Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I worked and shot the Area 5 Steel Challenge match this past weekend. I was unable to shoot with staff because I was busy educating the youth of America. There was a shooter on Friday afternoon who created quite a buzz. He asked every RO to not announce his score verbally but to show the person on the nook. He shot again on Saturday while I was working and repeated his request.

What are you reactions to this situation?

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    I worked and shot the Area 5 Steel Challenge match this past weekend. I was unable to shoot with staff because I was busy educating the youth of America. There was a shooter on Friday afternoon who created quite a buzz. He asked every RO to not announce his score verbally but to show the person on the nook. He shot again on Saturday while I was working and repeated his request.

What are you reactions to this situation?

Thats annoying.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Receiving your steel times through a different sensory input channel than what you use during training, will get you killed in the streets. Everybody knows that :tinfoil:

(I'd draw the line if he asks you to attach the Kindle to his pants pocket, though...)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Long as it doesn't create too much overhead I don't see the issue. Really I don't see the issue of announcing the time, isn't the time going to be displayed online?

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Was he slow? Did he miss alot?

I dunno, seems kinda weird to me. I don't give a crap who hears my awful times. I do want to them to my great times though.....just saying.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The shooter was very good. GM in some divisions. I had never heard of him before.

Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    This is more common than you might think. I don't mind it as long as my scorekeeper puts in the correct times and things run at the same pace.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Either all times should be announced or no times should be announced. He knew what times he had to beat but his competitors didn't know if they needed to step it up a notch to catch him. That gives him an unfair competitive advantage.

Additionally, not announcing the times reduces the transparency of the scoring process. If only two people know the shooter's time then it is easier for collusion to occur. If everybody hears the time then people have the opportunity to say "Wait a minute, he was fast but not that fast". We don't want a repeat of the -2 sec incident. I'm not saying or implying that the scorekeepers colluded with the shooter in this instance, but a secret time makes it possible.

I announce times and scores loudly so the Nook operator can hear them clearly over gunfire from adjacent bays and so everyone else can hear them and be confident that I am not trying to influence the outcome of a match.

Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    Coach, maybe I misread your post. Did the shooter not want to know any or the scores, or did they want to see the nook after every string?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Either all times should be announced or no times should be announced. He knew what times he had to beat but his competitors didn't know if they needed to step it up a notch to catch him. That gives him an unfair competitive advantage.

If it is an advantage, apparently he was the only one savvy enough to ask for it and I do not know of any rule against it. Savvy stuff is generally allowed in the shooting sports, when legal and practical shooter preferences are generally permitted.

In other words, I do not think I would have the authority to say no based upon rules & customs.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    ...In other words, I do not think I would have the authority to say no based upon rules & customs.

I don't have as much experience with Steel Challenge but I would have a problem honoring that request without a ruling by the CRO or RM. It places the RO in a position of having their integrity challenged.

Would a golf tournament post everyone's scores except for Tiger's and then announce at the end who won? In pretty much every sport except for Boxing you know your score and your competitors score all the way through the contest.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    When at most major steel matches there is a separate timer
    hanging where everyone can see it. SOO it's not about his competitors
    hearing/seeing his time. This particular shooter just wants to hear
    the standard range commands only, I can only assume he can focus
    or concentrate better. If the separate scoreboard was hanging where everyone could see
    then it would take some of the liability off the RO .

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I would decline his request. Saying the time and hearing it back is how I know the correct score was entered. Sounds like someone wants special snowflake status....

-rvb

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Coach, maybe I misread your post. Did the shooter not want to know any or the scores, or did they want to see the nook after every string?

This. Did HE not want to know his score, or was it to prevent everyone else from knowing it. I don't know if that actually changes anythingin this conversation but I'm curious.

Top Bottom