• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Time for another run at some long distance fun. Match is on Sunday June 25. Registration until 10:15, then a Shooters meeting, final sight in from 10:30-11:00.

White targets this time, so crosshairs should show up better.

Same distances, 75, 110, & 165 yards.

For those interested in trying this who are limited to 100 yards, I fired some groups at different distances to find how far the bullet drops. Starting with a 100 yard zero, CCI Standard Velocity dropped another couple inches at 110 yards. I then posted a large target at 110 yards and fired a group to zero my crosshair. I then took the target out to 165 yards and fired the same ammo with the same aiming point. A 10 shot group had a drop of about 18 inches. If my math is correct (and I'm not saying it is) the 20 inch drop from 100 to 165 yards is 20 MOA? Does that sound right? My scope won't crank up that far but it has hash marks that I use instead. If my math is wrong, please correct.

Questions? Will respond here or in PM.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    MOA is related to distance, so at 165yd a 20 inch drop isn't 20 MOA, more like 11.8 MOA drop (MOA adjustment) . Your drop in inches is close to what the ballistic calculator produces. Thanks for posting actual data.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Good catch, I meant to type 12 MOA but brain farted instead. Each time I shoot the Savage I am impressed with how easily it wants to hit targets. We had the 4H kids all take a couple shots on the turkey target (about 5") at 165 yards. About a dozen kids and they all hit it within 2 shots from the bench. That reinforces the concept of this event that ordinary rifles can regularly hit targets and be competitive up to the level of the shooter skill.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    most of your off the rack 22's will out shoot their users. the marlin 795's will shoot a sub moa group using cci mini mags at 100 yards if held in place properly. they take one from each batch at random, put it in a vice, and put 10 rounds through it. if those rounds do not all land in an area that can be covered with a quarter, that whole batch is scrapped. it is almost NEVER the rifle that is the problem.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a crazy looking 10/22 rigged up with a questionable scope system. We'll see how it goes.

Hogslayer shot pretty darn good with his 10/22. Inspired me to shoot what I have.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Very good, it looks like we'll have a decent turnout. Weather forecast looks good too. This will be a fun time.

bwframe- I have some lead in a couple paint cans for you if you drive a car.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    From last month's post:

Riley Conservation Club will be hosting a .22 Rimfire Long Range Silhouette event...

This is a timed fire, accuracy oriented event. Rifles that can shoot 2 MOA are competitive. 22 Long Rifle only, no magnums or 17 cal.
    Targets will be at 75, 110, and 165 yards. Prone firing or from bench for those physically unable to shoot prone. Bipod or field pack front rest allowed, no sandbags.

9:30 am Registration
    10:15 am Shooters meeting & announcements
    10:30 am Sight in and zeroing
    11:00 am Shoot for score

Entry fees: Adult- $15 Stand alone junior-$10 Junior with paid adult- free
    Lewis class style payback, base on number of entries, allows middle class and newbies a chance to win pot money

Many thanks to those who attended our first match.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    OK I forgot, what are the rules? No Bipods, only backpacks for shooting rests, everything singleshot, ...

Yep, that's the basics. You shoot targets at all 3 distances during each 2.5 minute firing time. Shoot 10 shots and rotate shooters in your squad. Scorecard will have your target designation. Be prepared to score & spotter chores when you aren't shooting. Multiple shooters can use the same rifle, so bring a buddy, wife, or youth if you can.

Lewis class style payback so middle and lower class scores are in the hunt for payback.

Bring enough ammo to get final zero on your scope, plus 40 rounds for score.

Balance of rules will be announced at shooters meeting.

bwframe-- We're planning to set up Saturday night about 7pm. One of the locals is helping me do setup, so it should go smooth, we'll have it setup in less than half the time. You should come over Saturday and shoot a bunch. Most of the targets are available on our NEW 22 range, just grab a couple racks and the appropriate targets and put them at 110 & 165. The NEW 22 range has interchangeable swingers so members can put swap targets and put out as desired.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

And of course, I changed my mind. :rolleyes: No bearing on Hog Slayer, I only hope to rival his marksmanship.

