• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    I know that Sig P226 Legion gets some use in IDPA (I think). But I was wondering about P229? Would the P229 Legion be SSP or CCP? It seems like it's big enough to count as SSP.

I ask because I'd like to compete in SSP but I don't have a firearm currently that would fit the bill. My two 9mms are Kimber Micro 9 and a Sig P320 RX. The optic on the P320 wont work for IDPA (and don't feel like removing it every month) and the Kimber Micro 9 would put me in BUG. That being said, I love SIGs and would love to buy another one to both carry and compete in SSP.

Thoughts? And thanks!

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    If the 320's optic is mounted on the side you could run it in carry optic division. I would try and shoot something you have first rather than get a bunch of stufff that may or may not work. Heck you could also shoot and tell the range master your shooting not for competition.

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    The p229 is definitely ssp legal. I don't think the legion has any modifications that would change that, but I guess an email to IDPA would clear it up for sure.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    If the 320's optic is mounted on the side you could run it in carry optic division. I would try and shoot something you have first rather than get a bunch of stufff that may or may not work. Heck you could also shoot and tell the range master your shooting not for competition.

Carry optics is USPSA from what I understand not IDPA. I have been shooting something I have. I competed in a local IDPA match last month with my S&W 686 SSR. I am just looking to branch out into SSP, which would require a new gun in the IDPA context since I do not have any stock service pistols without externals that disqualify it (like an optic).

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    The p229 is definitely ssp legal. I don't think the legion has any modifications that would change that, but I guess an email to IDPA would clear it up for sure.

Good to know! I think I will shoot an email to make sure. I'm still not settled on that gun. Right now my list is short: CZ P10c or Sig P229 Legion. The new CZ trigger looks amazing and the price point looks like its going to be good. That and its compatible with Glock 19 gear which is a huge plus.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    Carry optics is USPSA from what I understand not IDPA. I have been shooting something I have. I competed in a local IDPA match last month with my S&W 686 SSR. I am just looking to branch out into SSP, which would require a new gun in the IDPA context since I do not have any stock service pistols without externals that disqualify it (like an optic).

You are correct. I thought I heard chatter on Triangle Tactical IDPA had carry optics this year as a provisional division but when I looked at the rule book I didn't see it listed. I must have been thinking USPSA.

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    Good to know! I think I will shoot an email to make sure. I'm still not settled on that gun. Right now my list is short: CZ P10c or Sig P229 Legion. The new CZ trigger looks amazing and the price point looks like its going to be good. That and its compatible with Glock 19 gear which is a huge plus.

if you're still in the market don't cheat yourself by ignoring the CZ SP01 Shadow. They're very reliable guns in the same price point as the legion and with a little polishing, changing a few springs, and maybe a new firing pin they can be made to have the absolute best trigger you can get on a DA/SA gun.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    You are correct. I thought I heard chatter on Triangle Tactical IDPA had carry optics this year as a provisional division but when I looked at the rule book I didn't see it listed. I must have been thinking USPSA.

I can't imagine IDPA going on forever without a carry optics division. I talked to some folks last time at the match about carrying the P320 with the romeo1, and I heard people say: "that's stupid you'll get lint on the optic when carrying." I carry the P320 RX on regular basis, and unless you have a weird laundry issue that has you coated in lint from head to toe, that's not going to be an issue. And even then it probably wouldn't be! I actually tested the optic clarity for a few weeks. Basically I did not clean it at all for a few weeks - not even a quick cotton t-shirt wipe down. I shot it on three occasions or so with a few hundred rounds each time. I carried it IWB and OWB and brought with me everywhere. At the end of the "test" I had a spotty lens (mostly residue from shooting), but it couldn't come close to obscuring the red dot. In real life, you will check and wipe down the optic every day or two without much thought to it. But the skeptics out there just need to try it out. The other thought is that it adds to much bulk. The truth is, the sights like romeo1 are truly "mini." As long as your holster is cut for it you wont have issues, and it certainly wont feel much different. And of course the added weight is so minuscule as to be undetectable. The kind of sight acquisition allowed by the red dot, as well as the co-witnessing silencer height night sights that come with the 320RX platform make it perfect for rapid shooting and moving from target to target. Frankly I think it should be standard issue. I know the army adopted the 320, but some more testing should be done as to whether or not the RX should come standard. Companies like Springfield are moving toward milled slides coming factory. And with Sig offering out of the box, factory, pre-zeroed optics on an affordable gun, it's just going to be more and more popular. Hopefully the numbers of P320RXs that get sold will press a rule change in 2018.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom