• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Steel Challenge
    This Saturday, May 6th, WRPC will be hosting our monthly steel match. We will have four stages setup on the upper range (drive to the right). Minimum round count is 100. We recommend you bring 150-200 rounds of ammo for the match, you can always take extra back home.
    Registration opens at 9AM
    Shooters meeting is at 9:45AM
    First shots are fired at 10:00AM
    $10 per gun, $5 for juniors. (Limit of 2 guns per shooter)
    Hope to see you on the range!

-Tim

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Can you provide detail as to what actually goes on? I have never done any competitive shooting really, just a plinker. So I don't know anything about what goes on...What equipment would be needed

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Can you provide detail as to what actually goes on? I have never done any competitive shooting really, just a plinker. So I don't know anything about what goes on...What equipment would be needed

Sure thing. Steel challenge is a great place to get started into the shooting sports. We get a lot of new to competition shooters.

First priority is safety. There is no gun handling outside of designated safe areas or under the supervision of the RO. When you arrive, leave your equipment in your vehicle and introduce yourself as a new shooter. We will show you the safe areas where you can unbag your handgun and put it in your holster. (Note:no ammunition is allowed in the safe area.) Some divisions do not require a holster so you just leave it in the bag until you are under the supervision of an RO and they give you the range command to handle the firearm. There are more safety points to go over but that can be addressed when you are signing in for the match.

A typical steel challenge stage basically consists of 5 steel targets. One of the steel targets is designated as a red stop plate. In a course of fire, the competitor will shoot the first four steel targets an any order they would like, then they will engage the red stop plate. Scoring is the time it takes you to shoot all targets. You shoot that target array 5 times. Your slowest time gets thrown out and the four fastest times are added together for your score for the stage. If you miss, you can make up that shot, the only exception is if you hit the stop plate. Once the stop plate is hit, the run is over. Any misses after the stop plate is engaged will add 3 seconds to your time. If you are unable to hit the stop plate, that adds 30 seconds to your time. At Warsaw, we shoot 4 stages so 4 stages x 5 strings x 5 targets is 100 rounds if you don't miss. I recommend bringing double that.

As for what equipment you will need, eye and ear protection are required. After that, there is a division for almost any handgun. If it is a centerfire pistol, you will need a holster. There are also divisions for rimfire pistols, rimfire rifles, and pistol caliber carbines. Those firearms start at a low ready. If you don't have a holster for your centerfire pistol, we'll typically allow you to start at low ready for a match or two. There are a bunch of divisions and optic choices so just tell us what you would like to shoot and we'll put you in the appropriate division. Besides a holster, it is helpful to enough magazines so you do not have to reload them while you are shooting. Usually five 10 rd magazines or three magazines which can hold 15+ rds work well. There is a table next to the shooting box so you don't need any mag pouches to hold the magazines. You also need a gun bag/case to transport you firearm to the safe area at the beginning of the match.

When it's your time to shoot, the RO will call your name. You will bring your equipment up to the line. The range officer will then give you the MAKE READY command. At that time, you are permitted to draw your firearm from the holster or gun bag. You may take a sight picture if you would like. Then load your firearm. Once loaded, you will either reholster the pistol or lower the firearm to a low ready position. Then the range officer will ask you ARE YOU READY? If you are not ready, tell the RO and you will be given time to prepare. If you are ready, you can reply with yes or do nothing. Then the range officer will give you the command, STANDBY. Shortly after you will hear a beep from the timer to begin the course of fire. Once you hit the stop plate, the range officer will give you the command, MAKE READY FOR YOUR NEXT STRING or if you have completed all your strings of fire, you will receive the command, IF FINISHED, UNLOAD AND SHOW CLEAR. At that point you will remove the magazine and show the empty chamber to the RO. After showing clear, you will receive the command, IF CLEAR, HAMMER DOWN, AND HOLSTER. At that point, you point the firearm at the backstop and pull the trigger of the firearm. This proves the chamber is empty. After that you holster the firearm or bag it. Once the firearm is holstered/bagged, the range officer will announce RANGE IS CLEAR and the targets will be repainted.

Example stage
    [video=youtube_share;K5SpZiSfhYU]http://youtu.be/K5SpZiSfhYU[/video]

We usually get done around 12 or 1. There is more info on Steel Challenge Shooting Association Home Page - US Practical Shooting Assocation or on youtube such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RXNo4gEyk.

Some pictures from our matches
    https://www.facebook.com/WarsawRiflePistolClub/posts/570481799796782
    https://www.facebook.com/WarsawRiflePistolClub/posts/597484073763221
    https://www.facebook.com/WarsawRiflePistolClub/posts/570482663130029

Last edited:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Not much to say that hasn't been said by romack991. They put on a great match and this is a great place for a shooter to try their hand at competition. I have brought newer shooters to Warsaw that never competed before and they had a lot of fun. No large crowds, no pressure, and very helpful shooters. The more experienced shooters are more than willing to provide helpful tips and even equipment if needed. Hope to see you out there. You will have a blast.

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Thanks very much guys, especially romack for a great description. I am pretty interested, just may be able to come out Saturday. The couple of handguns I would like to use I don't have holster for, but sounds like we can work with that.... and I do have 3 15 round mags for my FS92, so that's probably what would bring. Looks like some use AR's (or not?), so maybe fun to try 2 guns... I did join the club late last year, but have only been out to target shoot, haven't been to any events.

Oh, in case I talk a friend into coming... can non members come play too?

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Thanks very much guys, especially romack for a great description. I am pretty interested, just may be able to come out Saturday. The couple of handguns I would like to use I don't have holster for, but sounds like we can work with that.... and I do have 3 15 round mags for my FS92, so that's probably what would bring. Looks like some use AR's (or not?), so maybe fun to try 2 guns... I did join the club late last year, but have only been out to target shoot, haven't been to any events.

Oh, in case I talk a friend into coming... can non members come play too?

Yes, nonmembers are welcome to steel challenge (and any club event posted on our calendar).
    The AR rifles you saw were either rimfire or pistol caliber (9mm). No centerfire rifles calibers are allowed.

I was thinking of coming, but putting up wallpaper and painting the bedroom is more important. Or so I am told.

-rvb

LOL. I'll be there for setup and registration but the club is also having a Bob Vogel class this weekend so I'm stepping out for that. Craig T will be the match director this month. I'm going to try to make it to Ft Wayne this month but that Saturday is SS Nats. It's a long day/late night driving back so we'll have to wait and see if I make it.

Is PCC a division is SC now?

PCC is actually two divisions for steel challenge. Optics and Iron. There are no shortages of divisions for SC....

PPCI
    PPCO
    RFPI
    RFPO
    RFRI
    RFRO
    ISR
    OSR
    SS
    PROD
    CO
    LTD