• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jelzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    New Albany
    I'm not sure if this is where this thread needs to be or not, but I would like to find someone (or a company) in Indiana that would have info on what Indoor Gun Ranges use for bullet traps. Of course I've googled this and have found various items, but I think i have a little different range than a commercial use range.

I'm building a personal use, 1 lane, indoor 'test fire' range under the wrap around porch of our new house we are building:
    Currently, 8' wide x 50' long 9"-10" thk concrete walls and ceiling. These will be skinned in AR steel to protect the concrete, but I also want to put some Kevlar up in front so if there is an idot in the range that actually hits a wall, hopefully the Kevlar would help to reduce the chance of any ricochet.
    Air supply/return ran on one 50' side. Supply is above where the shooter will stand, with return at the end where the bullet trap will be.
    2 exterior vents on the opposite 50' side. First vent is right at the end of the muzzle where the shooter stands and other vent is beside where the bullet trap will be.

Looking to have this complete by 2018 but with young kids and a demanding career, we'll see when it actually gets done!

Any thoughts, tips or leads on the bullet catch/trap will be much appreciated!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Tire chips. Lots of tire chips. And/or sand. Lots of sand. Perhaps a good mix of tire chips and sand.

ETA - also, I'm insanely jealous! Just be sure that you're not running afoul of any county/muni codes by doing what you're doing. I'm going to presume that you're out in the county and not within any city/town limits?

jelzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    New Albany
    I've heard tire chips from other sources as well. maybe just a big ol pile with an AR plate behind it? I guess I forgot to mention 9' ceilings - so that brings up my concern on how big the pile will be and how it will move toward the shooter from the wall. maybe I can get a sort of netting to hold in place and just replace it every year or so...?? Its not like I plan on holding any events or major target practices. Just some plinking every now and then.

We are in the county. As far as what's on record, the house plans just show a 'safe room'. All of the ducting was for 'air flow' purposes during inspections.

Maybe I forgot to mention, it's spray foamed where any concrete meets outside air, and about 24" below grade - this keeps any condensation from forming.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Kevlar lining for ricochet is overkill, any thicker nylon or polyester fabric in multiple layers will work at a fraction of the price. As for bullet traps, 6 to 10 inches of sand will stop any pistol bullet and most rifle bullets. I have a box style bullet trap of sand 4 feet wide by 4 feet tall that I piled up sand in the back that stops all the bullets on my outdoor range. The sand slopes from the back to the front. In the middle of the pile where most bullets hit they rarely go more than three or 4 inches in. Periodically I pile the sand back up because it flies everywhere as I shoot but I can shoot all day long and not have to do that. The bonus is that the bullets are barely deformed at all so there's very little loose powdered lead like you get hitting a steel backstop. Since I cast bullets that is a very big plus for me. I use a kitty litter scoop to get the bullets out.

jelzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    New Albany
    Thanks! I would have never guess just 6 - 10 inches of sand. I guess I'm used to Safety Factors and overkill all the time that I just would have guessed that to be insufficient. Maybe some playground type sand that isn't so dusty will work.

I'll look into the nylon or poly - thanks for the suggestion!

Top Bottom