been using Camp Perry for decades. I doubt that any new developments would cause the training to be any more interrupted as in the past. They also get revenue from the NRA and CMP for improvements, etc.

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Its definitely a huge source of revenue for the locals as you have to book a hotel room months or a year in advance and pay sodomy price for average at best accommodations. Ive never shot at Perry but have been there several times to visit friends and watch them shoot. It will probably make all the international shooters happy as many of them had to fly into Chicago anyways and it cuts their airport drive in half, or less if Indy is an option for them. If this is real, Ill be there to watch.

Top Bottom