• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I hesitate to even ask because the answer is probably obvious, i.e. safety, popularity, etc, but could there be a steel challenge category for rifle caliber AR pistols?

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    The Bobcat Steel targets I own have had thousands of shots on them with zero problems. What kind of steel are you shooting?

I can't attest for every club that has a steel challenge match but I'm certain that most of the targets are not AR500.
    At steel challenge distances even AR500 can be deformed .

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Not so much the steel but the distance for a Steel Challenge Match, I don't want to be around when someone shoots steel at 30ft with a 5.56.

this

I can't attest for every club that has a steel challenge match but I'm certain that most of the targets are not AR500.
    At steel challenge distances even AR500 can be deformed .

and this

I've been to some that have max velocity rules for handgun ammo (some open-gun major-PF ammo wouldn't make the cut).

-rvb

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I'd like to raise a couple more questions on this topic:

1) given the recent carbine match at ACC which featured.30 cal rifles in 30 yard bays, is there a new position on this?

2) I assume the main holdup to running a 9mm AR pistol in a typical steel challenge match would be classifying it. I would propose running it in open division or possibly PCC but I'm not familiar with the minute details of each class as they relate to AR pistols. Also, it seems the most recent position taken by the ATF is that shouldering a stabilizing brace on a pistol is acceptable, which would make it comparable to a PCC.

I humbly await your responses! Thanks guys.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'd like to raise a couple more questions on this topic:

1) given the recent carbine match at ACC which featured.30 cal rifles in 30 yard bays, is there a new position on this?

2) I assume the main holdup to running a 9mm AR pistol in a typical steel challenge match would be classifying it. I would propose running it in open division or possibly PCC but I'm not familiar with the minute details of each class as they relate to AR pistols. Also, it seems the most recent position taken by the ATF is that shouldering a stabilizing brace on a pistol is acceptable, which would make it comparable to a PCC.

I humbly await your responses! Thanks guys.

1. can't help w/ acc policies
    2. 9mm AR pistols can be shot as a pistol in open, but you'll need a holster. yes, it's been done before in uspsa, even before there was a PCC division. ATF doesn't make rulings on uspsa/steel challenge matches... our current [provisional] rules for PCC say it has to have a stock, and sig brace or variants are not allowed. Time to SBR it :)

-rvb

Top Bottom