• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    does anyone here use any of the laser dry fire systems for dry fire practice with either handgun or rifle?
    if you have tried them, give me your pros/cons/random feedback. I find the idea interesting, but you cannot trust the reviews on the interwebs. this group here may be a bit more trustworthy. (crazy, isn't it?)

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    To each their own. You may like it. You may not. Personally, I tried the iTarget and I quickly got over the excitement of it all. I no longer use it and find that I get along much better by using traditional methods. As tempting as it is, Is save your money.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    does anyone here use any of the laser dry fire systems for dry fire practice with either handgun or rifle?
    if you have tried them, give me your pros/cons/random feedback. I find the idea interesting, but you cannot trust the reviews on the interwebs. this group here may be a bit more trustworthy. (crazy, isn't it?)

NHT3 got one I got to play with a couple of times.
    IT was very helpful so I could get a visual of my mechanical habits.
    I did change my grip just a little to steady the laser scoring dots.
    My groups on paper tightened up and I can stretch my shots out a little.
    It's like any tool and only as good as you make it.
    Do I have a use for one? Yea, but it's not a necessity since I know where a couple are that I can use when needed. I'm a cheap prick sometimes.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    How can you have a front sight focus and look at a dot on the wall or the target?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The same way you use the front sight for any point of aim.
    Not while looking at a laser on a wall. That will lead to eye sprinting and a bad performance because you are practicing the wrong thing. If you have a front sight focus and call your shots which is the proper thing to be doing then you don't need the laser.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Whatever you say pal. Glad you know what's working for me.
    People improve with bad technique and poor tactics in all sorts of venues and manners. Usually by practice and repetition. They would even improve even more if doing things properly. I was address the OP in everything I said here. If you are happy do what you think is best.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    People improve with bad technique and poor tactics in all sorts of venues and manners. Usually by practice and repetition. They would even improve even more if doing things properly. I was address the OP in everything I said here. If you are happy do what you think is best.

You've got it coach. Give me a couple more cups of coffee and I'm sure I'll be more social.
    And we get along so well in person. Good Morning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I use a laser to show new shooters why they need good trigger discipline.
    It does work to show them how much they are moving the nose of the gun when not gripping or manipulating the trigger properly.
    Put the laser on a point. Have them dry fire. The look of amazement when they actually see what is going on is worth the effort.
    From that point the learning curve usually goes vertical.

As to Coaches approach. That is a step in the process. Get them set up and comfortable 1st. Then move along.
    JMHO of course but it has worked for a lot of newbies.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Agree completely with Coach. Should be watching the FS, not the hit.

I have used a laser in dryfire... a really cheap one that clipped on the trigger guard. Good for learning to be steady when moving, to help see how much total wobble your movement adds...

-rvb

Top Bottom