Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The shooter is in the box facing down range and is issued the "make ready" command. The shooter thumb cocks 1911 in the holster then snaps the safety on and does a draw and sight picture.

Is this legal?

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I over heard the original conversation and thought it was a good "teachable moment" but happygunner's post made me look it up to see it did not apply.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Well
    it should be
    We have a bunch of stupid rules, a lot of them were made up by someone that didn't like the way someone else was gaming.
    I've given up attempting to figure most of them out.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The shooter is in the box facing down range and is issued the "make ready" command. The shooter thumb cocks 1911 in the holster then snaps the safety on and does a draw and sight picture.

Is this legal?

No, it is NOT legal to have an unloaded gun cocked. The rules WERE violated. However, there is no punishment for it.
    Same reason you aren't DQd if found w/ a hammer back when not the shooter on a stage.
    See 5.2.2
    RO -could- stop you at that point and make "appropriate corrective action."

Since the magwell is empty and the chamber is empty then it is legal during make ready.

just pointing out someone couldn't barney up, then decide to cock the hammer while gun is in the holster w/o a safety applied (thinking DA guns w/ decockers or lowered hammer).

-rvb

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    The command make ready is the difference here, so 5.2.2 doesn't apply. And if there is no rule specific for it, then it is legal. It may be unsafe since you added "chamber empty" but shouldn't the "show clear" cover it the stage before? And if it's his first stage and we're concern about the chamber being empty, should we "show clear" on "make ready" too and not have shooters do dry fire/hammer cocked just to be safe?

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    When you think about it, since you and Coach ain't big on show clear then you might just as well assume it was loaded and dq the guy.

Just sayin.

Well, not really, if the hammer was down and no bang, it's good to go. It's still the shooter's primary responsibility and clearing and making the gun safe.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The command make ready is the difference here, so 5.2.2 doesn't apply. And if there is no rule specific for it, then it is legal.

There IS a specific rule: 5.2.2. Is there a MR exception I'm not seeing?

It's like 8.3.1.1... that one came up recently. There's a rule against it, but there is no penalty for breaking it that I could find...

As a shooter, I've found MY game gets interrupted less if I give the ROs fewer "WTF?" moments. Sure, by the book I can do certain things. I might get away with zipping through ULSC. I might cock the unloaded gun in the holster. Take 12 steps away from the start position during MR. Dryfire after inserting the mag. or any other number of, well, weird-but-"legal" things I've seen over the years. ... things that might not earn you penalty or DQ but could make the RO pause, maybe unload you, maybe call the CRO or RM, maybe try to chat with you about it, possibly rule incorrectly on penalties, etc. I prefer less drama when I'm on the course.

:twocents:

-rvb

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    There IS a specific rule: 5.2.2. Is there a MR exception I'm not seeing?

I think 5.2.2 is only for carrying the firearm in the holster, not during the make ready. If 5.2.2 applied during make ready, you would not be able to load the handgun since it also requires a empty magazine well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So I'm trying to understand the "why" of cocking the hammer before loading? Or am I not understanding what he did.

Does his actions have something to do with his draw and sight picture? Does the hammer being down get in the way of it? Or does he want to disengage the safety and pull the trigger along with his draw and site picturing?

Top Bottom