The scope I want to run wasn't making me happy mounted to the 10/22 receiver. It set too high and the mount was QD. I wasn't confident in it mounted to the 10/22 receiver.

I ran into a Savage bolt gun in the classifieds. Remembering Hawkey7br's post referring to his Savage accuracy, I went that way. Zeroed this afternoon between torrential downpours. So far, I'm giggly happy with the 100 yard accuracy. Looking to work the rig a bit harder tomorrow. :yesway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Great match! Don't remember the count, but a big turnout.

Having a lot of fun and learning long range rifle work. I'll be back next match.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    This was a well-run and conceived match that should be fun for most anybody that likes .22 rifles.

The course of fire is not as complex as it seems on the internet, and yet presents enough challenge to keep the brain moving. There are ample opportunities to screw up, but there are also targets that are very 'hittable' by most shooters and just about any .22 you have that still has rifling.

I watched a lot of shooting, and the targets at 165 yards did not seem to present a much more formidable barrier than any of the others. There were some nice rifles on the line, and there were some rifles that were toward the rack end of things, but there were misses from all of them, as well as lots and lots of hits.

The backstop behind all targets is smooth sand, enabling easy corrections for misses, but if it is sunny, the sand would make it very challenging to see target definition with iron sights.

For budgetary concerns, you're looking at about $25 spent on the day, including normal ammo (2 boxes) and range fee. As far as competitive matches go, that is very reasonable. Actually, it's about as cheap as you can get for an afternoon of casual competition unless it is just in your backyard.

To anybody who has never attended a 'competition' match of any kind, I say that this would be a great jumping off point, and especially for kids. There's a lot of immediate gratification of the steel targets, and everybody will hit some of them. The crowd is very easy-going, and there's some knowledge floating around to be gained, and/or help if you need it...which is actually mostly commonplace in competitive shooting, but not all disciplines are 'easy goin'.

Match shooting is done under a covered firing line, so anybody that WOULD like to try irons should have very good front sight definition against a fully lit field of targets.

Bring a sammich and jug of iced tea, and have a great time!

-Nate

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Thank you to all who attended. It was refreshing to have a full line, it seems like chaos when everyone is shooting and spotting and calling targets but throughout all that the shooters all focused on the targets and their attempt to hit critters. Many thanks to bwframe for help with setup and teardown.

We had 18 shooters including 4 juniors. Three of the juniors were from our local 4H program and they represented themselves very well. We paid a total of $72 in prize money to 1st, 6th, 11th, & 15th place.

Not unexpected, INGO member Natdscott led the way with a 36 of 40. The next 3 spots went to handgun silhouette shooters, two tied for 2nd place with 35's, yours truly was next at 30x40. Fifth place went to 13 year old Brayden with a 28, Brayden has been in our 4H program about 3 years and shoots air rifle in the winter with us. INGO member sht4brnz won money in 6th place.

There is a lot of verbiage on the line, spotters/scorers telling shooters which target to engage. A bit of chaos for the first timers but the veterans helped walk them through it. Brain farts were common. Forgot to move sights, shot wrong target, ran out of time, etc. I shot at a couple targets at 110 yards while using my 75 yard scope setting.

Wife says her highlight was in the recap meeting. 4H'er Katlyn was disappointed in her shooting until I announced the Lewis style payback and handed her $$. She popped up out of her chair with an impromptu speech, now it was fun!!

As posted above, this is a low key competition and a good starter for the average guy/gal that wants to test their rifle and ability. We hope more will attend.

Next match will be 3rd weekend in August, probably Saturday Aug 19. Last event of year on Saturday Sept 30.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How did you shoot, bwframe?

Not as well, without a drill sgt spotter in my ear. :)

Lottsa room for improvement. I'm still learning my gear and how to be a better precision shooter. All the knowlege I need was out there on the line with us, from the youths to the seasoned competitors. I certainly hope all keep coming back!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This should be of interest to all who like the .22 matches that Hawkeye7br hosts at RileyCC:

[video=youtube;ZCJhbB0W-6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCJhbB0W-6Q[/video]

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm glad to hear this match came off well!

And thanks for the vids, Rhino...that was pretty mesmerizing (looks like there are some hardasses out there doing this stuff!)

Top Bottom