• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Our next long range rifle match will be Saturday August 26. Registration until 10:15 followed by shooters meeting and then final zero for sight settings. Event starts at 11:00am.

Entry fees: $15-adult, Stand alone juniors-$10, Parent & child-$15

Payback based on number of entries (Lewis class style)

We had a great turnout at our June match, hope to see many returning faces and some new ones!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For those of us who aren't familiar with this, can you tell us where it is? Some of the details of the day? Thanks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Here is a link to June's match:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-rimfire-long-range-silhouette-june-25-a.html

A summary description from the initial match:

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Hawkeye7br

Riley Conservation Club will be hosting a long range .22 rimfire silhouette (critter targets) event on Sunday April 30. I shot a high power event like this while on vacation and had a blast. We're down sizing it to rimfire to fit our range.

The purpose of this shoot is to simulate what might be encountered during a varmint hunt, with targets of various shapes/sizes and various distances within a specified time frame. This is an accuracy oriented event with a reasonable time element.

Format: 22 Long Rifle only, no 22 Mag or 17 caliber anything. Targets are sized and distanced in such a way that a 22 rimfire capable of 2 MOA can be competitive, so almost any Ruger, Remington, CZ etc is capable. One shot at each of 5 different targets at 3 different distances with 2:30 minutes. Total round count is 40, if time allows we can bump it to 60.

Knockdown targets will be at 75, 110, and 165 yards. You need a scope that tracks well and can elevate to shoot 165 yards (or use a 20 minute base, or shims, etc). Scoring is simple, target falls is a hit, all else are misses.

Shooting position is prone with bipod or clothing filled backpack. No sandbags, slings, or rear support other than the shooters hand/arm. No heavy glove or other accessory aid. Physically challenged shooters who are unable to shoot prone may shoot from a seated bench.

Shooters will be squaded. When not firing, shooters will be expected to spot/score for other shooters in their squad. This helps encourage single shooters to participate. We can accommodate 5 squads at one time.

A 20 minute sight in period will be allowed prior to shooting for score. This allows a quick check of scope zero at each distance.

The desire is to put semi-autos, bolt guns, and single shots on an equal playing field within the 2:30 minute time frame. As such, all rifles will be loaded/fired as single shots.

$15 entry fee, Lewis class payback (payback schedule will be posted day of match). The Lewis payback allows lesser skilled shooters to share some of the pot.

10:15 am Registration closes, shooter meeting, rules, announcements
    10:30 am Sighting in period
    10:50 am Reset & paint targets
    11:00 am Shoot for score

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Description above is still accurate. I am considering dropping the single shot loading requirement to better include folks who want to shoot a Marlin model 60 or other tube fed rifle. I concede the loading ports of some 22 rifles are not very conducive to single shot feeding of cartridges. For those who shoot this event (or want to) what are your thoughts on this??

With squading, everyone will finish shooting within about 30 minutes of each other. We put away the guns, tally up the results and have a quick recap meeting to announce results and pass out cash awards. The payout schedule is well received, I've gotten really good feedback from local shooters on it. In June, we had 18 shooters and paid 1st, 6th, 11th, & 15th place. This creates an instant classification and rewards the winners asap. Match runs about 3 hours.

The next 2 matches will probably lack the 4H kids that have school sports, but we're picking up some others. Couple of prairie dog hunters from Bloomington are going to join us, and some additional locals.

We had a practice match on Friday for us retired guys. 6 shooters, my 32x40 was good enough for 3rd. Newbie shooters are realizing budget ammo isn't good enough and moving up to Geco or Wolf. We're gonna have a whole lotta fun on the 26th.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I am considering dropping the single shot loading requirement to better include folks who want to shoot a Marlin model 60 or other tube fed rifle. I concede the loading ports of some 22 rifles are not very conducive to single shot feeding of cartridges. For those who shoot this event (or want to) what are your thoughts on this??

Well, I don't think I care. The thing is, there are a few factors at play:

1) Wind. There are precious few wind indicators on the range that can be trusted and observed quickly enough to make an adjustment, and the range is heavily sheltered anyway. So while shooting faster is certainly a good strategy in long range events, I don't think it is really a decisive advantage.

