• ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all -
    What sports and events can I shoot with a S&W 929 (9mm, 8-shot), or a 627 or an R8 (357 8-shot)?
    no idpa?
    icore?
    uspsa?
    steel?
    bowling pins?

I've been shooting for fun for years, want to compete for fun now (new to competition). Picking a new revolver.

Also, what kinds of competitions do they have for big bore revolvers (.44mag and up?) - silhouette? other?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    ha, good question! You've been paying attention.
    No, not necessarily. I'll likely be getting a 1911.
    ... but I may be able to trade up to a 627 also (from my Ruger GP100 MC), so the stable might be changing a bit :)

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Hi all -
    What sports and events can I shoot with a S&W 929 (9mm, 8-shot), or a 627 or an R8 (357 8-shot)?
    no idpa?
    icore?
    uspsa?
    steel?
    bowling pins?

I've been shooting for fun for years, want to compete for fun now (new to competition). Picking a new revolver.

Also, what kinds of competitions do they have for big bore revolvers (.44mag and up?) - silhouette? other?

IDPA - is a 6 shot only game.
    ICORE -gun is fine in limited with the non-ported muzzle cap and open with the ported cap and a allowed optic.
    USPSA - Yes and you will be scored minor only in Revolver division with a 8 shot. Gun is legal but not competitive in several other divisions but is still fun.
    Steel - Yes
    Bowling Pins - Since there is not a widely used rule set you will have to check with each club. Some only allow 6 shots but you can leave a couple out of the moonclip and still shoot. Some allow you to shoot whatever the gun holds.

I shoot USPSA and ICORE and Steel with a Revolver and I do revolver action work for competition and carry. If you want to try it I shoot at most of the southern Indiana clubs let me know and we can squad together.
    Any questions about gear or things needed let me know.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    ICORE -gun is fine in limited with the non-ported muzzle cap and open with the ported cap and a allowed optic.
    USPSA - Yes and you will be scored minor only in Revolver division with a 8 shot. Gun is legal but not competitive in several other divisions but is still fun.
    Steel - Yes
    Bowling Pins - Since there is not a widely used rule set you will have to check with each club. Some only allow 6 shots but you can leave a couple out of the moonclip and still shoot. Some allow you to shoot whatever the gun holds.

I shoot USPSA and ICORE and Steel with a Revolver and I do revolver action work for competition and carry. If you want to try it I shoot at most of the southern Indiana clubs let me know and we can squad together.

Thanks, Bosshoss.
    So in USPSA is it better to shoot something like a 625 and score major? Is that what you mean by more competitive?
    I'm in MI, so i won't be able to meet up with you, but if anything changes I'd love to come watch/play

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thanks, Bosshoss.
    So in USPSA is it better to shoot something like a 625 and score major? Is that what you mean by more competitive?
    I'm in MI, so i won't be able to meet up with you, but if anything changes I'd love to come watch/play

What part of MI? Bend of the River in Niles hosts USPSA, IDPA and a few others. If you are just going for fun, try them out. I've been there a few times and love it. It's kind of laid back as most shooters are not pros.

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    Steel - Yes

Sorry for the hijack, I have another question. What is your take on reload speed of 627 vs 929? I want to buy 627 for shooting USPSA because I like .357 mag cartage. But reading on other forums, it seems that the use of longer .357 mag cases in 627 will slow down reloads in comparison with 9mm rounds in 929. So my question is how significant of a disadvantage this is (reload of 627 vs 929)? Does this matter at all for a beginner (with revolvers I mean, not semi-auto)? If I cut .357 mag cases to 9 mm length, will the reload speed be the same?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    God questions above - I'll address the ones i can.
    9mm reloads quicker for 2 reasons - 1) shorter, slightly tapered cases with nice rounded projectiles, 2) they wiggle less because the groove is bigger (moonclips are thicker) and they have standardized groove sizes.
    I think the 9mm moonclips are .035, and the 38/357 moonclips are .025.
    In theory, this gives an advantage to the 929, but in.practice I'd like to be able to shoot 357 magnums, ot just 9mm

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Thanks, Bosshoss.

