• Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Since I can't update the OP in this

Updated after new scenarios encountered. 4/24/17

As I have found out, certain scenarios have come up where the rule has been subject to different interpretations and different RO's have different opinions about things, including instructors. Here are the list of things I heard from different people and being discussed.

(Please no bashing here as this is a learning thread)

Range equipment failure - 4/24/17 update

I had this encountered last friday during a staff shoot, a no shoot was hit (full diameter hit inside) and struck a popper, I mentioned that it's range equipment failure and a reshoot. I got a confused look as a response.

9.1.5 Impenetrable – The scoring area of USPSA scoring targets and no- shoots is deemed to be impenetrable:

9.1.5.2 If a bullet strikes wholly within the scoring area of a paper target, and continues on to hit a plate or strike down a popper; this will be treated as range equipment failure. The competitor will be required to reshoot the course of fire, after it has been restored

Faulting - During the recent class I attended, if a shooter is standing on the fault line, he is considered outside the shooting area/box per that instructor as he interpreted it, Coach contradicted it during the class that as long as you're not touching the ground outside that line, you're still inside the shooting area/box. And I think majority of us agreed on Coach's argument.

Jumping from inside the shooting area to outside while still firing. - If the shooter is up in the air while shooting the target, even if the shooter is already outside the fault line but hasn't touched the ground yet, he is still considered inside the shooting area. I have heard different interpretations of this too.

Starting position - This is recently clarified Gary Johnson. And this is also the most common misinterpretation IMO as I have seen/heard different RO's interpretation about this. Our start position (chapter 8.2.2) ALWAYS defaults to appendix E3 of the rulebook even if the stage briefing says toes on marks/heels on marks, since the latter is describing the starting location, not position. I've recently seen, (even in level II matches) that this rule isn't enforced. Unless specified from written stage briefing (facing up range, hand on marks/table/above shoulders/relax at sides ect....), it always defaults to appendix E3.

Hammer position for production guns - The hammer down position is only at the start position/Handgun Ready Conditions 8.1. After the start beep, the shooter is legal to pull the hammer back for SA first shot during draw. Heard discussion about this too that it is illegal.

Securing the holster belt
    - Chapter 5.2.3, I've heard people say that you have to have at least 3 belt loops to be legal. It is not the case. The wording specifically says "The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops. The belt may be removed between courses of fire." The key word is "or". As long as your belt is secured that when you draw or pull mags out of the pouches, your belt doesn't move up/down significantly.

Scoring on perforation/borders - Another one I've heard people say that the hole has to break/cross the perf. Per rulebook 9.5.2, the edge of the diameter only has to touch
    the scoring line.

The legality of using a back up gun - per 5.1.7. There's been different talks I've heard about this where you have to have exactly the same gun or platform as the main gun.
    If you're planning of using the back up gun, include that gun in the chrono stage and pass the inspection. Once it passes for the division you're shooting, it doesn't matter what the gun's model/maker is as long as it passes for that division. (e.g. for production, main gun is hammer fired, back up is striker fired).

I posted these as to encouraged discussion on these and other things that are prone to misinterpretation. I hope that this will serve to help us understand the game.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have the Nazi 8.2.2 of facing squarely this way or that way. The stages I do for the state match are going specifically say that is not necessary. The Liberals who put that in there are fun sucking zombies that are afraid someone may be enjoying themselves.

What is the start is marks on the wall and the wall is facing the side berm. Do I have to twist and face squarely down range?

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Actually coach, if hands on marks is on WSB, you can face anywhere, same thing with hands relax at sides, it covers the stance.

In the rule book:

Start position .................... The location (heels/toes on marks, anywhere inside/outside the shooting area, seated on chair etc..) , shooting position and stance (Appendix E3, hands relax at sides, wrist above respective shoulders, hands/fingers on marks/barrels etc..) prescribed by a COF prior to issuance of the “Start signal”

I hear ya about the ever freedom restraining rules but it is what it is for now.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Actually coach, if hands on marks is on WSB, you can face anywhere, same thing with hands relax at sides, it covers the stance.

In the rule book:

Start position .................... The location (heels/toes on marks, anywhere inside/outside the shooting area, seated on chair etc..) , shooting position and stance (Appendix E3, hands relax at sides, wrist above respective shoulders, hands/fingers on marks/barrels etc..) prescribed by a COF prior to issuance of the “Start signal”

I hear ya about the ever freedom restraining rules but it is what it is for now.
    I was Nazied on it at the match Friday when I shot.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    8.2.2 says unless otherwise specified facing down range. Hands on marks does not change the rest. Which is the interpretation that must have been in play at ACC.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I hate the 2014 facing downrange definition. I bent Rick's ear on it some. We shouldn't have to write a bunch of crap in the wsb to get freestyle. I did a "starting anywhere in the shooting area" start recently, but still had to pick at people about where their shoulders and head was pointed. feels like idpa. the old "facing downrange standing erect w/ hands relaxed @ sides" was fine.... back when facing downrange meant "somewhere w/in the 180." RUMINT says HQ is wanting to further clarify this.... they need to stop further clarifying, that's how we got where we are. This crap causes un-necessary reshoots

-rvb

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Recent dumb me rules things.

If an r.o. Tells you to do anything that is not unreasonable just do it promptly and do not try to figure out why until later.

You can play with doors and portals during a walk through, as long as they do not activate anything, leaving them open during walk throughs is just a time efficiency / convenience habit.

If the competitor decides to make a mad dash up range, it is the r.o.'s job not to block his path, it is not the r.o.'s job to beat him up range. Smart r.o.'s avoid this situation.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    uh oh, busted under 10.6.1? I had to threaten someone with it once, but never had to use it.......

-rvb

Naw, but I tend to ponder why instead of act immediately sometimes, best to save any question for later. Other thing is that r.o.'s are a lot like people, they have their idiosyncrasies.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Nope. After that response, I doubted myself too afterwards since I didn't have the rulebook to show. That's why I asked you for verification on sunday.

So just something to keep in mind for next time... that's what the radio in the box is for. RM can come either answer a question, or go spend a couple minutes looking it up while the squads keeps on shooting. A little, um, unfortunate that the rest of the ROs on a squad of ROs didn't know it.

Also highlights why, as a shooter, it's good to know the ins/outs of the rules.... here a shooter should have had a reshoot, a chance to not hit that NS ...

-rvb

Top Bottom