• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm hoping I don't have to get another shotgun, but I've been getting into trap lately and my 870 Express Tactical with an 18" barrel isn't exactly a good fit for the sport. If I can I would like to get another barrel I can swap in for matches with some different choke options. I was looking at this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...-with-modified-choke-tube-only-vent-rib-matte

Could anyone experienced help point a noob in the right direction?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm hoping I don't have to get another shotgun, but I've been getting into trap lately and my 870 Express Tactical with an 18" barrel isn't exactly a good fit for the sport. If I can I would like to get another barrel I can swap in for matches with some different choke options. I was looking at this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...-with-modified-choke-tube-only-vent-rib-matte

Could anyone experienced help point a noob in the right direction?

That will work just fine. Get a full choke tube for it, then make sure you pattern it on paper to make sure it isn't defective and shooting off to the side (fairly rare, but factories aren't perfect). It's the cheapest expenditure that will rapidly give you something adequate for trying out trap effectively, until such time that you want a more expensive gun. The only other thing will be to check the balance of the gun; if that barrrel makes it too front heavy with a short syn. stock, you might be able to rectify it somewhat by removing the recoil pad and pouring lead shot into the stock bolt hole to weigh down the back of the gun (and absorb recoil).

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I'm just a recreational trap shooter, so not sure if I qualify as an expert. In my opinion, that would be an excellent barrel for trap. I typically shoot trap with a modified choke, which is what this barrel comes with. You have the flexibility of adding additional Rem chokes as your need arises.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    HOLD UP, Double check, A friend of mine had an Tactical and the barrel was DIFFERENT that the standard remington. I was very surprised

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Check out your local Gander Mountain, locally (Avon) weeks back, they had some barrels. 40% off I think.

Gander Mountains 40% off is usually higher than MSRP. ;)

I got a decent deal on an AR there but I picked up a Magpul SGA stock there for convenience and at 25% off it was still more than Midway.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Having shot Trap for going on 10 years I have almost enough experience to no longer being thought of as a novice. With that said, the barrel/choke combination shown in the original post is a good start in the right direction for shooting from the 16, cause everybody that's anybody in Trap knows the gun ya shot last season is probably not good enough for next season. On a weekly basis I'll take whichever of my Trap guns I can break the most birds with; some weeks leave me thinking it was the wrong one.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom