• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club will be hosting our second ICORE match of the year on June 24th. Match will consist of 6 stages including one classifier (El-Prez), round count will be 142 minimum with a lot of steel targets. As always, I appreciate all of the help I can get with Friday night set-up. I should be there by 4PM on Friday to get things going.

Cost is $15 for the first gun and $5 for each additional entry
    R.O. and set-up help shoot for FREE.

Gates open at 8:00
    Registration opens at 9:00
    Shooter's meeting at 9:45
    Shots fired at 10:00

Registration Link: https://practiscore.com/wvrpc-icore-2017-06-24/register

Lastly, please remember that WVRPC is a Cold Range on match days. That means no gun handling except in designated Safe Areas or as directed on the firing line by a Range Officer. The only time where a firearm may be removed from a case or holster is in one of these two locations. The parking lot is not a safe area. Handling your firearm in the parking lot or trunk of your car will result in a match disqualification. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER TO THIS RULE.

Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    Won't be a drop of steel left in that shed, plus there's a 24 round classifier in there. We'll have a good mix of field courses, one steel challenge style stage, and we'll be using the moving target system as well. Glad you can make it!

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    Alaskan454 and water63, thank you for your generous offers from both of you to run your 627's in this match with your equipment! I would be a fool not to accept them. So I'll be there on June 24th and I really appreciate your help! Hoever, there is one question that is not very clear to me. Will I have a possibility to practice reloading with dummy rounds in dry fire before running stages? I have never done a reload with speedloader and moonclips. I have seen how this is done and I noticed that shooters are getting very close to breaking 180. I would hate to be dq'd on my first reload attempt. I am otherwise familiar with range commands and safety rules. I participated in several uspsa matches in production and limited divisions.

Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    When does your 627 come in? No reason you couldn't run your stock gun at the match, it would give you a chance to practice with it first and fully appreciate BossHoss's work when you get it back. Otherwise, I'm sure we could have an RO supervise while you practice a few reloads in an empty bay with borrowed gear. I used to tip the gun back during reloads but have found it's faster for me to keep it pointed downrange. Using that method there's no risk of breaking the 180. Just personal preference.

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    The gun ships on Monday next week. So I should get it in my hands by the end of the week or early following week. I was fixated on delivering it to Bosshoss right away, but I think it does make sense to shoot it first as is. This would allow me to practice with the gun a week or so before shooting it in competition.

Any recommendation for a competition holster? I want something good so as not waist money on cheep stuff first and then go for the right more expensive model.

Thank you!

Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    The only one I've personally owned is the DAA Race Master. It's a great holster but is also expensive. I also hear good things about Comp Tac and Safariland holsters, maybe the others have some input.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    DAA make a model called the Racer that is quite a bit cheaper and works just as well as the racemaster.
    Same locking mechanism and just as adjustable. It doesn't switch blocks for different guns but is cheap enough that you could by 2 racers for the price of a racemaster and 1 additional block.
    CR speed also makes a decent holster but it isn't as secure as a DAA but cheaper.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    When does your 627 come in? No reason you couldn't run your stock gun at the match, it would give you a chance to practice with it first and fully appreciate BossHoss's work when you get it back. Otherwise, I'm sure we could have an RO supervise while you practice a few reloads in an empty bay with borrowed gear. I used to tip the gun back during reloads but have found it's faster for me to keep it pointed downrange. Using that method there's no risk of breaking the 180. Just personal preference.

I'll bring some dummy rounds with me. The reloads will not be as hard as you might think.

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    Thank you. I hope this will be the case.

Thanks to everyone for advice on holster. DAA racer seems to make more sense to me in terms of price and quality.

Any suggestions on reasonable moon clip holders. I can see Revolver Supply sells some. Are they good? I have noticed that they sell a tall version for 357 sp cases and a short version for 9mm/38 short colt. Can one use the tall 357 sp holders with short colt? If possible I'd like to have holders that can be used for short and long cases.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I built my first rig on the CHEAP. I bought and still run a Safariland Cup 002($65). I might be the only person in USPSA using this antique! I also made my own moon clip holders. After a year or so I upgraded to the Revo Supply Co short post (929). For a belt, get the Double Alpha belt that's on sale on midway right now. I wouldn't recommend anything but DA belts.

With the tall post, you might be able to get three clips stacked on there.(I think i've seen guys do that.) No problem there, more ammo is better ammo!

I think i might maybe possibly run Classic at this match, if i make it. Or open. I dunno.

Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    DAA Racer holster and belt will be a great choice as the others have mentioned, I would not buy another Race Master since it makes more sense to buy two Racer models for different style guns. As for holders the Revo Supply or North Mountain units are what I see the most. If you're handy it's not that hard to make your own out of sheet Kydex and some aluminum posts. Look for a used one if you can find it, I got mine for a great price used.

Last edited:

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    Thanks s lot everyone! Placed an order for daa racer, 0.025 moonclips and tall holders from revo supply.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Thanks s lot everyone! Placed an order for daa racer, 0.025 moonclips and tall holders from revo supply.

When you figure out what brass you are going to use(short colt, long colt, 38 special) you can get some foam pipe insulation and cut off pieces to slip on the post and down to the bottom so you reloads don't have to come up the post so far. This also helps when you have a mags/moonclips come from a table or barrel at the start. You can pull the foam up the top of the post and it will hold the post out, making putting the moonclips on the post while on the clock faster.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    This is a cool tool for loading and unloading moons.

BMT Equipped, Inc.

BMT tool works great for some calibers but if the clips are tight and with some brass the tool is very difficult to use and takes a lot of leverage to make work. I made a handle for one of mine to get more leverage and finely just gave up. I use a revolver supply ultimate moonclip tool now.
    The tighter the clip holds the brass the less wiggle/flop the rounds have and the more consistent you reloads will be.:twocents:

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    Thanks for the comments. BMT tool is also quite expensive. I ordered the one from revo supply for $39.

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    When you figure out what brass you are going to use(short colt, long colt, 38 special) you can get some foam pipe insulation and cut off pieces to slip on the post and down to the bottom so you reloads don't have to come up the post so far. This also helps when you have a mags/moonclips come from a table or barrel at the start. You can pull the foam up the top of the post and it will hold the post out, making putting the moonclips on the post while on the clock faster.
    Thanks for the advice regarding foam inserts. So it seems I made a good decision buying tall holders. I have 38 sp brass and placed an order for 38 short colt from starline. Revo supply 0.025 moons seem to be compatible according to the info on their site.

Top Bottom