Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It is almost scary to ask. But tell me what you think. I would like to know what people who have shot the match think. Anything and everything is in play. Be as constructive as possible but let it out.

I only have one feeling and it is buried deep inside. I am not planning on making changes until I run the match at Riley on March 31st. But I am starting to think about things now. I want your honest input.

Should we do this during the warm months?

What night of the week is best?

Distance of targets?

Strong hand or Weak hand how much is best?

Would a meg stage be a good idea? (meaning 18 rounds with no mandatory reload) How often?

What else?

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Should we do this during the warm months? Yes.

What night of the week is best? It varies for me. Monday has been working well.

Distance of targets? Keeping with the theme of being better prepared for scenarios we might encounter in self defense situation, I’d like to see it continue with a variety of distances.

Strong hand or Weak hand how much is best? One stage/night requiring strong/weak/combo seems right.

Would a meg stage be a good idea? (meaning 18 rounds with no mandatory reload) How often? I’d personally rather not. I don’t have anything that holds 18. Maybe I should?

What else? I really value the feedback I’ve received. Maybe it’s not feasible, but if there was a way, more individual shooter feedback would really add to building skills match to match.

I keep coming back, so you’re doing something right!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It is almost scary to ask. But tell me what you think. I would like to know what people who have shot the match think. Anything and everything is in play. Be as constructive as possible but let it out.

I only have one feeling and it is buried deep inside. I am not planning on making changes until I run the match at Riley on March 31st. But I am starting to think about things now. I want your honest input.

Distance of targets?

Would a meg stage be a good idea? (meaning 18 rounds with no mandatory reload) How often?

What else?

I really enjoy these matches, and I would like to see them continue through the summer. I can’t always dedicate a weekend day to shooting the club matches, but I can easily make these every couple weeks.

I like the relatively realistic self defense distances we’ve had so far. Some more movement would be nice. I know space is limited, but even the little bit of movement tonight with the barrels was nice. I’ll probably regret asking for this, but I’d also like to see more no-shoots, possibly in a layout that requires some movement to get a clean shot on the threat.

I’d also love to see some low-light scenarios mixed in if that’s as all possible.

Wednesday’s work best for me, though another day wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

Taurus the turtle

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I think this is great and been fun and educational.

I think any time we have to is great because it makes us reaquire the target and the site picture, even if just a little. It doesn’t have to be USPSA style movement. I am thinking something like, move in to box and double tap target A, move out of the box and double tap target B, move back in the box and double tap target C. Hell it could be the same target each time.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm good on the weekday. Distances seem like a good mix to me. I like the one-hand/weak hand in one stage maybe two, definitely something to have in the mix. Changing things up like t-shirts on targets, good guy targets and other colored targets make things harder but you learn what colors give you trouble.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Should we do this during the warm months? Yes

What night of the week is best? Monday's seem to work surprisingly well for me

Distance of targets? This may not be safe or realistic in this setup and I don't know how you would score it, but I found shooting close up targets say arms length where you could not extend your pistol full arms length to shoot removed some fears I didn't know I had about firing from close to the body. I understand the safety concern for certain but it could also be real world scenario .

Strong hand or Weak hand how much is best? I need work on sh wh so maybe once a month with a couple stages geared toward that would be good

Would a meg stage be a good idea? (meaning 18 rounds with no mandatory reload) How often? This would be fun and I am all for it but for me I need more practice with reloading and drawing from concealment.

What else? A little more movement would be good and I like using the barrels. I also like the no shoot or hostage setups

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    How about a no shoot swinger behind the targets and a couple on the front so we can apply the "know the target and what's behind it" at +15yd?

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Should we do this during the warm months? I initially got attracted to this as it was an opportunity in the colder, less daylight months. I will be less committed when the weather gets better (read additional commitments and summer activities competing for time). I suspect attendance will dwindle but have been wrong before.

What night of the week is best? Avoid Friday nights since I suspect people may travel or jump start the week end. Other than that it's a crap shoot.

Distance of targets? Since the focus is EDC I'd keep it 'close' to how you have it. I would like to see a very close engagement distance. Say step out the box, and as you round the barrel/barricade you have a point blank type situation. Longer 15 yard scenario's are good too and you seem to have that covered.

Strong hand or Weak hand how much is best? Min of one stage per week as weak hand. Roll a dice and whatever stage comes up make that stage weak hand. I don't plan stages so I don't know if special arrangements need to be considered so this may or may not be a good idea. Bottom line is we would need to deal with any or all of these scenario's with out 'off' hand.

There were a couple of those stages last night on the poppers! Seriously though this is fine with me say once a quarter. Not sure how many 18 round gunfights are likely but even if it's one I would like to be prepared or see the short comings of my gear.

What else?
    Something low light as previously mentioned.
    No shoot, restricted shoot target/s.
    Movement. Move out of the box, around barrels where a target is moving towards you. Not sure if this is permitted where we can shoot a target is actually moving towards the shooter.
    T shirts on targets so we are not conditioned to focus on the specific target zones/outlines.

You, Vivian, Charlie et al are doing a great job with this and each week has been great so far.

Last edited:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I was able to make it to the first match and I enjoyed the format.
    Week nights are great as long as I'm not working, I am unable to get to the range by 1715 . Nothing can be done about that:):
    One hand shooting should be incorporated into at least one stage per match, we all need the practice.
    A Medium course one in awhile would be fine, keep the reload after 6 shots rule to even the playing field if its deemed to be a problem.
    A little bit of low light is always welcome.
    I think that doing this in the summer months is a great idea

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Yes, especially when it's too hot to shoot outside!

Mondays are no-go for me. Any other night is possible. Wednesdays are the best for me.

Distance of targets?

Variety is good. I'd like to see some very close that you shoot from a retention position. And of course I mean an actual retention position that protects the gun, not what they call "from retention" in IDPA (which is retarded).

I think an occasional 18-20 yard shot or two is a good idea as well.

More! And some shooting on the move one handed as well. Maybe even a stage wherein only one hand is used for everything, including reloads, clearing malfunctions, etc.

They're always fun and just because they're unlikely in "real life," it doesn't mean it can't happen that you need to expend a lot of rounds.

I don't think a level playing field in terms of rounds and reloads is a good idea. I think shoot what you really carry. If you carry a 5 shot snubby, deal with the limits and prove that it's a viable choice. Prove to yourself what you can really do with it under stress. For people who really carry guns that hold 12-22 rounds, I think it's a bad idea to condition them to reload after six shots. Lots of rounds is an advantage we purposely choose so make use of the tool the way it's intended.

It would help if everyone chose to shoot what they really, but if you have a timer and keep score, not everyone is going to stick with the intent.

Along those lines, I'm not sure why people would shoot a gun to have an advantage in a shooting a match, but not choose to have the same advantage for the far more serious application of daily carry where it's a competition that you should be even more motivated to win.

What else?

• 3-D targets where the aiming points/target areas change depend on your relative position.
    • Reactive targets like the "box" targets that fall when you hit a balloon inside.
    • Reacting and shooting from a seated position.
    • Second gun use.
    • Low light.
    • Surprise stages - no looking at the target layout before you shoot.
    • Induced malfunctions (like a randomly inserted dummy round in a mag, or starting with a staged double feed using dummies).
    • Movement around obstacles like chairs or people.
    • Shooting while protecting/in contact with another person.

Last edited:

PhxCollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2017
    Indiana
    I have shot most of these and, even though I am not very good, I really enjoy them and learned a lot about magazines and reloads that I didn’t realize were potential issues ( carrying a 1911 without much specific practice is a bad idea for me ).

I would love love to see a “surprise” stage where I have to figure out which one of the T-shirt’s is the bad guy. I would think that might be the first thing to figure out in a real shooting.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

Yes, especially when it's too hot to shoot outside!

Mondays are no-go for me. Any other night is possible. Wednesdays are the best for me.

Distance of targets?

Variety is good. I'd like to see some very close that you shoot from a retention position. And of course I mean an actual retention position that protects the gun, not what they call "from retention" in IDPA (which is retarded).

I think an occasional 18-20 yard shot or two is a good idea as well.

More! And some shooting on the move one handed as well. Maybe even a stage wherein only one hand is used for everything, including reloads, clearing malfunctions, etc.

They're always fun and just because they're unlikely in "real life," it doesn't mean it can't happen that you need to expend a lot of rounds.

I don't think a level playing field in terms of rounds and reloads is a good idea. I think shoot what you really carry. If you carry a 5 shot snubby, deal with the limits and prove that it's a viable choice. Prove to yourself what you can really do with it under stress. For people who really carry guns that hold 12-22 rounds, I think it's a bad idea to condition them to reload after six shots. Lots of rounds is an advantage we purposely choose so make use of the tool the way it's intended.

It would help if everyone chose to shoot what they really, but if you have a timer and keep score, not everyone is going to stick with the intent.

Along those lines, I'm not sure why people would shoot a gun to have an advantage in a shooting a match, but not choose to have the same advantage for the far more serious application of daily carry where it's a competition that you should be even more motivated to win.

What else?

• 3-D targets where the aiming points/target areas change depend on your relative position.
    • Reactive targets like the "box" targets that fall when you hit a balloon inside.
    • Reacting and shooting from a seated position.
    • Second gun use.
    • Low light.
    • Surprise stages - no looking at the target layout before you shoot.
    • Induced malfunctions (like a randomly inserted dummy round in a mag, or starting with a staged double feed using dummies).
    • Movement around obstacles like chairs or people.
    • Shooting while protecting/in contact with another person.

I agree with you on the round count thing.
    Up thread someone mentioned that the medium course was not a great idea because of the capacity limitations of their magazines. My comment was directed at competitive equity only.
    With 2 divisions a stage of 18 to 20 rounds would heavily favor those that have full size guns.
    I guess once a gamer always a gamer;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree with you on the round count thing.
    Up thread someone mentioned that the medium course was not a great idea because of the capacity limitations of their magazines. My comment was directed at competitive equity only.
    With 2 divisions a stage of 18 to 20 rounds would heavily favor those that have full size guns.
    I guess once a gamer always a gamer;)

You are quite gamey!

Heh!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I will say that with the traffic situation in that area.. It is difficult to even make 5:30pm to that range from Downtown indy.

Doesn't help though that now people are driving slow on Washington and Rockville east of 465 to even get to that area.

Indy Potholes to the left, Avon traffic to the right LOL.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I will say that with the traffic situation in that area.. It is difficult to even make 5:30pm to that range from Downtown indy.

Doesn't help though that now people are driving slow on Washington and Rockville east of 465 to even get to that area.

Indy Potholes to the left, Avon traffic to the right LOL.

Head west through Plainfield and take Dan Jones north to Avon. 36 is awful even outside of rush hour.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I like the idea of a blind stage but it will be very very slow, and I don't like that. Plus I would have an advantage over everyone else.

Top Bottom