• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For the sake of this poll:

USPSA Shooter = has shot at least 12 sanctioned USPSA matches and typically shoots at least 6 matches per year

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I don't currently shoot much USPSA, hope to change that this year, but back in the day, many of us kept our carry guns on and strapped the competition gun on for the match. Of course, that meant that most of us were carrying two 1911's for the day....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    6 matches a year? Most real USPSA shooters try to make at least matches a month plus actual productive dry fire practice. People like me roll out of bed once a month, has to stop by McDs for a sausage biscuit and coffee. Probably cleaned their gun and had to load a couple hundred rounds the night before. Feels it is a successful match so long as we didn’t forget our magazines or holster.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I shoot a full sized government model 1911 in competition and I carry a bobtail commander 1911 as an EDC, I like to keep my platforms consistent.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    6 matches a year? Most real USPSA shooters try to make at least matches a month plus actual productive dry fire practice. People like me roll out of bed once a month, has to stop by McDs for a sausage biscuit and coffee. Probably cleaned their gun and had to load a couple hundred rounds the night before. Feels it is a successful match so long as we didn’t forget our magazines or holster.

That was a semi-arbitrary number. I just wanted to make sure the poll is focused on people who did or do shoot USPSA, not people who tried a match or two and will never do it again.

To me, the day is a success if I don't get hurt and I don't hurt anyone else. Everything else is gravy!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't currently shoot much USPSA, hope to change that this year, but back in the day, many of us kept our carry guns on and strapped the competition gun on for the match. Of course, that meant that most of us were carrying two 1911's for the day....

I really should have started in 1983.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am often amazed at how many USPSA competitors show up and leave without carry guns.

I’m not. I can think of some very successful USPSA shooters who I would never take with me to a “gun fight”. I can think of people who I would trust my family to without question who I would not “sponsor” as part of a shooting team. I can think of people who would be great either way. Incidentally all of these hypothetical people are accomplished shooters with a lot to offer the shooting community.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Once I learned that competition will get us killed in the real world, I learned to stay in my lane. Surely no true ipsicker would endanger themselves in this way. I'm shocked and appalled at the current poll results.

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am also amazed at how few USPSA competitors actually ever compete with their so called carry guns.

Indeed. And those who do who don't ever use their carry holsters.

I get wanting to maximize match performance with a Production Division or Single Stack Division race holster/rig, but I'm surprised that most of people who use those holsters in matches never or rarely shoot a match with the same holster they use for carry just for practice or fun.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I am also amazed at how few USPSA competitors actually ever compete with their so called carry guns.

ok, i'l bite. what is a "so called" carry gun? implying they don't really get carried?

Does same style count, eg G34 or G35 vs G19? Been a while since carry gun was shot in a match but I have, incl a state match. ok, my other carry gun, the J-frame, has not been shot in a match. I have used that at our club practice nights which was kinda sorta fun-ish, except reloading the stupid thing.

Indeed. And those who do who don't ever use their carry holsters.

I get wanting to maximize match performance with a Production Division or Single Stack Division race holster/rig, but I'm surprised that most of people who use those holsters in matches never or rarely shoot a match with the same holster they use for carry just for practice or fun.

meh, a few draws @ home w/ the blue gun from time to time and good to go. a different holster isn't rocket surgery or brain science to draw from, might as well use the faster / more consistent gun bucket for match day...

-rvb

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Shoot carry guns at uspsa? Carry guns sucks. LOL. Manufacturers won't make carry guns tuned for competition for liability purposes. Two different applications IMO. That's why there's IDPA for that.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My bet is that mostly only the people who actually carry are going to answer this, and most of them are going to fib a little. Like the ones who say I carry everywhere where it is legal, except at work. Well count up the hours in a week and that would mean you don't carry most of the time.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    ^I know some are just saying that but are actually carrying at work. Job security pays the bills. This is where conceal means conceal.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I am often amazed at how many USPSA competitors show up and leave without carry guns.

I try to make it a consistent habit to leave my carry gun in the car. Do not want a silly dq or cold range rules violation and tend to feel pretty safe on the range, bad guy shows up and folks are going to be competing for best group size and split times.

Top Bottom