• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    I'll be partaking in my first ever competition match next Monday!
    It is a local indoor match.
    It is specifically for "newbs," and is basically to get a taste of what a match will be like, and give us an opportunity to ask questions as we go.
    I have my equipment ready to go.
    I asked the range that puts on the match and they said I would be fine with just 3 mags for this match, but would want atleast 5 in future "non-newb" matches.
    I have a decent belt, double mag holder, Blade Tech Revolution holster, Glock 34 (actually picking it up today.)
    I have eyes and ears, and comfortable (not too baggy) clothing.

Anyone have any tips for a first time competition shooter? About the gear or match in general?

Thanks!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    be safe.
    have fun.
    shoot/move at your own pace; don't try to keep up with the best shooters or worry about being the best shooter.

I always tell the newbs not to worry about performance... no one will remember how well you shot your first match... they WILL remember if you're an a** or un-safe.

be willing to help paste targets / reset the stage after every shooter.

Being a newb match, I'm sure Coach will tell you everything you need to know.

sounds like you have the critical items. comfy shoes and hydration are important, too.

-rvb

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    ^^^^ that. Also, make it a goal to get all your hits. A lot of times I think newer shooters see speed from more advanced shooters and think the sport is about going fast. It's really about scoring points (as fast as possible). Once you're able to connect with all your shots, picking up the pace is the next step.

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    I am pretty self aware, and know that I'm not going in there to be competitive yet...more or less to learn the sport.

I do have comfy footwear, and hydration source :)

I was told by someone that I may want to shoot Limited so I can load mags full and not have to worry about reloading every 10 rounds.
    Is this a good idea? I understand most Limited Guns are fairly customized...will I be ticking anyone off by shooting my gun (basically a production) in the Limited class?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I was told by someone that I may want to shoot Limited so I can load mags full and not have to worry about reloading every 10 rounds.
    Is this a good idea? I understand most Limited Guns are fairly customized...will I be ticking anyone off by shooting my gun (basically a production) in the Limited class?

if you have 3 mags, whether you shoot Lim or Prod might come down to how big the courses are. 3x10+1 leaves you 1 shy for a 32 round course, so you'd have to shoot limited in that case. won't matter for more medium-sized courses. Other than that, it's a matter of what sounds fun to you! 9mm is more competitive in Production where .40 is more competitive in Limited, but I wouldn't worry about that at first. My limited gun (G35) is production legal other than extended basepads on the mags. nothing wrong with that. Just because you are allowed to do crazy mods doesn't mean you have to; it won't tick anyone off for sure.

-rvb

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    ^^^^ that. Also, make it a goal to get all your hits. A lot of times I think newer shooters see speed from more advanced shooters and think the sport is about going fast. It's really about scoring points (as fast as possible). Once you're able to connect with all your shots, picking up the pace is the next step.

Drew and RVB pretty much nail the advice. Be Safe, Ask questions, and have fun

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Loc-tite your Glock front sight in place. There is no good time for that screw to come loose. (If you find my front sight on the floor at Parabellum...please save it for me!).

Sight in your gun.

If shooting reloads, chamber-check every round.

Grip the gun hard with your weak hand.

Aim a little high. Study the scoring zones of the kind of targets they use, before shooting them. If they're metrics, aiming true center of mass will cost you points.

If the stage calls for reloading while moving sideways toward your weak side...watch your muzzle.

Count the targets in each area of the stage. Then count them again.

Recommend loading to full cap and shooting Limited your first couple times.

Have fun. Ask questions! Rinse, lather, repeat.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Loc-tite your Glock front sight in place. There is no good time for that screw to come loose. (If you find my front sight on the floor at Parabellum...please save it for me!).

Sight in your gun.

If shooting reloads, chamber-check every round.

Grip the gun hard with your weak hand.

Aim a little high. Study the scoring zones of the kind of targets they use, before shooting them. If they're metrics, aiming true center of mass will cost you points.

If the stage calls for reloading while moving sideways toward your weak side...watch your muzzle.

Count the targets in each area of the stage. Then count them again.

Recommend loading to full cap and shooting Limited your first couple times.

Have fun. Ask questions! Rinse, lather, repeat.

Curious why you would do this? It would seem to take a long time to get through a cof checking every round. Is this to purposely slow you down? Is it a lack of confidence in the round?

Or do you mean check the first round when you insert a mag and close the slide?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Curious why you would do this? It would seem to take a long time to get through a cof checking every round. Is this to purposely slow you down? Is it a lack of confidence in the round?

Or do you mean check the first round when you insert a mag and close the slide?
    You mean you don't meditate over every round, after it enters the chamber, but before shooting it? :dunno:

But seriously...I think you thought I wrote, "Press-Check." Chamber checking refers to disassembling the gun and popping each round in the chamber. Sorry that wasn't clear!

But yes...some of the better shooters (like Drew) could indeed probably press-check every round, in the time it takes me to complete some stages :):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You mean you don't meditate over every round, after it enters the chamber, but before shooting it? :dunno:

But seriously...I think you thought I wrote, "Press-Check." Chamber checking refers to disassembling the gun and popping each round in the chamber. Sorry that wasn't clear!

But yes...some of the better shooters (like Drew) could indeed probably press-check every round, in the time it takes me to complete some stages :):

Oops! My bad! I guess you can tell I'm a noob!

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Follow the safety rules ( 180, Trigger on for reloads, Muzzle direction and such.) Shoot your A's and ENJOY the match. Beyond this you will just Fog your mind.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Don't get discouraged if your results aren't as good as you imagined they would be. Some of the shooters have been doing this a long time. Some of them even study ways to get better and practice weekly (crazy right?).

Be safe, have fun, pay attention and learn, have fun (worth repeating).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Chamber checking refers to disassembling the gun and popping each round in the chamber. Sorry that wasn't clear!...

Oops! My bad! I guess you can tell I'm a noob!

I case gage every round. Especially with 9mm, I lose at least a couple, if not double that every 100 rounds. I designate those for practice and they mostly work later, still not worth the risk of a gun stoppage.

The same with high primers, it's easy to eliminate the issue by tossing your loads in a MTM box to look across all the case bases for protruding primers and noticeable AOL differences.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I only case gauge for a couple guns that seem to need it, and neither of those are glocks. For the most part, I spot check a half dozen out of every 1k and that's it.

-rvb

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I case gage every round. Especially with 9mm, I lose at least a couple, if not double that every 100 rounds. I designate those for practice and they mostly work later, still not worth the risk of a gun stoppage.

The same with high primers, it's easy to eliminate the issue by tossing your loads in a MTM box to look across all the case bases for protruding primers and noticeable AOL differences.

Me too. I am using a single stage press and don't shoot a lot so being able to load up 300 rounds or so per week keeps me in ammo for the most part.

I charge a tray at a time, dumping out the powder and re-checking weight every 10 rounds and I scan each charged tray with a bright light to check powder level. Check OAL at beginning of each loading session. Gage check every round as mentioned, toss in Rubbermaid container for the range.

I'm not sure what causes the "bulged" cases I see once in awhile in other people's rounds but I don't seem to have that. My nephew and brother load on progressives and most of their round have the bulge. Doesn't affect chambering but looks kinda funny.

Top Bottom