• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    So I shot my Smith and Wesson 686 SSR at my first IDPA match. It was mostly a success! I didn't get DQed for safety and I mostly got shots on target. My reloads were terrible (switching to Comp III from the HKSs and its so much easier!).

To my question:
    The double action felt fine for the most part but a bit heavy. I short stroked it a couple of times which really threw me off. Should I get a trigger job to lighten the pull and shorten the reset? Thoughts?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    "Trigger Job" will not help with the short stroking. But it will smooth out the double action pull. You have a couple of options.

1) get some snap caps and dry fire the snot out of the gun.
    2) contact BossHoss on these boards. He does revolver remarkable revolver work.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I shoot IDPA about 95% of the time with a revolver, S&W625JM model with a stock trigger. One question, how much do you shoot a revolver in double action? If not a lot then the above suggestion to get some snap caps and dry fire would be my first suggestion. This would help smooth out the action and get you used to the trigger pull. Jim.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    One thing you can do to lighten the pull is bend the mainspring... it is easy to do and you don't even need to take the side plate off if you are careful. Check out YouTube. There are videos showing how to do this.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not to drift, but how many speedloaders do you use when you shoot IDPA with your revolver? And what are you using for a holster?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Not to drift, but how many speedloaders do you use when you shoot IDPA with your revolver? And what are you using for a holster?

Not the original poster but four would be the maximum you would ever need shooting IDPA. You can only carry three reloads with you during a course of fire. Normally you load off the clock so would not need a speedloader at "load and make ready." Just to clarify, at times a COF may require the initial load to be made on the clock so you could need the fourth. Jim.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Not sure, but I'm guessing that is the holster you use? I found something online along with the V8 powered motorcycles. It looks like a good one, but for this particular gun, I'm looking for a leather one. If I shoot it in a match of some kind, it will be for fun. Unless I get hooked on it.:)

O4FXSTS thanks for the response. I have four in my Amazon cart!

Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    BossHoss would be the gunsmith, you can PM him on this forum and he'll get you squared away if you are looking for revolver work. I will second what others have said as well. For speedloaders you'll want four of the Comp IIIs, don't bother with Comp IIs or HKS loaders if you want to reload quickly. Short stroking will not be solved by a trigger job, especially if you want a lighter trigger pull. It just means you didn't let the trigger fully reset before pulling it back again. As you decrease the power of the rebound (trigger) spring it can actually make it easier to short stroke so keep that in mind. My advice is to have a revolver smith work over your action and then practice the DA pull a lot. Make sure you let them know if you will be handloading (and with what primers) or buying factory ammo because that will determine how light the hammer and rebound springs can be.

As for holsters, that's a personal preference. I use a leather pancake from Simply Rugged since it will fit all of my shorter barreled revolvers. If you like kydex and plan to stick with the same type of gun check these out: https://www.speedbeez.com/product-c...s-smith-wesson-617-686-4-inch-k-and-l-frames/

If you need something to carry your speedloaders these are the most popular: 4wheelguns.com - NM - IDPA Compliant Speed Loader Holder and https://www.speedbeez.com/product/s...8357-ruger-gp100-38357-22-magnum-sw-model-69/
    You can also make them yourself out of kydex sheet with some patience and a heat gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    BossHoss would be the gunsmith, you can PM him on this forum and he'll get you squared away if you are looking for revolver work. I will second what others have said as well. For speedloaders you'll want four of the Comp IIIs, don't bother with Comp IIs or HKS loaders if you want to reload quickly. Short stroking will not be solved by a trigger job, especially if you want a lighter trigger pull. It just means you didn't let the trigger fully reset before pulling it back again. As you decrease the power of the rebound (trigger) spring it can actually make it easier to short stroke so keep that in mind. My advice is to have a revolver smith work over your action and then practice the DA pull a lot. Make sure you let them know if you will be handloading (and with what primers) or buying factory ammo because that will determine how light the hammer and rebound springs can be.

As for holsters, that's a personal preference. I use a leather pancake from Simply Rugged since it will fit all of my shorter barreled revolvers. If you like kydex and plan to stick with the same type of gun check these out: https://www.speedbeez.com/product-c...s-smith-wesson-617-686-4-inch-k-and-l-frames/

If you need something to carry your speedloaders these are the most popular: 4wheelguns.com - NM - IDPA Compliant Speed Loader Holder and https://www.speedbeez.com/product/s...8357-ruger-gp100-38357-22-magnum-sw-model-69/
    You can also make them yourself out of kydex sheet with some patience and a heat gun.

Thanks for the clarification. I think another poster was considering work. I do my own action work so I'm good on that front. I do like the Simply Rugged and am also looking at a few others.(Lobo, Tucker, Kramer and Sparks)

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville

So my whole setup is:

S&W 686 SSR (no mods) / Ready Tactical holster / North Mountain Speedloader Holders (3 on belt) / Safariland Comp III Speedloaders (3 on belt 1 in pocket for readying) / 1.5" hanks gunner belt (Its all I use in real life and so like to use it for IDPA).

Also thanks everyone for the replies!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    The speedloader holders are arranged two in front of the holster and one behind the holster on strong side or two in front of the holster and one behind the hip on the weak side. The placement of the third SLH would depend on if you do a strong hand or weak hand reload. Have fun, stay safe and maybe I will see you shooting somewhere. Jim.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You guys helped both TRW and myself out. Thanks! I have a holster ready to order, my 586 is at S&W getting the "M" mod done. I have speedloaders in my Amazon cart for my next order and I'll find some of the holders.

Then hopefully it won't just all sit in the safe, lol.

Top Bottom