• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Riley Conservation Club will be hosting a long range .22 rimfire silhouette (critter targets) event on Sunday April 30. I shot a high power event like this while on vacation and had a blast. We're down sizing it to rimfire to fit our range.

The purpose of this shoot is to simulate what might be encountered during a varmint hunt, with targets of various shapes/sizes and various distances within a specified time frame. This is an accuracy oriented event with a reasonable time element.

Format: 22 Long Rifle only, no 22 Mag or 17 caliber anything. Targets are sized and distanced in such a way that a 22 rimfire capable of 2 MOA can be competitive, so almost any Ruger, Remington, CZ etc is capable. One shot at each of 5 different targets at 3 different distances with 2:30 minutes. Total round count is 40, if time allows we can bump it to 60.

Knockdown targets will be at 75, 110, and 165 yards. You need a scope that tracks well and can elevate to shoot 165 yards (or use a 20 minute base, or shims, etc). Scoring is simple, target falls is a hit, all else are misses.

Shooting position is prone with bipod or clothing filled backpack. No sandbags, slings, or rear support other than the shooters hand/arm. No heavy glove or other accessory aid. Physically challenged shooters who are unable to shoot prone may shoot from a seated bench.

Shooters will be squaded. When not firing, shooters will be expected to spot/score for other shooters in their squad. This helps encourage single shooters to participate. We can accommodate 5 squads at one time.

A 20 minute sight in period will be allowed prior to shooting for score. This allows a quick check of scope zero at each distance.

The desire is to put semi-autos, bolt guns, and single shots on an equal playing field within the 2:30 minute time frame. As such, all rifles will be loaded/fired as single shots.

$15 entry fee, Lewis class payback (payback schedule will be posted day of match). The Lewis payback allows lesser skilled shooters to share some of the pot.

10:15 am Registration closes, shooter meeting, rules, announcements
    10:30 am Sighting in period
    10:50 am Reset & paint targets
    11:00 am Shoot for score

This is a new to us event. We have a format for the first match, but are open for ideas for future events. Looking for good participation to fill an empty niche in Indiana shooting sports events, and hope you will join us. This is not a cut-throat competition.

Questions are welcome!!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Regarding shooting semi-auto as a single shot....

Method #1 is to have 5 mags with only one round each. Insert mag, chamber & fire, drop mag, repeat 4 more times.
    Method #2 is to have 5 rounds in a mag. Insert mag, chamber, drop mag out, fire, repeat 4 more times.

It's the only way (I'm open to suggestions) to prevent a true single shot from being horribly disadvantaged. Five shots in 2 1/2 minutes is pretty easy, but now you have to reposition rifle 2x, change scope setting 2x, load as single shot 5x. NOW it's a challenge!!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Excellent OP glad you took the ball and ran with it. Now which rifle to shoot?

I assume you will want all .22 Ammunition to be of LESS than Stinger speeds?

Are you using the standard 1/5th Cast silhouettes?

Are shooters allowed to register and shoot in multiple divisions? IE: Single, Bolt, and Auto?

Sounds awesome!!

-Nate

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    What is a "true single shot" for this type of shooting? I participated in a rimfire silhouette match at Riley a couple years ago and it was enjoyable (just a bit of a hike for me), but it was a "normal" match and I'm puzzled at what kind of gun is being referenced. Everybody I saw was loading up magazines and shooting them (I think)? I'd be tempted to give this a shot, but it sounds like the mag gun people would be put to a fair amount of trouble to level the field for a type of gun that few if any would be expected to bring? Just my $0.02, for what it's worth :):.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Great questions, thanks to all!

Not too concerned about Stinger speeds. CCI website says they have dropped to under 1200 fps at 75 yards, our closest target. Targets are 1/4" steel instead of cast, but yes, they are 1/5 scale silhouttes thru 110 yards. at 165, targets are 3/8 scale. For other readers, that means at 75 are 1.5", at 110 targets are roughly the size of a 2x4 end, at 165 they are about 4.5 inches to 5x8"

All guns actions are lumped together. That's why everyone loads as a single shot as an equalizer.

We have rugs, but you are welcome to bring your own mat.

5 shots in 2.5 minutes, then repeat. After 10 shots, rotate shooters with the next one in your squad. We can run 5 squads at one time, all on the same range. 40 rounds total. While rotating out, you'll be spotting, scoring, or prepping for you next round. A small notebook and pen can be handy as you gain info throughout the day.

Twangbanger- I remember you, you shot awesome!! we were definitely not up to your ability. I had advertised that match on INGO but was caught off guard that anyone showed up, I confess we made a poor impression. Hope to see you sometime at Danville CC. or here if you'll give us another chance. The single shot guns I was referencing were Kimber 82, or a TC Contender if anyone came with it or even an Anschutz. Even without it, I would like to keep the "Load as a Single Shot" for this first match. After that, we can reduce the time limit to 2 minutes if everyone agrees that autos and bolts are still even. Right now, it adds an equal amount of busy work to both styles. Looking for constructive feedback after this first match and can tweak from there. Impossible to make everyone happy, I've offered rifle silhouette here for 3 years and not one club member shot. Most will look at the targets and say "Oh hell no!"

Again, thanks for the questions and interest!!

BTW- $15 entry, $5 of it goes into Lewis payback pot. Juniors are $5 with paid adult entry. Father/child or husband/wife is good, shooters sharing the same rifle is ok.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    blacknwhite--correct, there are no classes based on action type. At the end of the match we'll sort out winners based on score and Lewis class. For example, if there are 4 shooters the winner takes all. 6 shooters we'll split the pot between 1st and 4th. 12 shooters and we'll split the pot between 1st, 5th, and 9th. Or some variation of that schedule. Without an established group of shooters with known abilities, it's a pretty fair way to keep the lesser skilled shooters interested.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Taking a page from other events, may consider increasing or decreasing the time allowed. Semi-autos 2 min, bolt and lever actions 2.5 min and single shot 3 min. Looking forward to it.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Sounds like a good time!!!
    Always thought it would be fun to get into some.of the longer .22 matches similar to some of the stuff that long range shooters of Utah put on.
    Time to gather dope on the .22 out to 165 lol

Top Bottom