• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    As the sport gets more popular, safety reminder is essential.

The purpose of these videos is not to scare people from the sport. This serves as a reminder that the safety of this sport is of utmost importance and a team effort, not just the the ROs. This sport is still the safest compared to others but we can't be complacent.

As always, the 4 rules of firearm safety should always be applied when handling a firearm.

[video=youtube;HUzTIKAbI3k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUzTIKAbI3k[/video]

[video=youtube;Z3SpgGClpv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3SpgGClpv4[/video]

And lastly

[video=youtube;4wEycuGSQig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wEycuGSQig[/video]

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I saw a guy sweep himself and break the 180 today on a stage and no one seemed to notice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Since 1994, I've seen some that were worse than most of those. Once at RileyCC, three guys (coincidentally all cops) came to shoot the match for the first time. Two of them were fine, but one of them was disaster waiting to happen. He was shooting Para-Ordnance P12.45 or P13.45 and was pretty wild most of the match. When he finally got DQd, it was for reloading with his gun pointed backward under his arm toward the rest of the squad and his finger was on the trigger. After he was DQd he was angry and insisted that there was no way he had done it. We didn't have ubiquitous video back then, but I know it happened because I was one of the people staring down the muzzle of his gun when he did it.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I find it particularly appalling (and somewhat amusing) when it's done by someone wearing a fancy "shooting sports" logo shirt. But that's just me, I guess.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am not a big fan of posting **** like this
    maybe the intent is to remind but actually all it does is scare people away.
    It scares new shooters away, it scares people away from wanting to RO

On any given weekend there are 10's of thousands of competitors out at matches with no issues
    You have a better chance of getting injured in Chicago than you do a match

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I dunno.

If gun safety isn't understood and being made aware of the potential risks would scare somebody away, is that the person you want to shoot with?

I'm a fan of the in your face awareness stuff, whether it is old school blood and guts drivers ed or similar blunt information for industrial safety, or just reminding each other to keep it safe at matches.

It is great that "On any given weekend there are 10's of thousands of competitors out at matches with no issues"

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    On any given weekend there are 10's of thousands of competitors out at matches with no issues

Hence the more importance of knowing/seeing what not do to.

I was the receiving end of a make ready situation while I was still pasting when I started in 2014 and that didn't scare me away from the sport. It scared **** out of the shooter and RO. But since then everyone has been more aware of checking anyone behind a barricade.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I can post a video from a hat cam on the USPSA facebook page that makes it look like someone is downrange and get 1000 comments about how unsafe this is and how they would never come to one of these types of matches.
    What do you think they would say about some of these?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I am not a big fan of posting **** like this
    maybe the intent is to remind but actually all it does is scare people away.
    It scares new shooters away, it scares people away from wanting to RO

We need to see these things to prevent us from becoming complacent. It's also good for newer shooters to see clear examples of what NOT to do. Sometimes, this stuff happens so quickly that it goes unnoticed. If someone is going to be scared away by such information, then I'm OK with that.

While it may be true that there are thousands of safe competitors, it only takes ONE idiot to really ruin your day.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I am not a big fan of posting

We need to see these things to prevent us from becoming complacent. It's also good for newer shooters to see clear examples of what NOT to do. Sometimes, this stuff happens so quickly that it goes unnoticed. If someone is going to be scared away by such information, then I'm OK with that.

Seems like whether or not you like to see the info posted is a moot point, it is going to show up here and there. Being able to discuss the overall picture (e.g., statically safer than kids playing touch football I assume) might be useful.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Two things:

1) If you own a gun or guns it should not take a video to remind you how much responsibility goes with gun ownership. It is an all the time thing, and there is not a time on on safe gun handling ever under and circumstances. If you do or see something that is unsafe then it should be absorbed and learned from and not repeated.

2) I think there is a fine line between facing facts, screw-ups, brain fades, and wallowing in them. This is huge topic for USPSA or any organization and opinions will vary. In terms of video like the old blood and guts drivers ed videos. The effect of those fade pretty quickly and there is a disconnect between the video and the real world for most people and especially teenagers and even more so with teenagers these days, as they are desensitized greatly by TV, Movies and Video games. I think what is more effective is being in their ear about safety constantly (driving, shooting or anything else). It takes time for things to sink in and it has to be repeated in order for it to be absorbed. 25 years of teaching has made that rather plain.

In teaching my kids gun safety. They both screwed it up and swept me with a loaded gun. Corrective actions were taken and so far neither has ever repeated the mistake. There was a serious talk and grounding from guns for six months in both cases. In Royce's case we were to go shooting with his best friend and his friends dad the next week. Royce had to also call and explain that and apologize for screwing it up. So far so good. The lesson has to be real. The guidelines repeated. Everytime we have guns out I am talking about triggers, fingers and not sweeping anyone. Every time.

Top Bottom