• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    The USPSA Indiana sectional at Riley and the Indiana State Steel challenge. Crickets, especially on the latter. What's going on? Is the word not spreading out far enough or are the notices are too close to match time? I tried to talk to as many shooters/RO that I met when I shot other places to shoot our Indiana matches.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The USPSA Indiana sectional at Riley and the Indiana State Steel challenge. Crickets, especially on the latter. What's going on? Is the word not spreading out far enough or are the notices are too close to match time? I tried to talk to as many shooters/RO that I met when I shot other places to shoot our Indiana matches.

They all quit and moved to the REAL sport. IDPA.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    They all quit and moved to the REAL sport. IDPA.

LOL. Shhhhhh.......you might hit someone's nerve.

Seems to be growing as far as i am concerned. I didn't personally shoot it however, SNS 400 was a huge turnout.

I'm referring the those 2 that I mentioned. The SNS 400 was hundred fewer participants from last year I believe but that might be because the other matches were too close together.

ScottCollins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    NWI
    Yeah i hear ya man. I think the steel practiscore hasnt been out long enough yet to gauge that, however i do think the uspsa match is kind of small so far. Its coming quick! Cant wait :)

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Kentucky State handgun championship (Oct. 6-7, Lexington) looks similar. Better #'s right now but match date is closer. Missouri State championship (this weekend) has a wait list and filled up fairly quickly I think.

My theory is that we are creatures of habit that are more often found at annual events that occur at about the same time each year.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Do you think some are moving to rifle?

We're seeing a lot more participation at almost all events. The NRA moving Nationals here didn't hurt either.

-Nate

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I can't make the Indiana Section Match, but I spoke to a couple of people that said and hour and 45 minutes to the match is not so bad, but after a match as large as the sectional match, you are exhausted and and hour and 45 minutes home is really tough. Keep in mind I was talking to some geezers like myself. The young bucks may not have that trouble.:fogey::coffee:

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    3 hours drive on top of an 8 stage match can be a struggle.

I believe a good part of the reason is your dead smack into the RUT!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I am sure you saw that according to the latest issue of Front Sight magazine, club numbers and overall member numbers are way up. Of course I don't know how this translates to match numbers, or a state by state basis. I know I haven't signed up for sectional yet because there is a class I am considering doing that weekend. The 4 hour drive is a bit of a pain, but doable, I drive farther than that for classes all of the time.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I personally will go to Steel Challenge over USPSA or IDPA just because it's not on Sunday morning. I don't know how much that gets in other peoples way, but i've chosen not to tag along with a buddy for both of the last two matches at Riley for that reason. But I'm not one who used to be there and dropped off either so it's hard to say.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its also possible its just a bad weekend for people. Our spring open shoot at Proteq was a bust. On top of the normal individual personal scheduling conflicts, there was also an AK build party and a training class that day that a lot of INGOers went to. That is what I know of for sure. There may have also been one or two other events that day but I dont recall exactly what they were.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think participation in the club level matches is a better indicator of the health of USPSA in Indiana than participation in the big matches. When all of the clubs start getting 10-20 people each month, then we'll have something to be sad about.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think participation in the club level matches is a better indicator of the health of USPSA in Indiana than participation in the big matches. When all of the clubs start getting 10-20 people each month, then we'll have something to be sad about.

Well a 2 hour match with all the same stages is better than a 5 hour match due to overstuffed squads. So there is that bright side... LOL

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    For me it boils down to pure economics. I understand that it is a 10 stage match but the $130.00 is a lot for me when a club 6 stage match is $20.00. I could shoot 2 local matches and buy the components to load for those 2 matches for the same money.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute

10-20 per month will be like the old days!!!
    Imho shooters are missing out on some fun parts of our sport if they don't travel to different clubs and partake in some of the bigger matches. Always something new to see,learn and enjoy.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It doesn't look to me like the club matches are hurting all that bad. As mentioned above, it may just be some dissatisfaction with the $130 matches. I shot one this year, and it really just didn't impress me compared to going to a club match, and I don't even shoot all that many of those. The less time you have left in life, the more it seems you value what you have. My job is mentally exhausting, and when I go to a match, I'm using a day driving, standing, or memorizing some kind of tedious memory stage. And for me, I would just rather practice, shoot my couple hundred rounds, and go home, and have time left in the day to do something with my family, or whatever. I'm not trying to beat the world, just keep developing as a shooter and check-in with a match every once in a while as a reality check to measure my progress. And I find I do not need a $130 or $260 or whatever match to accomplish that. The big matches do not give ROI on time and money spent for me, and that's just being honest.

When Camp Perry Pistol comes to Atterbury next year, I will probably spring for that, but that will only be because I can shoot a National Championship match for about the same cost as an Indiana 400, without having to drive all the way to the extreme end of the state for it and not have to rent a motel like going to Perry.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    10-20 per month will be like the old days!!!
    Imho shooters are missing out on some fun parts of our sport if they don't travel to different clubs and partake in some of the bigger matches. Always something new to see,learn and enjoy.

Fifteen shooters, three stages . . . everyone home by lunch time!

It doesn't look to me like the club matches are hurting all that bad. As mentioned above, it may just be some dissatisfaction with the $130 matches. I shot one this year, and it really just didn't impress me compared to going to a club match, and I don't even shoot all that many of those. The less time you have left in life, the more it seems you value what you have. My job is mentally exhausting, and when I go to a match, I'm using a day driving, standing, or memorizing some kind of tedious memory stage. And for me, I would just rather practice, shoot my couple hundred rounds, and go home, and have time left in the day to do something with my family, or whatever. I'm not trying to beat the world, just keep developing as a shooter and check-in with a match every once in a while as a reality check to measure my progress. And I find I do not need a $130 or $260 or whatever match to accomplish that. The big matches do not give ROI on time and money spent for me, and that's just being honest.

When Camp Perry Pistol comes to Atterbury next year, I will probably spring for that, but that will only be because I can shoot a National Championship match for about the same cost as an Indiana 400, without having to drive all the way to the extreme end of the state for it and not have to rent a motel like going to Perry.

The club matches aren't hurting at all. They're thriving at every club where I shoot and we have more clubs than at any point in history. USPSA club matches are doing better than ever in Indiana, which tells me that the sport is in great shape.

I won't speculate on attendance at big matches because I haven't shot in one for years. I can only say that they're not fun for me, which I realize is in contrast to almost every other shooter I know (I know a few). They're just too long and I don't enjoy it. In fact, some club matches are too long for me, especially when it's really hot.

Top Bottom