Any downside to zero pre-travel on a USPSA gun (real USPSA gun not PCC) ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    In order to grow as a shooter I think I need to really suck with a different platform, so I'm fiddling with a couple guns.

One has zero pre-travel which feels really good, not sure if I should keep it that way though. Anybody shooting a trigger like that in competition?

Concern is training myself not to prep the trigger/play with the pre-travel that ain't there and letting a round off ahead of the sight alignment, first shot is d.a. so nothing different there.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    In order to grow as a shooter I think I need to really suck with a different platform, so I'm fiddling with a couple guns.

law of averages? You get really bad with a different gun, so it all averages out with the other and you get better?

Is there any real advantage to "zero" pre-travel?
    I personally tend to think all that's over rated. I actually happen to like lots of take-up and over-travel. But I'm not normal in that regard (or many other regards!).

But safety and not break the shot unintentionally/early is up to you. Won't take long to figure out and get used to. So I would't say you "shouldn't" do it.

If the goal is short reset / faster splits, this won't do it for you, IMO. Trying to move the finger as little as possible usually results in trigger freeze and slower splits.

2c

-rvb

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    law of averages? You get really bad with a different gun, so it all averages out with the other and you get better?

Naw, take off from David Letterman's reason for switching networks way back when.

Won't take long to figure out and get used to. So I would't say you "shouldn't" do it.

Thanks! That is what I was really nosy about, it already is what it is (zero) and it feels good so if leaving it alone is not a bad idea then I'm not going to mess with it. Much much less painful to find these things out by asking sometimes.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I can't really see how this would be that much different than, say, a 1911 trigger on steroids. It would seem to be more of a quantitative move further along that same spectrum, as opposed to something qualitatively different.

Try it and see.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I can't really see how this would be that much different than, say, a 1911 trigger on steroids. It would seem to be more of a quantitative move further along that same spectrum, as opposed to something qualitatively different.

Try it and see.

see, he was talking about a "real" uspsa gun, and I was assuming 2011.....

-rvb

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I doubt very much that you would notice a difference shooting a gun with zero pretravel and one with a normal amount, assuming the weight and overall travel of the triggers are similar.

Nothing we do in USPSA is so "fine" that such things make any difference. Even the difficult shots we take aren't very precise compared to other disciplines. Typically when the shot presents itself we slap the trigger really fast and let off as fast as possible for the quickest possible follow up shot and slap it again. At that point the trigger doesn't make much difference as long as you can pull it without moving the rest of the gun. Lighter triggers make that easier, but worrying about minute differences between good/decent triggers won't get you anywhere IMO.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I doubt very much that you would notice a difference shooting a gun with zero pretravel and one with a normal amount, assuming the weight and overall travel of the triggers are similar.

It is kind of interesting. Have a gun and a back up gun that are identical as far as I can tell, except for a slight difference in pre-travel, shoot 1 for 100 rounds and then immediatly pick up the other & it will make you crazy.

I suspect you are right that you could get used to either & performance would be the same.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    25 years of shooting USPSA and tuning triggers!!!! The less take up the BETTER!!!! I set my pistols with .005 take up. Trigger jobs I have done for other also prefer very little take up. :rockwoot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

One has zero pre-travel which feels really good, not sure if I should keep it that way though. Anybody shooting a trigger like that in competition?

Concern is training myself not to prep the trigger/play with the pre-travel that ain't there and letting a round off ahead of the sight alignment, first shot is d.a. so nothing different there.

Depends on what type of gun too. With a 1911, if you remove all of the pretravel, other things that are on the edge can manifest. One is sometimes the disconnector won't reset.

Top Bottom