• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhart

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    greenwood
    I need directions on how to get to range 3. I am familiar with the area as I fly rc Helicopters at the rc club next to atterbury. But I have never actually been on base and cant seem to find it on a map. Can someone tell me where to go say from the main gate.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Once you pass security head straight South to range control. It's a building on the left a few minute drive at 20 mph. There's a map on the wall to the left near the conference room door. You'll probably need a down range car pass so ask the on duty staff in the office to the right.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    https://secure.in.gov/dva/files/Atterbury_Contoment_Map_27JUN2012-5.pdf

On the map above, you will notice that Range Control is Building 127 at the far SE corner of the paper. Not included on the map is a County Road IMMEDIATELY South of Range Control. This is CR 900 South. Basically, anywhere South of 900, you can be driving across active ranges, so don't go traipsing around, and do NOT go around a barrier or gate.

Depending on what ranges are active, you may have to continue straight south past Range Control on "Eggleston" all the way down to the "T" at the KD Ranges. If so, at the "T", you will be looking at the lateral berm between KD-5 and KD-6. Turn left (East), and proceed across Range 5, then Range 4...you cannot be infront of rifles on THESE two ranges, as you are driving at 590 yards, and all firing occurs at 500 or under. When you reach the lateral berm at the East side of KD-4, you'll note that it extends on both sides of the road, and you are to drive through the gap in the hill...IF the gate is open. If the gate is not open, obviously you are late and you don't want to walk or drive onto KD-3 immediately east of that gate.

Now, if something is indeed going on downrange that Range Control tells us impedes our progress, then they may have you Stop at 900 South, and then turn left (East) to go AROUND "the long way" to come into the KD ranges from the East. It makes a big loop on gravel tank track. After a mile or so east, you'll curve back south onto what was CR 500 West. You will continue south on that 60-foot wide gravel road until your first MAJOR intersection (a "T" in from your right)...at the urban training center thing; if you cross Ninevah creek, you went about a mile too far south on 500. Anyhow, at that intersection, bear right and you are now on the same road I mentioned above that the KD ranges lie along. Proceed west ~1/2 mile to KD-3. Your targets will be on the left, and KD-3 is the first range you will encounter. Again...possibly gated from the east because firing on KD-3 can be from as far as ~1,400 yards BEHIND the road.

--Look for RED range flags flying over ranges to indicate they are in "hot" status. Don't proceed onto those ranges unless you very much know what you're doing.

--DRIVE the speed limit posted. Not +/-...not almost....THE speed limit.

--The speed limit around walking troops is ALWAYS 5 mph.

--The base has not been issuing passes for a year or two, but that is wont to change without notice.

--In Range Control, if you need something just ask, and cite whom you are shooting with. CIHPRS is known as "Chippers", and I'd like to think we have earned a little respect around there in the last 30? years. We conduct ourselves respectfully and professionally.

-Nate

jhart

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    greenwood
    As always thanks for the Good Info Nate. I am gonna shoot Sun but will try and drive over there Sat to make sure I know where I am going.

Top Bottom