Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

Trigger job for S&W 686 SSR in IDPA?

So I shot my Smith and Wesson 686 SSR at my first IDPA match. It was mostly a success! I didn't get DQed for safety and I mostly got shots on target. My reloads were terrible (switching to Comp III from the HKSs and its so much easier!).

To my question:
    The double action felt fine for the most part but a bit heavy. I short stroked it a couple of times which really threw me off. Should I get a trigger job to lighten the pull and shorten the reset? Thoughts?

"Trigger Job" will not help with the short stroking. But it will smooth out the double action pull. You have a couple of options.

1) get some snap caps and dry fire the snot out of the gun.
    2) contact BossHoss on these boards. He does revolver remarkable revolver work.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

+1 for Bosshoss

Marksman
    I shoot IDPA about 95% of the time with a revolver, S&W625JM model with a stock trigger. One question, how much do you shoot a revolver in double action? If not a lot then the above suggestion to get some snap caps and dry fire would be my first suggestion. This would help smooth out the action and get you used to the trigger pull. Jim.

One thing you can do to lighten the pull is bend the mainspring... it is easy to do and you don't even need to take the side plate off if you are careful. Check out YouTube. There are videos showing how to do this.

Not to drift, but how many speedloaders do you use when you shoot IDPA with your revolver? And what are you using for a holster?
    If an undertaking was easy, someone else would have already done it.

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    Not to drift, but how many speedloaders do you use when you shoot IDPA with your revolver? And what are you using for a holster?
    Not the original poster but four would be the maximum you would ever need shooting IDPA. You can only carry three reloads with you during a course of fire. Normally you load off the clock so would not need a speedloader at "load and make ready." Just to clarify, at times a COF may require the initial load to be made on the clock so you could need the fourth. Jim.

Bosshoss

Quote Originally Posted by amp7876 View Post
    Bosshoss
    Not sure, but I'm guessing that is the holster you use? I found something online along with the V8 powered motorcycles. It looks like a good one, but for this particular gun, I'm looking for a leather one. If I shoot it in a match of some kind, it will be for fun. Unless I get hooked on it.

O4FXSTS thanks for the response. I have four in my Amazon cart!
    If an undertaking was easy, someone else would have already done it.

BossHoss would be the gunsmith, you can PM him on this forum and he'll get you squared away if you are looking for revolver work. I will second what others have said as well. For speedloaders you'll want four of the Comp IIIs, don't bother with Comp IIs or HKS loaders if you want to reload quickly. Short stroking will not be solved by a trigger job, especially if you want a lighter trigger pull. It just means you didn't let the trigger fully reset before pulling it back again. As you decrease the power of the rebound (trigger) spring it can actually make it easier to short stroke so keep that in mind. My advice is to have a revolver smith work over your action and then practice the DA pull a lot. Make sure you let them know if you will be handloading (and with what primers) or buying factory ammo because that will determine how light the hammer and rebound springs can be.

As for holsters, that's a personal preference. I use a leather pancake from Simply Rugged since it will fit all of my shorter barreled revolvers. If you like kydex and plan to stick with the same type of gun check these out: https://www.speedbeez.com/product-ca...-and-l-frames/

If you need something to carry your speedloaders these are the most popular: 4wheelguns.com - NM - IDPA Compliant Speed Loader Holder and https://www.speedbeez.com/product/sp...m-sw-model-69/
    You can also make them yourself out of kydex sheet with some patience and a heat gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast