• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Our first match is a scant 4 weeks away. We've had a lot of questions over the winter, it looks like folks are gearing up to have fun. We're hoping to average 20+ shooters per match this year.

On a related note, Riley Conservation Club approved building a 200 yard SAND berm that will allow us to move targets out farther and still spot impacts from misses. Hopefully, that will be ready for the May match. The additional distance requires alterations to the match format. Still following the format from the hipower match I attended, not all shooters get to play at the extreme distance. I'm thinking of copying their Master class that will forgo the 75y target and replace it with one at 200y. To get into Master Class, a shooter must have 2 scores of 35+ (87%) on the standard course. Not to be an a$$, but if you're only hitting half the targets on the Standard course, harder targets are futile. This provides an incentive to shoot regularly to get yourself into Master Class. Those shooters will have 8 targets at 200y in place of the 8 targets at 75y.

The Novice class is still in play and a great way to introduce newer shooters with a more shooter friendly array of targets.

Thoughts??

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Good question!!

At the last match, the Novice class was it's own group. Being small, the payout just goes to 1st place. I'm thinking that reward may be just a flat amount regardless of the number of Novice shooters and a big payout is a disincentive to move into Standard Course. Or simply not give a payout to Novice, since there is no expectation of winning when you're just there to experience the event.

But for Master class, it almost penalizes someone if there aren't at least 4 entries in Master. We may have to modify the payout for Standard Course to help subsidize Master class if there are few Master shooters and no Novice entries.

If there is only one Master shooter, I'm ok with them shooting the Standard course, but that takes away the purpose of the 200y targets.

Open to ideas (and we may end up with a combination of ideas), I'm sure there is an easy and equitable way to do this.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Can we stay in Novice if we're chasing the elusive"40"?

Not in Novice.

If you meant Standard course I would say GO FOR IT! I'd rather have a 40 in Standard than a 35 in Master.

Ultimately, I hope we're headed for 3 classes: Novice, Standard, and Master. Just want to get ahead and have a plan for when that day gets here. Where's that stinkin Optimism emoji when I need it.....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You smarter people than me need to figure out the scoring/payback. Glad you are discussing it.

As a two time money winner that wasn't a score sheet winner, I can say that the structured payback system is quite an incentive. :spend:

The idea that one might kinda break even for the day financially by a random spot on the score sheet is big. Almost as big as trying to make it to the top to see what it's like to profit on the day. :rockwoot:

Also makes it easier to throw more bucks in the target re-setter's tip jar...

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Showing up to shoot is fine.

Insider secret;
    We set up the evening before. Besides lightening the load on the match director, thus insuring this sport continues to thrive, it gives a detailed understanding of all the mechanics involved. Also an oportunity to practice with the actual match setup.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I'm planning on coming out to this event, however I have a few questions.
    1- Do I have to be a member at the Club prior to coming out?
    2- How long do these events usually last?
    3- If I'm not a member but can still come out for the event, can I also come out on Friday for the practice stuff? And what time do things close down on Friday?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Am now looking at simply adding targets at 200y (when the berm is complete) and offering a different course of fire for those who want to play at that distance. Essentially, anyone that has shot 30+ (a reasonable qualifier IMHO) on the standard course would have a choice of shooting Course A out to 165y or Course B with targets out to 200y. This would open up the chance to shoot to 200y under match conditions to more people, and simply base it on their choice on any given day of which targets they want to attempt.

Payback for each course is independent of each other. Not mandatory to move up to harder targets.

Novice class remains the same for newbies.

Looking for feedback from participants or likely participants.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Am now looking at simply adding targets at 200y (when the berm is complete) and offering a different course of fire for those who want to play at that distance. Essentially, anyone that has shot 30+ (a reasonable qualifier IMHO) on the standard course would have a choice of shooting Course A out to 165y or Course B with targets out to 200y. This would open up the chance to shoot to 200y under match conditions to more people, and simply base it on their choice on any given day of which targets they want to attempt.

Payback for each course is independent of each other. Not mandatory to move up to harder targets.

Novice class remains the same for newbies.

Looking for feedback from participants or likely participants.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

rcs36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Will the targets at the 200 yrd range be bigger than the ones at the 165 yrd range? If so, do they still need to be knocked down or just hit?

Top Bottom