How long does it take "Joe Shooter," on average, to go from curious to 1st match

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I had completely forgotten about this thread. And the same people were just as helpful then as they are now. I only took a 7 year detour into a different shooting/civic pursuit, but obviously that competitive interest was still there. Thank, INGO! You rock!

www.ingunowners.com/forums/women-firearms/74543-any-ladies-compete.html

P.S. I do NOT have that piece of crap Taurus anymore. I am still shooting the M&P9c that replaced it. But I picked up my STI Elektra today... :D

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    ^Good advice for sure. Though I'd say as long as you're safe, go for it and ignore the timer. It will come.

I was just trying to settle a small "dispute" between the hubs and I on just how long I've had my M&P9c, and it occurred to me that I might have documented my Taurus failure on INGO. And I had. For the record, I overestimated, and he underestimated. It sorta averaged out. Anyway...I stumbled upon the linked thread in my search and found it hilarious. I asked all those questions, even bought an M&P Pro (which I 100% forgotten about but now lament having sold...but it wasn't doing me any good at the time since I was solely focused on rifle for so many years), and didn't shoot a match until this April. I had completely forgotten even typing this stuff. But same INGOers, same friendly help. This place...it's good. I'm proud to be a part of it. :ingo:

P.S. Please don't go back and read all of my old posts. So much NoOb it hurts. :popcorn: But we laughed and laughed...and I cringed...and we laughed some more. Man, I posted a ton back then, too. Didn't have to split my time between INGO and the 'Gram back the 'ol days. :laugh:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I haven't done a real match yet but started shooting the "action steel" at my club & a couple of Coach's uspsa noobie classes over the last year or so. I haven't learned enough about the different classifications & such yet. It sounds fun, a few friends are actually shooting some events & starting to do well.

The one thing I don't want is to get into a $$$ gear race.

Two gun sounds fun because I'm not real into shotguns.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Hop! Come on! DO it! I am certain you have at least 95% of the gear (or knowing you, 350% of the gear :D) to make this happen. No more excuses. No more hesitation. See ya out there! ;)

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I believe that most people over think this. My own Wife and Daughter as well. They fear embarrassment and fear of their feelings being hurt.

Truth is I have never seen anyone ever make fun of a newbie. Now once you are in and make friends then, well yes the competitive juices will boil and the mind games will begin.

Every one of us has been there. We know the feeling. But that feeling is for not. Every one there wants you to succeed and hopes the best for you. ( At least until you start getting close to their skill level and then well......)

Most start this GAME with just an interest in learning to shoot better and maybe enjoy it more. Soon they find their skills they were searching for and then they find the game is enjoyable and the push for improvement begins, as well as the gaming.

It's OK. But I will tell you this Without a LOT of practice and training you will never be good enough to begin shooting matches and do so at the top levels that you want to in your mind to save that embarrassment you fear so much.

So if you are interested in getting into the shooting sports and shooting matches then it is simple, Just do this.

1. Research and understand how a match functions. Youtube is great for this.
    2. Read the rules at USPSA.org
    3. Look into the equipment needed. Just the basics to start because it will change later. Just use your EDC stuff at first it works.
    4. Go to a match and watch. Ask questions at appropriate times. Watch and learn.

5. VERY IMPORTANT. Learn how to operate and function a gun safely.

Once this is done. Just go do it, have fun at it. Stay safe and enjoy yourself.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Most of the people I see that get involved are people who get to the match through another competitor who mentors them. This can be a very short time, sometimes only a week or two.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    AB,
    I remember you from Appleseed at Atterbury! You were great and helped me out with some things there. You will have no problem with this type of shooting. I say this based on your background, and knowing that you know how to handle yourself with a gun pretty good anyways.

I think you will enjoy it and look forward to seeing you at a match someday!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    People get hung up on equipment with USPSA. A quality 9mm handgun like your M&P. Either 5 10 round or 3 16+ round magazines (the 16 rounders will put you in limited but no big deal). A sturdy belt, holster and a couple mag pouches. A lot of new guns come with a paddle holster and double mag pouch and that is enough to get started.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Many people find it easier to make excuses than to go up to the line and make ready.

People afraid of looking bad in public just don't come out and try it. Many people think they need to get "good" then try it. That is the wrong approach.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    Coming to town for a couple weeks. What fridays are steel? been a long time since I've done the Bang and Clang.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hah! I had zero interest in USPSA.

Then my brother took me a 3-gun match at RileyCC to watch. That sent me from zero interest to I MUST DO THIS by the next weekend when I shot my first pistol match as Coal Creek. It took seeing it one time to get me hooked and committed to doing it.

mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I actually stumbled across my first match on accident at a local range. It was more IDPA style but the next week I tried it out and loved it. Now I try to make it to every match I can, which isn't saying much. Between working full time, going to school full time, and raising a 3 year old by myself 50% of the time, match time is limited at best ha

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Many people find it easier to make excuses than to go up to the line and make ready.

People afraid of looking bad in public just don't come out and try it. Many people think they need to get "good" then try it. That is the wrong approach.
    This is absolute truth.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

It's fortunate that I have zero fear of looking bad in public.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    AB,
    I remember you from Appleseed at Atterbury! You were great and helped me out with some things there. You will have no problem with this type of shooting. I say this based on your background, and knowing that you know how to handle yourself with a gun pretty good anyways.

I think you will enjoy it and look forward to seeing you at a match someday!
    I am having a blast with USPSA! Send me a PM with your real name and which matches I can find you at. It's always good to see familiar faces! And I do so love Atterbury. Machine gun fire in the distance, check fires for planes and berm fires... lol!

It's fortunate that I have zero fear of looking bad in public.
    It certainly makes things easier, huh? ;) I'm not afraid of looking bad. If I was I sure wouldn't have started out competing on this injured knee. What moron does that? This moron, apparently. :laugh:

Top Bottom