• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Shooting on 3rd Saturday of each month March thru October. June has 2 events, the 3rd Saturday will be an afternoon event starting about 4pm, and another on the 5th Saturday, June 30 at the regular time. Riley Conservation Club, located just east of Terre Haute. Sign up until 10:15am, sighters at 10:30, shoot for score at 11:00am.

March 17
    April 21
    May 19
    June 16 4pm
    June 30
    July 21
    Aug 18
    Sep 15
    Oct 20

Rich

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The link offers a good basic description, well worth reading. RCC website also has photo's & video showing size & distances to targets.

This match also could be described as a cross between silhouette and rimfire F-Class. It's a fun event, not cut-throat competition. Targets are challenging enough that we added a Novice class at our last match to let newcomers get their feet wet on an easier array of targets. Firing is done from a prone position but if old age or other physical ailments prevent you from going prone, we let those (PC=Physically Challenged) shooters fire from a bench.

Most common Rifles are CZ 452/455 and Savage Mk II. Optics are Vortex, Weaver, Nikon, etc. Ammo is usually mid-budget match type such as Norma Tac & Match 22, CCI SV, Wolf Match, etc. We have a 30 minute sight in period just prior to start of match to tweak your scope settings. Great format for husband/wife or Dads with kids.

On a side note, similar events using high power rifles, targets, and distances, has been televised on Shooting USA. This match is scaled to fit our facility.

Specific questions? am happy to respond.

On another note, it has been suggested that we put in a sand backstop at 200 yards and offer targets at that distance for our more skilled shooters. Any thoughts on that??

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    The link offers a good basic description, well worth reading. RCC website also has photo's & video showing size & distances to targets.

This match also could be described as a cross between silhouette and rimfire F-Class. It's a fun event, not cut-throat competition. Targets are challenging enough that we added a Novice class at our last match to let newcomers get their feet wet on an easier array of targets. Firing is done from a prone position but if old age or other physical ailments prevent you from going prone, we let those (PC=Physically Challenged) shooters fire from a bench.

Most common Rifles are CZ 452/455 and Savage Mk II. Optics are Vortex, Weaver, Nikon, etc. Ammo is usually mid-budget match type such as Norma Tac & Match 22, CCI SV, Wolf Match, etc. We have a 30 minute sight in period just prior to start of match to tweak your scope settings. Great format for husband/wife or Dads with kids.

On a side note, similar events using high power rifles, targets, and distances, has been televised on Shooting USA. This match is scaled to fit our facility.

Specific questions? am happy to respond.

On another note, it has been suggested that we put in a sand backstop at 200 yards and offer targets at that distance for our more skilled shooters. Any thoughts on that??

Sounds like fun! Would a s&w mp15-22 performance center model with match barrel be ok i can ping 12x18" steel at 200yds?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    A buddy of mine took me to this range a couple years ago. I was pinging the targets at the 200 yd mark. That was a good time.
    If a 10/22 is fine, I'd like to come out and do this.
    Also, what seems to be the typical crowd size?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Sounds like fun! Would a s&w mp15-22 performance center model with match barrel be ok i can ping 12x18" steel at 200yds?

I'm sure it would. At worst, it would give you a reason to buy a new rig to compete at the level you want to obtain. Check the photos from the link provided by Litlratt. There is a great sequence of photos (captioned with the target distance) of the targets and a pop can to give them proportion. The match results page shows scores and equipment.

Typical crowd is about 17. We can easily accommodate more. Match takes about 3 hours.

A quick word to newbies, I'm sure the veterans will agree. This event is designed to be fun and allow most shooters to hit 50-70% of the targets, but the degree of difficulty makes a perfect score a challenge that will require you to work diligently to achieve. That's why we created a Novice class (your choice to enter or shoot standard class) with a bit larger targets and an easier format to get your feet wet. Like trapshooting where lots of shooters score 15-20, not so many regularly at 20+, and very few run 25 straight. Certainly nobody should expect to do it on their first time out.

Hope you continue to follow this event and we see you in the spring. If you want a full rules/format, pm me with an email & I'll send you an updated version.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So this is a reminder that I need to get a decent scope with repeatable adjustments, put it on my Mk II, and build a dope card with some subsonic ammo. In addition to making this game possible, it will also help for any precision shooting including popping squirrels and other vermin.

So it is about 6 months of a muzzle loader matches.

810652_1.jpg

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So this is a reminder that I need to get a decent scope with repeatable adjustments, put it on my Mk II, and build a dope card with some subsonic ammo. In addition to making this game possible, it will also help for any precision shooting including popping squirrels and other vermin.

810652_1.jpg
    Repeatability is overrated.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Well hopefully I'll make it down to a match, I have Burris inserts with 20 MOA adjustment, so I should have plenty of "clicks" left for the 165 yd.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    Ok group i know nothing about precision .22 rifle shooting!! I need some education on it.
    1. is the 10/22 platform capable of desired accuracy with heavy bull barrel? "accuracy needed for riley"
    2. what is the most desired magnification of optics for the distances shot at Riley?
    thanks or any info, i might try one of these events next season.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    1) Yes, although most people shoot a bolt gun for a variety of personal reasons.

2) 10x-12x is fine. Target turrets, finger adjustable. A lot of us run something with mil-dots or hash marks and utilize hold-over or hold-under.

Best advice is to shoot what you have at a match or practice, shoot other guys guns, then you can gear up to your personal desire. The format (rotating shooters) allows you to share a gun during the match.

Top Bottom