Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    1) Shooting steel challenge with a center fire pistol is hard. Not very many people do it. Fewer people do it well.
    2) There needs to be a different certification for those Range Officers.
    3) Steel Challenge is good practice.
    4) Being a Range Officer for Steel Challenge is not a physically demanding as for USPSA.
    5) Steel Challenge is largely a rimfire event.
    6) I was proud to see the Area 5 Director show up to the match.
    7) Not as much cross over from USPSA shooters as their should be for this match.
    8) The Indiana Staff as per normal did a great job with the match.
    9) Cowboy is a lot louder when he gets some sleep before the match.
    10) Some people take themselves way to seriously.
    11) Three minutes to make ready for less that 3 seconds of shooting is silly.
    12) Steel Challenge rules might need some tweaking.
    13) I think two more stages need to be added. I think they should look or be in the same range of difficulty as Roundabout.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The points I found interesting were 1,5,7, and 11. I don't shoot it, but it looks like 53% rimfire entries for this match, according to Practiscore.

Do the rules really allow 3 minutes to get your poop in a scoop and get ready to shoot?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There is no time limited to get ready. Some shooters make it a real ordeal. Moving your .22 pistol from the flag to the first plate 50 times takes a little while.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    There is no time limited to get ready. Some shooters make it a real ordeal. Moving your .22 pistol from the flag to the first plate 50 times takes a little while.

Hell, I make ready and make sure that the dot is on then time to go. These guys that got to do a pre start dance that lasts a minute or more should be penalized with two or three seconds added to their start time. It's freaking steel challenge, hell they ought to do that to USPSA as well.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    not only did we have Area 5 Director Rick Steele we had Steel Challenge coordinator Zack Jones and his wife Donna doing stats for the match.

Steel Challenge is fun and it is a challenge.

as usual the indiana staff did a great job. we had help from a cro from michigan and our range master came from Illinois.

we bobbled a couple things but we learned from it and it will make the match better.

the new rules are open for discusson. if you have an idea share it!

check it out! Steel Challenge Shooting Association Home Page - US Practical Shooting Assocation

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I should have went but traveling to shoot the same stages I shoot at my local range isn't as appealing as traveling for USPSA. USPSA stages and even the bays themselves are different and present different challenges. Steel challenge matches are just a bit to robotic. They should at least include some made up stages for variety and to remove the pre-programing.

I like shooting rimfire guns for two reasons. First, it's one of the few matches you can shoot rimfire in and they are fun. Second, I can be lazy and have no belt/equipment on.

Kudos to Riley for stepping up and having an Area steel match. I had not heard of that before. Are there any other Area steel matches?

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    I should have went but traveling to shoot the same stages I shoot at my local range isn't as appealing as traveling for USPSA. USPSA stages and even the bays themselves are different and present different challenges. Steel challenge matches are just a bit to robotic. They should at least include some made up stages for variety and to remove the pre-programing.

I like shooting rimfire guns for two reasons. First, it's one of the few matches you can shoot rimfire in and they are fun. Second, I can be lazy and have no belt/equipment on.

Kudos to Riley for stepping up and having an Area steel match. I had not heard of that before. Are there any other Area steel matches?

first and only that i know of......so far

Top Bottom