• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    In preparation for 2018 season, please list out your favorite IDPA Stage / Course. I realize it’s not the easiest task to describe an IDPA course, but please give it a try. I’m looking for ideas for this year. Thanks in advance!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Mine is usually described as an elevator opening to reveal three targets at arm's length distance, two rounds each from retention. This is the type COF I really enjoy, close, fast, not much movement and no reload even for those of us that shoot wheel guns. Jim.

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    In preparation for 2018 season, please list out your favorite IDPA Stage / Course. I realize it’s not the easiest task to describe an IDPA course, but please give it a try. I’m looking for ideas for this year. Thanks in advance!

There are no "qualifiers" in IDPA.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm with 04FX. I dont recall the stage name but its based on an off duty cop pumping gas and he is attacked by 3 guys. Two double stacks of barrels placed 3-4' apart. P1 is between the barrels. (you are sandwiched between your car and the pump) T1 is 3' beyond the barrel. T2 and T3 are at 45s behind the barrels on either side at 45* facing the shooter about 6' away from P1. (you can see all 3 from P1)

At the start, engage T1 from retention with 2 shots. Then shoot T2 and T3 with 2 shots each freestyle.

Its a FAAAAST CoF. Typically sub 5 seconds.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    I'm with 04FX. I dont recall the stage name but its based on an off duty cop pumping gas and he is attacked by 3 guys. Two double stacks of barrels placed 3-4' apart. P1 is between the barrels. (you are sandwiched between your car and the pump) T1 is 3' beyond the barrel. T2 and T3 are at 45s behind the barrels on either side at 45* facing the shooter about 6' away from P1. (you can see all 3 from P1)

At the start, engage T1 from retention with 2 shots. Then shoot T2 and T3 with 2 shots each freestyle.

Its a FAAAAST CoF. Typically sub 5 seconds.

Haven’t seen that one. Sounds like one to try this year. I’ll see if I can find a reference for it - thanks!

Appreciate the elevator suggestion. We run that a couple times a year. I agree, it’s a fan favorite.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Mine is usually described as an elevator opening to reveal three targets at arm's length distance, two rounds each from retention. This is the type COF I really enjoy, close, fast, not much movement and no reload even for those of us that shoot wheel guns. Jim.

I really dislike IDPA stages that specify shooting "from retention." The mandated position doesn't bear much (any) resemblance to any practical retention shooting position. We should either call it "shooting with your elbow touching your body" and leave it at that or specify a reasonable retention position. "Retention" suggests protecting (retaining) the gun from someone who may try to take it from you at contact distance. Elbow on your torso and the gun sticking out in one hand is pretty much the opposite of that concept.

In fact, if we call it "shooting with one hand with your elbow touching your body" I have zero complaints.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Haven’t seen that one. Sounds like one to try this year. I’ll see if I can find a reference for it - thanks!

Appreciate the elevator suggestion. We run that a couple times a year. I agree, it’s a fan favorite.

Check with Joe@ AAC. That is where I shot it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I really dislike IDPA stages that specify shooting "from retention." The mandated position doesn't bear much (any) resemblance to any practical retention shooting position. We should either call it "shooting with your elbow touching your body" and leave it at that or specify a reasonable retention position. "Retention" suggests protecting (retaining) the gun from someone who may try to take it from you at contact distance. Elbow on your torso and the gun sticking out in one hand is pretty much the opposite of that concept.

In fact, if we call it "shooting with one hand with your elbow touching your body" I have zero complaints.

Funny, "Shooting from retention" is pretty much a globally accepted term for what you (we) described by every trainer I know. Not sure why you have a problem with the term. You are retaining control by holding it close instead of extending your arms out, potentially within easy reach of them. By not extending your arms you are retaining control of the firearm. Is your definition of retention where we have to swing our purse at them with our support hand to keep them away? :):

What is your definition of shooting from retention if the professionals are all wrong?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Funny, "Shooting from retention" is pretty much a globally accepted term for what you (we) described by every trainer I know. Not sure why you have a problem with the term. You are retaining control by holding it close instead of extending your arms out, potentially within easy reach of them. By not extending your arms you are retaining control of the firearm. Is your definition of retention where we have to swing our purse at them with our support hand to keep them away? :):

What is your definition of shooting from retention if the professionals are all wrong?

We must know different trainers. I know a few.

Retention positions universally have the shooting hand/gun in contact with the body somewhere, typically either using the thumb of the shooting hand or the base of the magazine somewhere in contact with the body to assist with indexing the muzzle.

The elbow is almost always sticking back away from the body when in such a position.

The position specified by IDPA stages is the opposite. Elbow touching body has the gun sticking out away from the body.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We must know different trainers. I know a few.

Retention positions universally have the shooting hand/gun in contact with the body somewhere, typically either using the thumb of the shooting hand or the base of the magazine somewhere in contact with the body to assist with indexing the muzzle.

The elbow is almost always sticking back away from the body when in such a position.

The position specified by IDPA stages is the opposite. Elbow touching body has the gun sticking out away from the body.

Point taken. But yes, when playing games, the rules do change a little. Just roll with it. (as I recall I shot that stage with my position somewhere in the middle)

You probably complain that round jelly filled "donuts" are really called Bismarcks too? :stickpoke: :p

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

I'm just presuming and not that I don't disagree with you but it is probably one of the safer ways to have somewhat of a shot with the weapon close. We all have seen people lose their coordination when that buzzer goes off. Also as an agency trainer I've seen anything lot of folks that have been through an actual firearm training course though not stay up I wouldn't be comfortable having them do the same higher speed stuff we trained SORT teams to do.

The public isn't any different, you have some that would be fine and some probably not, keep it somewhere in the middle and problems (DQ or injury) is low

JMHO.

Now my favorite stage is forget the name believe it's called Bank heist but am still learning the stages

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Here, here. Or is it hear, hear?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm just presuming and not that I don't disagree with you but it is probably one of the safer ways to have somewhat of a shot with the weapon close. We all have seen people lose their coordination when that buzzer goes off. Also as an agency trainer I've seen anything lot of folks that have been through an actual firearm training course though not stay up I wouldn't be comfortable having them do the same higher speed stuff we trained SORT teams to do.

The public isn't any different, you have some that would be fine and some probably not, keep it somewhere in the middle and problems (DQ or injury) is low

JMHO.

Now my favorite stage is forget the name believe it's called Bank heist but am still learning the stages

Agreed that shooting from a retention position isn't a great idea for people who haven't learned how to do it safely. I'm actually not advocating incorporating it into IDPA matches. I'm just expressing my preference that they cease and desist calling it "shoot from retention" because it's nothing like shooting from retention.

I realize that IDPA isn't comprehensive training, but there will be people who believe that it really is shooting from retention and will be led to the mistaken conclusion that it's a good idea to shoot that way when an attacker is within touching distance. Teaching them that having your elbow against your rib cage and the gun sticking out in front of you like an old west gun fighter is somehow shooting from retention is doing them a disservice. Ideally they'd all get training an know better, but that won't happen.

All I ask: call it something different. I don't have a problem with shooting from that position in a match or anyone else doing it. Just call it something else.

Here, here. Or is it hear, hear?

I had to google it! Apparently the saying is an abbreviation of "Hear him! Hear him!"

I avoid it by saying, "What he said!!"

Top Bottom