USPSA revolver is 6 shot major or 8 shot minor. 8 minor rules the division. Some stages and even some matches the 6 major can be competitive if you are good at breaking down the stages. Most USPSA matches have 8 shot arrays and the 8 shot gun is a lot easier with stage planning.
    A revolver is legal in USPSA open, limited, limited 10, Production and of course Revolver divisions. A revolver won't be competitive against a auto with equal shooters. The revolvers longer heavier trigger pull and slower reloads just make it impossible.(although some of us try)

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Sorry for the hijack, I have another question. What is your take on reload speed of 627 vs 929? I want to buy 627 for shooting USPSA because I like .357 mag cartage. But reading on other forums, it seems that the use of longer .357 mag cases in 627 will slow down reloads in comparison with 9mm rounds in 929. So my question is how significant of a disadvantage this is (reload of 627 vs 929)? Does this matter at all for a beginner (with revolvers I mean, not semi-auto)? If I cut .357 mag cases to 9 mm length, will the reload speed be the same?

The speed is comparable but the big advantage of the shorter cartridges is consistency in making the reload. The longer cartridges have more "wiggle" in the moonclip due to the length. One of the secrets to success at revolver competition shooting is finding the moonclips and brass combo that gives the least amount of movement between the brass and moonclips.
    I know several shooters that use 38 special and a lot of the top shooters use 38 short colt or 38 long colt brass.
    Some use a hybrid 38 mid colt which is 38 special cut down to .900 length( same length as 38 super BTW).
    38 short colt is the same length as 9mm brass and take the same loading data.
    Cutting 38 and 357 brass to 9 mm length has very mixed results as the brass is thicker at the bottom of the case and affects the bullet seating.
    The shorter cases supposedly and probably does help with extraction but I have never had any problems no matter what length of brass I use.
    For a beginner just get the gun and work on trigger control and your reloads. You can do this in dryfire and at the house.

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    The speed is comparable but the big advantage of the shorter cartridges is consistency in making the reload. The longer cartridges have more "wiggle" in the moonclip due to the length. One of the secrets to success at revolver competition shooting is finding the moonclips and brass combo that gives the least amount of movement between the brass and moonclips.
    I know several shooters that use 38 special and a lot of the top shooters use 38 short colt or 38 long colt brass.
    Some use a hybrid 38 mid colt which is 38 special cut down to .900 length( same length as 38 super BTW).
    38 short colt is the same length as 9mm brass and take the same loading data.
    Cutting 38 and 357 brass to 9 mm length has very mixed results as the brass is thicker at the bottom of the case and affects the bullet seating.
    The shorter cases supposedly and probably does help with extraction but I have never had any problems no matter what length of brass I use.
    For a beginner just get the gun and work on trigger control and your reloads. You can do this in dryfire and at the house.
    Thank you, Bosshoss and Throttletony, for your replies. I am in favor of 627 in .357 mag because I have other semi-autos in 9 mm with a lot more than 8 rounds in a mag. And if I buy a revolver with limited capacity, at least it should fire significantly more powerful rounds than 9mm. That's my logic and it's probably wrong since I shot revolvers a few times only.

But on the other hand, I want to try a revolver in uspsa and don't want a revolver that will handicap me. I don't have a possibility to try 627 vs 929 and decide for myself. And they are not cheap. So spending 1000+ on a revolver just to find that it's not what I need makes me hesitant to buy one.

From your replies, it looks like 929 is better in terms of reload ease, but it's not a huge advantage. Both 627 and 929 should be very competitive. I am now leaning even more towards 627 because of the magnum round it can fire.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The 627 (all versions) is just awesome.
    The 929 would be fun and cheap to feed, but less overall utility, and it requires moonclips wjereas the 627 they are optional

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I like to shoot my 627 for most local shoots. Guys know I'm a revolver guy. I shoot my 5" 627 PC in:

• USPSA ( I don't shoot USPSA very often)
    • Steel Challenge
    • ICORE

Never liked IDPA as well as the others. Not very revolver friendly. I sometimes shoot my 5" 625 for USPSA too. Trading the Ruger for the 8-shot would be a good move. I haven't been to a bowling pin match for quite a while, but it should be fun for that too. I like my 627. I like the feel of a 5" N-Frame.

Good luck on your graduation. That is a great achievement. You should enjoy having a 1911. One of my shooting buddies says that if you are an American and pee standing up, you should have a 1911, and it should be a 45. I think the 8-shot revolver would be another good addition. Just so you know, the right number of guns to have is... just one more.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I like to shoot my 627 for most local shoots. Guys know I'm a revolver guy. I shoot my 5" 627 PC in:

• USPSA ( I don't shoot USPSA very often)
    • Steel Challenge
    • ICORE

Never liked IDPA as well as the others. Not very revolver friendly. I sometimes shoot my 5" 625 for USPSA too. Trading the Ruger for the 8-shot would be a good move. I haven't been to a bowling pin match for quite a while, but it should be fun for that too. I like my 627. I like the feel of a 5" N-Frame.