2) Tied into the above is the Course of Fire. In that you are engaging targets on multiple yardlines in the same string, again, a magazine is not going to change that transition that much. Much as you do--just not AS much--I shoot "Real" rimfire Silo. I've shot it from Mag, and I've shot it off the block. Truthfully, I don't think it matters...how I am FOCUSED that day is what determines hit counts.

On the other hand, it IS good dexterity practice for guys that don't have 10's of thousands of rounds loaded with their fingertips. I can (and did) totally understand that loading a 10-22 is a real PITA without a mag. That being said, rifle choice is their choice (but you still want to be inclusive of people that want 'casual fun match' and not have to have a rifle to buy....that's a way to kill a games match).

I'd let them load from mag. Nobody will beat me by having their rifle load itself, same as I won't beat anybody just because I load singly (or I use my mags). It's a non-thing to me, and if it can be less frustrating for the box mag guys, so be it.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Plan on shooting everything inside 2 MOA. At that, you will still miss some, but not by a lot.

Irons would be a real challenge. Not impossible, and the targets are big enough to see, but the targets are white against a light sand background.

I may try it, but only for giggles.

-Nate

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The game is designed for scopes. A 5 inch target at 165 yards is pretty tough without crosshairs. There isn't much room for optical error. White targets are very hard to see with naked eyes.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Some of you who are shooting USPSA at Riley on Sunday should pack your rifle too. When you get done with pistol, swing by the rifle range. We're shooting handgun silhouette, but I'll put out swingers at 100m & 150m for you to practice on. Just have to follow our Fire/cease fire commands if other shooters are still on the line.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Some of you who are shooting USPSA at Riley on Sunday should pack your rifle too. When you get done with pistol, swing by the rifle range. We're shooting handgun silhouette, but I'll put out swingers at 100m & 150m for you to practice on. Just have to follow our Fire/cease fire commands if other shooters are still on the line.

Much appreciated Hawk! By 3 PM Sunday, I'll be ready to lay down ;).

Even though "silhouette" has a long tradition of single-loading, I think allowing mags is a good idea for _this_ event. On the premise that this is a "casual" match, anything you do to keep it from becoming a 10lb. single shot rifle match is probably good for participation in the long run. If you made a list of the top-5 most popular rimfire rifles, three of them probably cannot be effectively used in this match under current rules. I suspect the type of participant you're gunning for probably has a tricked-out 10-22 sitting at home somewhere, and would like to use it.

When trying to get something fun like this off the ground, the AR-22 and 10-22 guys are your friend...but it will only take one or two BR guys with heavy guns to kill it deader than a doornail.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Question...I noticed your 75 yd. bank is quite an angular swing away from the 110 & 165 meter berms...how do you work that during the match?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You swing the rifle over there, bang that target, and go back wherever else you need to go. Time keeps moving, no cease fire, shooters move through their set of targets at will. Scorers need to PAY ATTENTION to make sure the correct target for their shooter is still in place (ie: nobody else shot the wrong target).

-Nate

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The 75y targets are on a reset rack in a bank of 5. We put them on the rock road that runs south from the rifle line. The target rack is about 18 inches wide. Behind the targets, we create a temporary backstop of full size steel rams placed end to end. Low shots impact 6" channel iron under the targets, high or wide shots hit the steel rams. If you crank the turret the wrong way and totally blow the shot, bullet still impacts the west berm. This is the only target (you'll shoot it 8x) that does not have sand behind it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    So - you don't actually use the existing 75 yd. bank, which is a huuuuuge angular swing...and which answers my question. Got it...thanks!

(Do you get extra points for hitting wood bees?)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    So - you don't actually use the existing 75 yd. bank, which is a huuuuuge angular swing...

I don't know the range as well as you guys do, but I don't see the issue here?

The angular displacement is part of the game. You have 30 seconds per shot, so there's plenty of time.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    As stated above there's plenty of time to single feed and clear the course. I will agree that there's no advantage for a mag or tube feed over a single feed.
    I will also agree that a lot of folk own automatics and may be more inclined to participate if there were less stipulation. I'd be comfortable competing against any 22 rifle in any configuration.
    Bottom line is the more the merrier

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Except Mike. That guy's an a#$hole.;)

I won't be able to make this one. LR Champs at Atterbury must be fired upon.

Top Bottom