• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Toying with putting an optic on a CZ 85.

Any thoughts on;

1. Whether the provisional division is likely to stay around?

2. An optic that works well and lasts long time?

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    I would say it's not going anywhere. And it seems like Deltapoint pros are popular. I'd also consider vortex since their warranty is so good- at least you'd know if it did die you'd be able to replace it easily. I just picked up a Trijicon RMR from cabelas, the adjustable dot gen1 models are for sale for $350 currently. I don't have experience with that model yet but trijicon is a brand from which I'd expect very high quality.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Toying with putting an optic on a CZ 85.

Any thoughts on;

1. Whether the provisional division is likely to stay around?

2. An optic that works well and lasts long time?

I couldn't say if it is here to stay. I enjoy it. Of course I carry a pistol with an optic on it everyday, so there is that. I much prefer my Delta point pro for gaming over my RMR that I carry. The window on the Delta is big. Did not care for my Vortex for a number of reasons. For most people the drawback to the Delta point seems to be battery life. I know people who replace the battery after every match. I have shot about 5 or 6 matches with mine now and I would have to look it up but about 7,000 rounds of ammo in the last 6 months and have replaced the battery once.

I have to say the division is not as popular as I thought it would be. I know a few people who have tried it and went back to production. Mostly because they were having a hard time finding the dot. These were B class shooters who have been competing with irons for a looong time.

Last edited:

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It seems like something you have to invest time and effort in as well as the initial cost.
    I occasionally shoot my Vortex equipped Q5 at steel matches and it seems to help with my accuracy at greater distances but slows me down a bit on the close stuff.
    I would guess if you shot a couple thousand rounds with one and then went back to irons you'd want the dot back even if you didn't like it at first.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...I have to say the division is not as popular as I thought it would be. I know a few people who have tried it and went back to production. Mostly because they were having a hard time finding the dot. These were B class shooters who have been competing with irons for a looong time.

Yeah, I've never shot it, but have no desire to. Could you imagine what participation would be if they didn't allow loading magazines to capacity? I could see it being more popular if the sport were more accuracy-oriented, but with a rule system that stresses speed more, it's probably not going to be as attractive for the average guy (unless he can attach it to a shoulder-fired weapon that holds a whole box of ammo). It requires the addition of an extra pistol shooting skill-set on top of something that is hard enough already. I think the concept of the equipment itself will help sell a fair number of guns; but that's provided the people buying them never get close to actually trying them under match conditions. If everyone were required to shoot a USPSA stage with an optic-ready pistol before they could buy it, it might well drive sales the other way.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Actually it's pretty much Production with the optic added, it still has the 10 round cap. If CO sticks around I will shoot it.
    I just shot my first Uspsa last weekend and wanted to have the luxury of having the chance of running the stages with only one mag change so I chose limited.
    As I get older and my eyesight get worse I believe the dot sight will make more sense, whether it be CO or open.
    The reality is the guys that want to get over the training hump of the dot will benefit from it. If that's incorrect all the Open guys are doing it wrong :)

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Also I don't believe it has had enough time to tell. I just bought an 320 X5 and am still trying to get the dot worked out. Also the wife just bought a Q5 Match and the dot just went on that one. No were not ready but getting close.

I think in time it will get more following from the current USPSA guy and gals and you may start seeing some of the 3 guns and tac guys coming in. I have already.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Actually it's pretty much Production with the optic added, it still has the 10 round cap. If CO sticks around I will shoot it.
    I just shot my first Uspsa last weekend and wanted to have the luxury of having the chance of running the stages with only one mag change so I chose limited.
    As I get older and my eyesight get worse I believe the dot sight will make more sense, whether it be CO or open.
    The reality is the guys that want to get over the training hump of the dot will benefit from it. If that's incorrect all the Open guys are doing it wrong :)

CO can now fill the mags fully, they just recently changed it.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Carry Optics will grow and survive and be another division that can look down on revolver.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It would be an interesting experiment to shoot Limited 10 and CO back to back after an equal amount of practice with both.
    Unfortunately I just bought a race holster so that probably won't happen soon :)

If I had the inclination to shoot Production or Limited 10 I would just shoot CO instead.

Back to the OPs question, I have 1500+ rounds through my Vortex equipped pistol with no battery change or issues

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Carry Optics will grow and survive and be another division that can look down on revolver.

CO is already looking down on Revo. I think in a year or two it will be the same or more popular than SS.

It would be an interesting experiment to shoot Limited 10 and CO back to back after an equal amount of practice with both.
    Unfortunately I just bought a race holster so that probably won't happen soon :)

If I had the inclination to shoot Production or Limited 10 I would just shoot CO instead.

Back to the OPs question, I have 1500+ rounds through my Vortex equipped pistol with no battery change or issues

L10 should not be recognized in free states.

Top Bottom