Good luck on your graduation. That is a great achievement. You should enjoy having a 1911. One of my shooting buddies says that if you are an American and pee standing up, you should have a 1911, and it should be a 45. I think the 8-shot revolver would be another good addition. Just so you know, the right number of guns to have is... just one more.

Bravo!
    I used to think that 3 was the minimum number for anyone's gun collection (a pistol, a rifle -- one in .22 and one being centerfire, and a shotgun.)
    Now I think the minimum number is somewhere between 5-7
    - a .22 rifle, a centerfire rifle, a magnum revolver, a full size semi-auto handgun in popular caliber, at least 1 shotgun, a carry gun, etc

So, i agree with "just one more"

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I don't shoot revolvers in competition any more, but one consideration is that you're going to be loading that .357 down for minor (ie, it's always going to be a "special fed" gun). If you ever get behind in your reloading, sometimes it's nice to just be able to pick up a few boxes of 9mm factory loads and head out the door. That would favor the 929.

It really comes down to what you want the gun for. If you want to do hunting and "badass" stuff with it that requires horsepower, you want the .357. If it's strictly a competition gun, you probably want the 929. But, if you're new to competition, I would seriously recommend shooting some matches with what you already have (ie, autoloader), and see if buying a $1000+ revolver is really something you want to mess with. There is a reason why USPSA matches only have 3 revolver shooters in them, and you want to discover that firsthand before buying an expensive gun. Working the stages is _always_ going to be more laborious with a revolver. The auto shooters are constantly going to have it easier than you. You might want to try it for a while, and make sure the additional "fol de rol" of shooting a revolver in competition isn't going to wear you down over time, before investing in a $1000+ revolver and deciding after a year that you'd personally be happier shooting an auto.

If there's any danger whatsoever of getting burnt out an not liking it (meaning competition with a revo), I would either try it with an auto for a while, or else buy the .357 for better resale value (calibers that are legal for deer, for example, are always going to be easier to find buyers for).

(PS - a few years ago, I was where you are, and considered purchasing an 8-shot Smith to begin USPSA shooting for the first time. I am _so_ glad I didn't. I felt you needed to hear that side of the story, too).

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    A GP100 is perfectly good for Steel, Bowling Pins and especially ICORE!

Steel shoots tend to have the least required equipment, so you can take about anything that shoots to a steel match!

For ICORE you'll need a holster and about 6-8 speed loaders, which costs some money. If you find a local match, you may convince someone to bring you everything you need to try it out! The GP100 would compete in Classic division, six shots and speed loaders(no moon clips).

I use a 929 for competition everywhere I can. Thanks to Bosshoss, it's a very sweet shooter! Weirdly, his 627 always seems to go faster than my 929... Must be the gun... :D

Oh, and on the subject of Run-what-ya-brung, I packed a pair of k-frame S&W's for a steel match tonight. Giving the 929 a break and hoping to have a little fun!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    A GP100 is perfectly good for Steel, Bowling Pins and especially ICORE!

Steel shoots tend to have the least required equipment, so you can take about anything that shoots to a steel match!

For ICORE you'll need a holster and about 6-8 speed loaders, which costs some money. If you find a local match, you may convince someone to bring you everything you need to try it out! The GP100 would compete in Classic division, six shots and speed loaders(no moon clips).

I use a 929 for competition everywhere I can. Thanks to Bosshoss, it's a very sweet shooter! Weirdly, his 627 always seems to go faster than my 929... Must be the gun... :D

Oh, and on the subject of Run-what-ya-brung, I packed a pair of k-frame S&W's for a steel match tonight. Giving the 929 a break and hoping to have a little fun!

Thanks for the info.
    I shoot the GP100 pretty well, and it's as fast (or faster) for me to reload as a lefty.
    I, like many others on here, have a bit of A.D.D. when it comes to my modest gun collection. I like to buy/sell/trade probably more than I should.
    This thread had got me thinking a lot about gear choices and to just shoot what I prefer. So, I think I'll keep my GP100 MC - since it really feels like "mine" now after trigger jobs, polish jobs, spring swaps, and general TLC. I want to do a custom bead blast job on all of it minus the cylinder which I'll do as high polish. Hell, I might even get it cut for moonclips for fun, though I'd use speedloaders in competition to not have to compete against the 625's, 627's, or 929's.
    I know that this current gun can do everything I need it to.

Down the road I'll get a 627 for fun, and probably a 629 also, oh and a 625, and maybe a...

EDIT TO ADD: 3000 posts! oh yeah!

Top Bottom